John George Heywood

1
Added
Updated Dec 02, 2019

Photo of publican John George Heywood and others, with a horse drawn vehicle, outside the Turf Club Hotel in Dandenong Road. The hotel included a Post Office.
The original weatherboard single-storey Turf Club Hotel was built by John George Heywood in 1871 in Dandenong Road, opposite the entrance to Caulfield Racecourse. John George Heywood, a prominent racing personality, was the hotel's publican until the turn of the century. In 1879 the railway line severed the direct route from the racecourse to the hotel. In 1923 the timber hotel was replaced by a two storey brick building. Dan Murphy's took over the hotel building in 1994 and was later demolished

People in this photo:
John George Heywood

E Mvern, Australia
ADVERTISEMENT BY ANCESTRY.COM

Comment on John George Heywood

Other Biographies by Stephen Triggs:
John George Heywood

E Mvern, Australia
View all Stephen's biographies...