[Great Hall. Detail of cherubs representing the literary...
[Great Hall. Detail of cherubs representing the literary genres on the Grand staircase by Philip Martiny. Library of Congress Thomas Jefferson Building, Washington, D.C.]
1 photograph : digital, TIFF file, color.
Photo shows "Cherubs represent the literary genres of Comedy, Poetry, and Tragedy. The first has a comic mask and the ivy-wreathed wand of Bacchus, to whom the first comedies were dedicated. Poetry has a scroll, and Tragedy holds a tragic mask." (Source: MyLOC.gov Great Hall exhibit, 2008)
- Title devised by Library staff.
- Forms part of the Carol M. Highsmith Archive.
- Highsmith (Carol M.) Archive
Martiny, Philip, 1858-1927 , sculptor
- Library of Congress Thomas Jefferson Building (Washington, D.C.)--2000-2010.
- Architectural sculpture--Washington (D.C.)--2000-2010.
- Digital photographs--Color--2000-2010.
Highsmith, Carol M., 1946-, photographer
- Album: Author & Journalist