The David Whitney House
Constructed in 1890-94 for David Whitney, the Whitney House is an excellent example of the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. In 1857, Mr. Whitney came west to Detroit to run the operations of two East Coast firms involved in the lumber industry. By the 1870s, Whitney had branched out on his own, investing in pinelands primarily in Wisconsin and Michigan. Becoming involved in maritime transportation, Whitney also owned an extensive fleet of steam barges and consorts.
- Album: All photos