Enid Whittlesey (1895 - 1981)

A photo of Enid Whittlesey
Enid Whittlesey
1895 - 1981
January 2, 1895
Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, United States
March 13, 1981
1812 Cimarron street in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Other Names
Enid Caroline Whittlesey, Enid Youngman (Whittlesey)
Enid Whittlesey of 1812 Cimarron Street, in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California was born on January 2, 1895 in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois United States, and died at age 86 years old on March 13, 1981 at 1812 Cimarron street in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California. Enid Whittlesey was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale.
Updated: July 25, 2022
Biography ID: 87556290

Enid Whittlesey's Biography

Family, friend, or fan this Collaborative Biography is for you to show & tell Enid's life so that she is always remembered.
About Enid


Enid Caroline Whittlesey's parents were Charles Frederick Whittlesey (1867-1941), and Edith May Cruver (1870-1948), and her siblings were Austin Cruver (1893-1950), Harold Cruver (1896-1959), and Beatrice Helen Whittlesey (1898-1988).

Her father, Charles F. Whittlesey, was a famed architect who designed the Philharmonic Auditorium, the Hotel Huntington in Pasadena, a number of railway stations, and was one of the first to use reinforced concrete. See C. F. Whittlesey Taken by Death for more details.

In the late 1800s the family was living in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, and in 1906 moved to the San Francisco Bay Area so that Charles could aid in the reconstruction of San Francisco following the earthquake and associated fire. See The San Francisco Earthquake - April 18, 1906.

Enid's parents Charles and Edith divorced, and according to the 1920 census, Enid was 25 and living with her mother Edith and brother Harold and sister Beatrice in Berkeley, Alameda County, California. At that time Beatrice was a teacher, and Enid wasn't working.

Enid was passionate about music and dance. She studied under an Oakland musician named Ray Youngman with whom she fell in love. The family didn't approve and sent Enid across country to tour as a dancer with the Marion Morgan Dancers who were a popular vaudeville act at the time. See The Marion Morgan Dancers.

While many genealogy sources will say that Enid was not married, she was indeed married to Ray Youngman for a brief period of time. Enid's father, Charles, supposedly forced Ray Youngman at gunpoint to marry his daughter in San Francisco one night when it was discovered that Enid and Ray had an intimate relationship. See Husband Who Says Fear Made Him Bigamist Now is Dodging the Police for details.

Two days later Ray filed annulment proceedings and Enid discovered that her long time love and new husband already had a wife. The marriage was annulled in June of 1921. Enid was absolutely heart broken and isolated herself in San Francisco for a period of time. See Girl to Forget Sorrow on Stage for more details.

Not much is known about Enid's life after those difficult days in the early 1920s. As with all news, the San Francisco Bay Area eventually forgot about the love triangle, allowing Enid to continue pursuing her dancing career.

The 1940 census tells us that Enid was living in Los Angeles until approximately 1935, then moved to Avenal Kings County California. She was a lodger living with George & Dorothy R Scofield in this rather isolated location. She listed her occupation as an artist. Shortly afterwards, she returned to Los Angeles where she would live for the rest of her life.

Tragically, in March 1981, 86 years old Enid was murdered. A home intruder repeatedly stabbed and left her to die as he ransacked her home that she had lived in for the prior forty years at 1812 Cimarron Street in Los Angeles. No suspects were known, and unfortunately, the case became cold.

It wasn't until 1997, 16 years after Enid's death, that her murder was solved thanks to Detective Frank Bolan of the Los Angeles Police department. Detective Bolan remembered Enid's unsolved murder case at 1812 Cimarron Street, when investigating recent murders of elderly women in Inglewood California.

The detective checked to see if fingerprints of a suspect in the recent murders matched those found at Enid's home, and while they did not, the recently updated computerized database file of fingerprints found a match to Karl Franklin Stewart. In January 1997, Karl Franklin Stewart, age 41 by that time, was charged with the murder of Enid Whittlesey. See Man charged in 16-year-old murder - UPI ARCHIVES JAN. 29, 1997 to read the story of his arrest.

The jurors deliberated only two hours before returning a guilty verdict which resulted in then 43 year old Franklin Stewart receiving a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. See High-tech conviction.

Her murder was featured on an episode of "Forensic Files" season 7, which first aired on May 17 2003. The show is titled "Sleight of Hand" and is described as: "The suspect in the 1981 murder of Enid Whittlesey in her California home eludes arrest for 17 years because the police can't tie him to it. That changes, however, when investigators learn the culprit is left-handed, putting a new spin on old facts leading to the arrest and conviction of Carl Stewart."
Looking for someone else?
Enid Whittlesey
Most commonly known as
Enid Whittlesey
Full legal name
Enid Caroline Whittlesey, Enid (Whittlesey) Youngman
Other names or aliases

Name & aliases

1812 Cimarron Street, in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California 90019
Last place lived

Last residence

January 2, 1895
Chicago, Cook County, Illinois United States
Birth location

Birth details


Ethnicity & Family History

Enid was Caucasian. The Whittlesey surname is an English last name that originated from Whittlesey which is a market town and civil parish in the Fenland district of Cambridgeshire, England. See Whittlesey for more details.

Nationality & Locations

Enid was born and grew up in Chicago Illinois until the family moved to 201 Highland Park Circle SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico in what is known as "The Whittlesey House". The 2 story Norwegian villa inspired home was designed by her father Charles Whittlesey and built as his family residence in 1903 on the western edge of the Highland east of Albuquerque. When this home was first developed, it stood virtually alone on the Highland away from the town. The family lived at The Whittlesey House for only a few years until 1905 when the family moved to San Francisco California. Enid lived in various locations since her father Charles Frederick Whittlesey (1867-1941) was an in-demand architect who developed numerous buildings around the country. She also travelled significantly with her dance career. However, from 1906 onwards she lived in California - beginning in the San Francisco Bay Area, a brief time in Avenal, and ultimately ended up living in Los Angeles for forty years at 1812 Cimarron street.


On various census records Enid indicates that she had two years of college education. At the time when she would have gone to college she would have been living in the San Francisco Bay Area, or possibly Los Angeles. The particular college is unknown.


Baptism date
Place of worship

Baptism date & location

Was Enid a religious woman?


Enid was passionate about music and dance, and toured the country with the vaudeville Marion Morgan dancers around 1919/1920. It is believed that Enid continued to perform after the love triangle events. See Girl to Forget Sorrow on Stage.

Personal Life

Daughter to the famed architect Charles Frederick Whittlesey, Enid was a talented dancer and achieved recognition with the famed vaudeville Morgan dancers. After her parents divorced, she lived with her mother. Her love for Oakland musician Ray Youngman led to years of notoriety with the San Francisco Bay Area community. See Girl to Forget Sorrow on Stage. She led a quite life after those rough years in the 1920s, and eventually lived for forty years at 1812 Cimarron street in Los Angeles. That is until her life was tragically taken from her in March 1981 when she was murdered in her home. The case went unsolved for sixteen years after her death, but ultimately was solved and the murderer put behind bars for the rest of his life.

Military Service

No known military affiliation.
March 13, 1981
Death date
Murdered during a home invasion - stabbed.
Cause of death
1812 Cimarron street in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California United States
Death location

Death details

Funeral date
Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, Los Angeles County, California United States
Burial location

Gravesite & burial


An official obituary for Enid has yet to be found.

Average Age & Life Expectancy

Enid Whittlesey lived 10 years longer than the average Whittlesey family member when she died at the age of 86.
The average age of a Whittlesey family member is 76.

Memories: Stories & Photos

Who is Enid Whittlesey to you? Share memories and family stories, photos, or ask questions.
Through sharing we discover more together. moment please
High-tech conviction
The following appeared in The Modesto Bee (Modesto, California) on Saturday May 22nd 1999:

Los Angeles - Jurors deliberated only two hours before returning guilty verdicts against a man in an 18-year murder case solved by detectives who traced fingerprints using a new police computer. Karl Franklin Stewart, 43, was convicted Thursday of first-degree murder, as well as burglary and robbery, in the killing of 88-year-old Enid Whittlesey on March 13, 1981. He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Husband Who Says Fear Made Him Bigamist Now is Dodging the Police
The following appeared in the Modesto Evening News in Modesto California on June 25th 1921:
Enid Whittlesey-Youngman was until recently one of the famed Morgan dancers, and now is the central figure in an involved "triangle" situation.

San Francisco, June 25- Ray Youngman, believing himself forgiven for leaving married Miss Enid Whittlesey Youngman when he already had a wife, today was being sought by police who held a warrant sworn out yesterday by the aggrieved girl. The warrant was issued after Miss Whittlesey, in an interview with Youngman's wife, had apparently resigned herself to relinquishing him and had determined to take solace in pursuing her career. But later she decided to pursue Youngman instead, and signed the official charge of bigamy.

Events have developed for the pair since their marriage last week. A few days after the wedding Youngman filed annulment proceedings, claiming he had been coerced into the marriage by Miss Whittlesey's father. Whittlesey, it is said, endeavored to induce his daughter to swear out the warrant earlier, but could not convince the girl that Youngman was married to another.

Police could not locate Youngman in the city today. Fear made him a bigamist says Youngman, who is a talented musician. The second marriage was entered into, he declares, under fear of death. Wife No. 2, Mrs. Enid Caroline Whittlesey Youngman, until recently was one of the celebrated Marion Morgan dancers. It is from her Youngman would be unwed.

On the other hand is wife No. 1- Doris Van Haltren Youngman, pianist. The attitude taken by both women not only complicates the situation, but makes it one of the strangest of so-called "triangles". Wife No. 1 calmly announces that she knows all about her husband's second wedding; that she knows of scores of letters written him by Wife No. 2; that she believes he was cirtually "hounded" into the wedding - and what are you going to do about it? She characterizes the matter as "the actions of a temperamental girl with artistic ambitions."

Wife No. 2 says she waited five years for the wedding day to roll roun; that she had been a pupil in Youngman's music class; that she has never ceased loving him and believes he loves her and won't believe he loves any other woman until she hears it from his own lips. "But even if he is married. I believe he belongs to me," she concludes with finality.

And in the background - the family of Miss Whittlesey, seeking to prosecute Youngman for bigamy and denying the use of force. The Whittlesey family insists that it had been understood for years that Enid was to marry Youngman; that she has loved no other man. They had hoped to make her forget him, it is said, by sending her entour with the Morgan dancers. She was applauded by thousands throughout the country, but success did not change her heart. She came back - thinking it was to the man she loved. But he had been married nearly a year. Visiting Youngman's studio she says he practically shut the door on her, insisting that he had a "private lesson" to give. Then she told her father. Whittlesey visited Youngman demanding a showdown. A dramatic scene followed. Youngman says his life was threatened; Whittlesey says it was not.

At any rate the wedding was performed a few hours later and Youngman became, technically, a bigamist.
Girl to Forget Sorrow on Stage
The following appeared in the Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California) on December 27th 1921:
Enid Whittlesey Evades Notoriety of Annulled Marriage By Studying.

Berkeley, Dec 27. - The sorrows brought by her love for Ray Youngman, Oakland musician, will be assuaged by Enid Whittlesey, talented Berkeley singer and dancer, in a professional stage career. At least, so her friends have learned. For Miss Whittlesey, since the notoriety which followed her marriage to Youngman last June and the subsequent disclosure that he already had a wife has secluded herself in San Francisco. Not even to her mother, Mrs. E. M. Whittlesey, in Berkeley, or her father, Charles F. Whittlesey, San Francisco architect, has she given her address, according to their statements.

"I'm not surprised that Enid is going on the stage again," says the mother. "But she has told me none of her plans. You see she rather objected to our 'interference' in her love affairs, although our only interest was for her welfare." "Enid drops in to see me, but she won't tell me where she lives," says Whittlesey, who is divorced from his wife.

That the seclusion which Miss Whittlesey has chosen for herself is one in which she is devoting all her efforts to perfecting her dancing and singing are preparatory to accepting a stage engagement is the answer given by her friends to her mysterious actions.

Miss Whittlesey already has a reputation as an artist to precede any additional professional work on her part. She toured the country with the Marion Morgan Dancers of vaudeville fame, and is unusually gifted in the Terpsichorean art. It was while she was studying vocal culture under Youngman that she became a principal in the tangled romance which led to a marriage performed one night in San Francisco at the point of a gun held by Miss Whittlesey's father. Whittlesey explained that Youngman had made love to his daughter and had promised to marry her. Fearful that tragedy would ensue, Youngman married the girl. Two days later he filed annulment proceedings. It was only then that his bride learned that he had another wife.

Miss Whittlesey was staunch in her love for Youngman. She refused to prosecute him on a bigamy charge and later when she filed such a complaint at the instigation of her parents she again changed heart and had the proceedings dismissed.
C. F. Whittlesey Taken by Death
The following appeared in the Los Angeles Times on Thursday January 2nd 1941:
Famed Architect One of First to Use Reinforced Concrete

Charles F. Whittlesey, 73, nationally known architect who designed the Philharmonic Auditorium and the Hotel Huntington in Pasadena, died yesterday at his home, 8519 W. Third St. Whittlesey was one of the first architects in America to make use of reinforced concrete, using exposed concrete surfaces with ornamentation cast in place.

Santa Fe Architect: He was born in Alton, Ill., in 1867. In 1900 he was appointed chief architect for the Santa Fe and he designed the railway stations of that company which characterized the buildings of the Pueblo Indians, a motif carried out to this day. He first gained attention when he built the Alvarado Hotel and the railway station at Albuquerque N.M., and El Tovar Hotel at Grand Canyon. These were erected in 1901-02.

Other Buildings: In 1905 he designed and directed the erection of the Philharmonic Auditorium here and soon afterward the Hotel Huntington, first known as Hotel Wentworth. Following the earthquake and fire in San Francisco in 1906, Whittlesey went there and aided in reconstruction. The Pacific building there was typical of his use of reinforced concrete in modern structures.

Whittlesey leaves two sons, Austin and Harold Whittlesey; two daughters, Enid and Beatrice Whittlesey, and his widow. Funeral services will be conducted at 2 p.m. at the Los Angeles Crematory Chapel, in charge of Pierce Bros. Cremation will follow.
Enid Whittlesey
A photo of Enid Whittlesey added to Find A Grave by medicalautopsie in Feb 2018
Date & Place: Not specified or unknown.
Enid Whittlesey
A photo of Enid Whittlesey in the Sunday May 14, 1916 Oakland Tribune
Date & Place: Not specified or unknown.
Man charged in 16-year-old murder - UPI ARCHIVES JAN. 29, 1997
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 28 -- A bloody handprint left at the scene of the brutal stabbing of an elderly woman 16 years ago has led to the filing of murder charges against a man just released from jail for domestic violence. Karl Franklin Stewart, 41, has been charged (Tuesday) with the death of 86-year-old Enid Whittlesey, a crime described by prosecutors as 'especially heinous and atrocious, cruel and manifesting exceptional depravity.'

Authorities say that in March 1981, Whittlesey was repeatedly stabbed and left to die by an intruder who had ransacked her Los Angeles home, where she had lived for 40 years. The case went unsolved until last November, when police detectives received information that led them to run a fingerprint comparison on a bloody partial handprint recovered from the crime scene. Encouraged by the results of their comparison, detective renewed their investigation and took the case to the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office, who charged Stewart with one count each of murder with special circumstances, second-degree robbery and first-degree residential burglary. Police say Stewart was arrested early Saturday morning on suspicion of Whittlesey's murder after authorities released him from custody for domestic violence charges. ---
Enid Whittlesey Youngman
The photo of Enid Whittlesey Youngman in the Modesto Evening News, June 25, 1921
Date & Place: Not specified or unknown.

Family Tree & Friends

Enid's immediate relatives including parents, siblings, partnerships and children in the Whittlesey family tree.

Enid's Family Tree

Enid Whittlesey Enid Whittlesey


Friends can be as close as family. Add Enid's family friends, and her friends from childhood through adulthood.

Add bio

1895 - 1981 World Events

Refresh this page to see various historical events that occurred during Enid's lifetime.

In 1895, in the year that Enid Whittlesey was born, on May 18th, Italy's first motor race was held. The race was 58 miles long - from Turin to Asti and back. Five cars started but only three completed the race. It was won by Simone Federman who drove a Daimler Omnibus - his average speed was 9.6 mph.

In 1908, she was merely 13 years old when unemployment in the U.S. was at 8.0% and the cost of a first-class stamp was 2 cents while the population in the United States was 88,710,000. The world population was almost 4.4 billion.

In 1937, she was 42 years old when on May 6th, the German zeppelin the Hindenburg caught fire and blew up. The Hindenburg was a passenger ship traveling to Frankfurt Germany. It tried to dock in New Jersey, one of the stops, and something went wrong - it blew up. Thirty-six people were killed out of the 97 on board - 13 passengers, 22 crewmen, and one ground worker. The reasons for the explosion are still disputed.

In 1940, by the time she was 45 years old, in July, Billboard published its first Music Popularity Chart. Top recordings of the year were Tommy Dorsey's "I'll Never Smile Again" (vocal Frank Sinatra) - 12 weeks at the top, Bing Crosby's "Only Forever" - 9 weeks at the top, and Artie Shaw's "Frenesi" - 12 weeks at the top.

In 1981, in the year of Enid Whittlesey's passing, on January 20th, Ronald Reagan became the 40th President of the United States. He ran against the incumbent, Jimmy Carter, and won 50.7% of the popular vote to Carter's 41.0%.

Back to Top