Share 
Glendale, Ohio Heritage Preservation Museum, View 1 Bishop family photo
BettyJane Carl
Added
by

Glendale, Ohio Heritage Preservation Museum, View 1

The Glendale Heritage Preservation Museum is part of a shopping district in Glendale, Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati. It used to be a B & O railway depot, and has been refurbished. It was one of the railway depots to which Mary Genevieve Bishop from Terra Alta, West Virginia was assigned as a telegrapher during World War II, others among them being Caro and Ottawa, both in Ohio. During the war, twenty some women had been trained by the B & O to take the place of their male telegraphers who had been called into military service. After the war, Mary and her best friend, Esther Phifer, were the only two women who were retained by the B & O. Mary went on to marry George Clarence Carl, another railway telegrapher who worked for the B & O before and after serving in the war. Working in different depots, George proposed to Mary via the railroad's Morse telegraphy key, and his proposal was intercepted up and down the lines, making the area newspapers. They were married in Elmwood, and later on, they both worked together in the depot at Cridersville, Ohio. ... show more

Write a comment
Photo taken at Glendale, Hamilton Co, Ohio USA on
Glendale, Ohio Heritage Preservation Museum, View 1

Mary Bishop

Mini-biography
Born: Mar 25, 1896
Died: unknown
Also in this photo: Mary Bishop