West Texas, Dust Bowl 1937
A photo of unnamed west Texas farmers visiting the nearest town (also not identified) during the Dust Bowl in June of 1937. This photo was taken by Dorothea Lange who traveled the United States, documenting the Dust Bowl and the Depression for the Farm Security Administration.
Interesting note: Today, businesses don't want people "loitering" outside. In the 1930's, businesses supplied benches for people to sit and visit!
- Title and other information from caption card.
- LOT 0547 (Location of corresponding print).
- Transfer; United States. Office of War Information. Overseas Picture Division. Washington Division; 1944.
- More information about the FSA/OWI Collection is available at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.fsaowi
- Film copy on SIS roll 40, frame 167.
- Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives
- United States--Texas.
- Small towns--Texas
- Nitrate negatives.
- Album: Dust Bowl