Illustration shows three elderly naval officers questioning the spirit of John Paul Jones regarding the "Navy Dept. vs. Jones" for charges of conduct during the Revolutionary War, such as "Item 962 concerning the charge of cowardice" and on another paper "Did you get a rake-off in the Grog contract?" A map on the wall in the background shows "the loop of the Bonhomme Richard". The cartoonist is spoofing a court of inquiry requested by Admiral Winfield Scott Schley following accusations regarding his conduct during the Battle of Santiago.
Keppler, Udo J., 1872-1956, artist
- Cartoons (Commentary)--1900-1910.
- Magazine covers--1900-1910.
- Offset photomechanical prints--Color--1900-1910.
- Periodical illustrations--1900-1910.
- 1 photomechanical print : offset, color.
- Title from item.
- Caption: Chairman of Paul Jones Inquiry Board Captain Jones, did you or did you not say, "Damn the Alliance! Let her take care of herself!"
- Illus. in: Puck, v. 57, no. 1480 (1905 July 12), cover.
- Copyright 1905 by Keppler & Schwarzmann.