Recreational structures. Big Ridge Lake. Diving tower, beach and bath house may be seen in the background. This forty-five acre body of water has proved an attractive recreation spot for thousands of visitors since it was first opened to the public in May 1934. Encircled by the 3,500 acres of wooded hills in Big Ridge Park, the resort is provided with a boathouse, bath house, a public lodge, nineteen modern vacation cabins and a beach with a specially constructed pool for children. Located on the eastern boundary of Norris reservoir about twenty-five miles northeast of Knoxville, Tennessee, the lake was formed by constuction of a small dam across one of the arms of the reservoir. This recreation area and the 3,800 acre Noris Park near Norris Dam were developed by the National Park Service and the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in cooperation with the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). This is one of many comparable parks on TVA reservoirs, most of which are in use and greatly enjoyed by tourists as well as residents of the surrounding area who previously had few, if any, outdoor opportunites for ourtdoor sport and recreation. The completion of other recreational parks has been prevented by the war
Part of the U.S. Library of Congress's Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection (Library of Congress).
- Safety film negatives.
- 1 negative : safety ; 4 x 5 inches or smaller.
- Original Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) number: KX 833.
- Title and other information from caption sheet entry.
- Transfer; United States. Office of War Information. Overseas Picture Division. Washington Division; 1944.
- More information about the FSA/OWI Collection is available at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.fsaowi
- Film copy on SIS roll 0, frame 0.