"Bacalhau de Natas (Bacalhau Com Natas)" Medeiros family story
· 4 large slices of Bacalhau (Cod fish)
· 1 kg Potatoes
· 500 gr Onions
· 1/2 cup Olive Oil
· 1 tablespoon Parsley
· 1/2 cup Chopped Olives
· 1 1/2 cup Milk
· 4 Eggs
· 1 pint Half Whipped Cream
· 1 tablespoon Corn Starch
1. Soak fish overnight in water.
2. Put fish in pot and let boil for 5 mins.
3. After draining the fish, shred them into small pieces. Put them aside.
4. Peel the potatoes, and then cut them into very small cubes. After you cut them, fry them. Set them aside.
5. In a big pot, stir fry the onions in the olive oil over a low fire. Add some black pepper to the mixture. When the onions brown, add the parsley and chopped olives.
6. Lower the temperature and add the fish to the pot, keep stirring them in so they do not burn for about a minute.
7. Add all the milk to the pot.
8. Mix the corn starch well with some water in a small bowl .
9. Add the corn starch/water mixture into the pot.
10. Keep stirring for about a minute.
11. Take the pot off of the stove and set it aside. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
12. In a bowl, beat egg whites until it is a thick, creamy foam.
13. Beat the yolk into the eggs whites for a few seconds, just to mix them.
14. Add the eggs into the pot, and mix them very well.
15. Pour the contents of the pot into a Pyrex (or something else that is oven-safe).
16. In a bowl, beat the whipped cream until it becomes thick foam.
17. Spread the foam over the surface of the Bacalhau.
18. Cook the whole Pyrex in the oven at 350 degrees until the whole dish becomes golden.
19. Bacalhau can be served hot or cold.