Illustration shows a vignette cartoon depicting scenes from travel, such as a shocked woman confronted by a "U.S. Customs" scarecrow; a distorted view of Pisa aided by "a wonderful quality of chianti"; a Dutch woman exchanging her traditional costume for the latest Parisian fashions after the tourists have gone home; a composite of images from "one of those hurried tours around the world", compressing sites from many places into a single image/impression; ruins that remind the traveler of construction projects back home; a woman sitting on a lonely beach populated with signs for the many different "seas" she has encountered while traveling; and what may be a self-portrait of the artist sending postcards from places around the world, while never leaving home.
Mayer, Henry, 1868-1954, artist
- Cartoons (Commentary)--1910-1920.
- Offset photomechanical prints--Color--1910-1920.
- Periodical illustrations--1910-1920.
- 1 photomechanical print : offset, color.
- Title from item.
- Illus. in: Puck, v. 76, no. 1956 (1914 August 29), centerfold.
- Hy Mayer's work appears regularly and exclusively in Puck.
- Copyright 1914 by Puck Publishing Corporation.