This headstone was placed in February 2000 by the gg grandsons of William J. and Catherine M. Goodwin. William J. Goodwin was born in Indiana in 1818 and came west to the Oregon Territory in 1849 He was married to Catherine Mary Roberts who was born in 1819 in Tennessee. Arriving in Clark County, they settled on Mill Plain and filed for a Donation Land Claim on August 15, 1850. William was sworn in as Clerk of the Probate Court of Clark County on July 1, 1850, and on December 2, 1851, he was issued a license to establish a ferry from the head of LadyÕs Island to the mouth of Washougal River. An item in the Vancouver Independent relates the following: William Goodwin and family moved to The Dalles March 11, 1880, and leased The Dalles House for a term of three years. She died in the Dalles in May 1889 and William moved to Bellingham, WA to live with his daughter Jennie Draper. He died in December, 1902 and was shipped back to the Dalles for burial. Note the date of death for William on the stone is wrong.
at Oddfellows Cemetery, Section 25Q, The Dalles, Oregon