Order of Myths, Mobile's first and oldest Mardi Gras...
Order of Myths, Mobile's first and oldest Mardi Gras society, Mobile, Alabama ... show more
- One of Mobile's most secretive, the OOMs (Double-Ohh-Mms) secret society was founded in 1867, one year after Joe Cain's fateful first ride through the streets of Mobile in the guise of Chief Slacabamorinico, and the organization's first parade rolled on Feb. 25, 1868. One of the trademarks of the OOM (Order of the Myths) society is the float that is the first one of the last parade at the Mobile, Alabama Mardi Gras. Pulled by mules, the float has a broken column (the broken column of life) and Death chases Folly around the column. Mardi Gras is the one time of the year that Folly triumphs over Death. This event is the Sunday Party that takes place the Sunday before the Mardi Gras parade. It is attended by the members of the Order of the Myths.
- Title, date, subject note, and keywords provided by the photographer.
- Credit line: The George F. Landegger Collection of Alabama Photographs in Carol M. Highsmith's America, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
- Gift; George F. Landegger; 2010; (DLC/PP-2010:090).
- Forms part of: George F. Landegger Collection of Alabama Photographs in Carol M. Highsmith's America Project in the Carol M. Highsmith Archive.
- Highsmith (Carol M.) Archive
- United States--Alabama--Mobile.
- Mardi Gras.
- Order of the Myths.
- Digital photographs--Color--2000-2010.