Durkin Surname History
At least one branch of the Durkin family is Irish. An infamous member of the Durkin family was car thief Martin James Durkin, known as the first man to kill a Federal agent. This Durkin history and genealogy page contains the contributed history of the Durkin family name made up of user-submitted content from users like you. Durkin family history has rich origins of which the particulars can be pieced together by Durkin family members. The last name Durkin is an old lineage that has migrated all across the world over the centuries, and as the Durkin family has migrated, it has evolved making it's etymology a challenge to unearth.
The family history of the Durkin last name is maintained by the AncientFaces community. Join the community by adding to to our knowldge of the Durkin:
- Durkin country of origin, nationality, & ethnicity
- Durkin last name meaning & etymology
- Durkin spelling & pronunciation
Latest photos on AncientFaces
No one from the Durkin community has shared photos. Here are new photos on AncientFaces:
Durkin Country of Origin, Nationality, & Ethnicity
Durkin Meaning & Etymology
No one has submitted information on Durkin meaning and etymology. Add to this section
No content has been submitted about the meaning of Durkin. The following is speculative information about Durkin. You can submit your information by clicking Edit.
The meaning of Durkin come may come from a trade, such as the name "Dean" which may have been adopted by members of the clergy. Some of these trade-based surnames may be a profession in a different language. For this reason it is good to know the nationality of a name, and the languages spoken by its early ancestors. Many modern names like Durkin are inspired by religious texts such as the Bhagavadgītā, the Quran, the Bible, and so on. In many cases these surnames relate to a religious expression such as "From the ash tree".
Durkin Pronunciation & Spelling Variations
No one has added information on Durkin spellings or pronunciations. Add to this section
No content has been submitted about alternate spellings of Durkin. The following is speculative information about Durkin. You can submit your information by clicking Edit.
In early history when few people could write, names such as Durkin were transliterated based on how they were heard by a scribe when people's names were written in government records. This could have given rise misspellings of Durkin. Researching misspellings and spelling variations of the Durkin last name are important to understanding the history of the name. Names like Durkin change in their pronunciation and spelling as they travel across tribes, family lines, and languages over generations.
Last names similar to DurkinDurkind, Durking, Durkinger, Durkin Jr, Durkin-Lopez, Durkino, Durkinrogelio, Durkins, Durkinwilliam, Durkip, Durkirk, Durkis, Durkish, Durkit, Durkiu, Durkle, Durkler, Durkley, Durklin, Durkln
Durkin Family Tree
Here are a few of the Durkin biographies shared by AncientFaces users. Click here to see more Durkins
- Catherine Durkin
- Dominic J Durkin 1930 - 2011
- John Durkin 1899 - 1973
- Julia F Durkin 1920 - 1996
- Shirley J Durkin 1933 - 2005
- Kathleen Durkin 1903 - 1974
- Brian P Durkin 1960 - 1997
- John Durkin 1896 - 1972
- Paul E Durkin 1929 - 1996
- James Michael Durkin 1937 - 2011
Famous People named Durkin
Infamous member of the Durkin family:
- Martin James Durkin (1900-1981) was an American criminal and car thief. He is credited as the first man to kill a federal agent and was the subject of an intense manhunt by the FBI. Personally led by J. Edgar Hoover who had been recently appointed the Director of the FBI, it was one of the first major investigations by the agency, who were led by Durkin on a three-month chase through five states before his capture in 1926. Convicted - Murder Penalty 35 years imprisonment. Paroled from Leavenworth Penitentiary in 1954. Occupation: Car thief