Ukiyo-e print illustration showing people gathered around a charcoal brazier to tell ghost stories, as a man creeps towards a lamp to extinguish one wick after each story, making the room darker and darker.
Kawanabe, Gyōsai, 1831-1889, artist
- Book illustrations--1890.
- 1 print (2 pages) : woodcut, color.
- Illus. in: Gyōsai hyakki gadan. Tōkyō : Kaishinrō zō, Meiji 23 .
- Title devised by Library staff.
- Published in: The floating world of Ukiyo-e : shadows, dreams, and substance / essays by Sandy Kita ... [et al.], New York : Abrams in association with the Library of Congress, 2001, p. 98.
- Exhibited: "The Floating world of Ukiyo-e: shadows, dreams and substances," organized by the Library of Congress, 2001.