"Old Hopewell Cemetery" Mayfield family story
Cemetery met recently to plan for the clearing, fencing and future maintenance of
the cemetery. The cemetery is located in Franklin Township, Floyd County, Indiana.
The land for the log church which no longer stands and the cemetery was deeded in
1837 by Robert and Martha Sampson LaFollette of the earliest if not the first white
settlers in Floyd County Indiana. Forrest Campbell, Roscoe Phillip Mayfield and Chester E. Toops were elected as trustees of the newly formed Hopewell Cemetery
Association. Those interested in assisting with the above projects and the restoration
of this historic cemetery may send their donations to the secretary - treasurer Mr. Forrest Campbell Georgetown, Indiana, Route No.3. Another meeting is planned within the year and it is hoped that those interested in Old Hopewell Cemetery may
attend. Further notice will be sent to the papers of the time and place. Those present
were Forrest Campbell, Roscoe Phillip Mayfield, E. Heinze, Chester E. Toops, Evelyn
Sampson Richardson, Mrs. Emma Heinze, Mrs. Margaret Kinzer, Mrs. Edna Ketzner,
Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Gresham, Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Hartman, Mr. and Mrs. William
LaFollette, Morris White, Terry Kinzer and Larry Hartman.