Oklahoma Refugees, 1935
Refugees from Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl arrive in San Fernando, California. This (unnamed family) photo was taken in June of 1935 by Dorothea Lange, who documented many affects of the Dust Bowl on the farmers. The caption says: "More Oklahomans reach Calif. via the cotton fields of Ariz." The family seems to be carrying all of their possessions in their car and there is a box on the front bumper labeled "Scotch Soap'. ... show more
- Annotation on original negative jacket: DL.
- Title and other information from caption card.
- LOT 0343 (Location of corresponding print).
- Transfer; United States. Office of War Information. Overseas Picture Division.
- More information about the FSA/OWI Collection is available at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.fsaowi
- Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives
- United States--California--Los Angeles County--San Fernando.
- Nitrate negatives.