Choate Family History & Genealogy
Biographies & Family Trees
Choate Last Name History & Origin
Nationality & Ethnicity
These are the earliest records we have of the Choate family.
Choate Death Records & Life Expectancy
According to our database of 4,418 people with the last name Choate that have a birth and death date listed:
These are the longest-lived members of the Choate family on AncientFaces.
- Elizabeth Choate lived 107 years
- Grace B Choate lived 105 years
- Hilda Choate lived 106 years
- Rosa Choate lived 103 years
- Lola Bell Choate lived 102 years
- Eula F Choate lived 100 years
- Lois J Choate lived 100 years
- Lilly I Choate lived 101 years
- Charles Choate lived 101 years
- John Robert Choate lived 101 years
Veletta Maria Choate was born the 10th of May 1934 in Flint Michigan.
• Veletta is one of nine children born to Rosa Cain and Charles Choate.
o Her Siblings are Leslie, Loretta, Melva, Rosalee, Shirley, Sandra, Roberta, and Loren.
o She had three half siblings by her father’s first marriage; Genevieve, Violet and Carlton.
• Veletta married twice, first to Herman West the 15th of August 1953, and then five years after Herman’s death she married Acey Frazier.
o Veletta and Herman had six children; Rose, Neil, Herman, Edward, Lorrine and Nancy.
o She lost Neil and Edward early in their lives.
o Veletta is a mother, grandmother and a great-grandmother.
o Rose married Danny Vliet and had two daughters Criquette and Mandilynn.
Rose is the grandmother for Criquette’s children Danny and SaraAnn and to Mandilynn’s daughter Abby and her step daughter Jasmine.
o Herman married Janna Lane and adopted three of her four children; Christopher, Desirae, Cody and Andrew.
o Lorrine had two sons Donald and Jason, and two stepchildren, David and Sara from her marriage to Arthur (Bill) Carr.
Lorrine is the grandmother to Sarah’s daughters Alexandra Lillian and Brooklynn Marie and to David’s daughter Hannah Leigh.
o Nancy married Mark Dalle and had one boy and one girl, Bobby and Merissa.
Nancy is the grandmother of Merissa’s children Mackynzee Nicole and Ethan Joseph.
• Veletta currently resides in Flushing Michigan living with her daughter Rose Vliet.
o She draws a retirement from the State of Michigan.
o She has been a member of the Salvation Army Church for over 30 years.
o She taught many classes at the Summer Camp
o She led the Sunbeams on their Journeys.
Sunbeams are a Christian group open to girls who are in the 1st through 5th grades of school. Any girl regardless of race, color, or religion may become a member of the local Sunbeam troop. Sunbeam is a character building program sponsored by the Salvation Army.
o She is a member of the Home league, She is a YPSM Solider, She is President of her local chapter of SERA, She was President of her local chapter of ABWA, She won the Evangeline Booth Leadership Award, and She was senior citizen of the year for 2000; award was presented by Mayor Woodrow Stanley.
My mother’s father was Charles Choate. (Also listed as Chas L Choate)
Charles Leslie Choate was born in Caro Tuscola County Michigan on the 7th of December 1888.
• He is one of three children born to William M Choate and Sabrina Hutchinson.
o His siblings were Frank, William and Arthur.
Arthur Frederick Choate was born in Almer Twp Tuscola Michigan on the 1st of October 1890.
Still researching William Choate.
Frank Choate was born in 1890, he Married Mamie McAlpine on the 26th of February in Owendale, Huron County Michigan, they had three children Ruby born in 1917, Frank born in 1919 and Ruth born in 1923.
o Michigan records show that his parents were William and Ceprino Choat.
• Charles married twice, first to Edith B Wallace (Daughter of Thomas Wallace and Martha Guthra) on the 21st of June 1913 in Lapeer Michigan.
o Charles and Edythe had four children, Genevieve, Violet, Carlton and an infant not named. Edythe died in childbirth for the fourth child; she and the child are buried together in Lapeer Michigan.
• Charles then married Rosa Cain (Daughter of Albert Cain and Rose Robinson) in Flint Michigan on the 27th of February 1926.
o Charles and Rosa had nine children.
o Charles helped Rosa raise her son from her first marriage; John Benoit.
• 1918 – WWI Draft Notification for Charles L Choate.
• 1920 Census Bay Michigan shows Charles, Edythe, Genevieve, Violet and Carl.
• 1930 Census show him living in Flint, Genesee Michigan with Rosa, Genevieve, Violet, Carlton, John and Leslie. The first three children are from Charles first marriage, the forth child is from Rosa’s first marriage and Leslie is the oldest of their children.
• Charles Leslie Choate died on the 26th of August 1957 in Michigan.
o He was 69 years old.
William M Choate was born in 1849 in Germany, exact location and date is not known at this time.
• No information has been found for Parents or siblings.
o I have found some references to a Hiram Choat (No E on the last name), he is from Prussia the right age and is from the same area in Michigan and he had a son named William that would be the right age, but I have not confirmed this yet.
• William married Sabrina Hutchinson (Daughter of Russell Hutchinson and Elizabeth Patterson) on the 4th of August 1887 in Almer Michigan.
o (Tuscola County, Michigan Dibean Marriage Index - William Choat (no E0 and Sabina Elen Hutchinson, witness were Matilda Choat and Albert Greenwood, have not found the connection between Matilda and William, could she be a sister?
o William and Sabrina had three children.
• In the 1880 Federal Census District 196 Big Prairie Newago Michigan – there is a William Choate 35 a Hired man, single, laborer, from Prussia. Could this be our William, if so, then his birth date is off by 5 years.
o In the 1920 Federal Census District 4 Brookfield, Huron Michigan there is a Frank A Choate which fits the right age for his son.
• William died in 1909, in Michigan.
o He was 59 years old.
Possible Research - - Buried in the Fremont Township cemetery at Mayville, Tuscola County, Michigan – # 48
William D Choate b. 22 Aug 1822, d 21 Jan 1898 75y, 5m /
Cordelia j Choate, b (approx 1826) d. 29 Jun 1867, 41y 11m 10 d w/o Wm D
Charles L Choate, b (approx 1861) d. 6 Apr 1872, 11y 4m 21d only s/o Wd & CJ
Sarah E Bryant, b (approx 1850) d 10 Dec 1868, 18y 3m 11d d/o WD and CH Choate
There are also many Choate’s buried in St. Paul’s Cemetery in Monroe County – how and if they are related is not known: Emerson Choate, Louisa Choate, Mary Choate, N Choate, and Samuel Choate.
[external link] t
The following Choates were found here – they are most likely related to our William.
Annie Choate Married George Taylor 12/25/1884
Ellen J Choate married Alva Andrews 11/26/1874
George A Choate married Minnie Beyett 08/20/1884
Jennie E Choate married Lucius E Holland 10/15/1876
M J Choate married H L Beyett 11/15/1881
Mattie Cordelia Choat married Isaac Arthur Veitch 03/02/1871
Minnie Choate married B C Martin 12/25/1884
Sarah Eliza Choate married Alison Bryant 02/09/1868
William D Choat married Mary J A Edwards 02/28/1871
No additional information has been found for the Choate name. Further research will need to be conducted at a later date.
Web Links Used for Research