William Henry Doble's Biography Add details
William Henry Doble 1862 - 1950 was a member of the Doble family. William was born on May 26, 1862. William died on October 29, 1950 in West Harwich, MA Barnstable County, MA at 88 years old.
Details about William Henry Doble Add details
William Henry DOBLE, parents Enoch Hall DOBLE and Rachel TIMBERLAKE was born May 26, 1862 in No, Quincy, Norfolk, Massachusetts. He died Oct. 29, 1950 in West Harwich, MA USA .
He was the founder and President of Pneumatic Scales. This company made machines that packaged things- corn flakes in the box, coke in the bottle. It is said that he invented the first packing machine but I am not 100% sure.
The husband of Henrietta Williams FRENCH and father of
1. KENDALL DYER DOBLE was born March 23, 1895-notes in Quincy, Ma.. He died Jan. 14, 1960 in London, England. ( he is my grandfather, smiling as I remember )
2. Rachel Mary DOBLE was born Dec. 13, 1884. She died June 2, 1967 in Carmel, California.
3. Charles French DOBLE was born Dec. 16, 1885, in Quincy, MA. He died Feb. 2, , 1975 ? in Harwich Port,Cape Cod, MA.
4. Ralph Nelson DOBLE was born Dec. 16, 1887 in Quincy, MA . He died Nov. 21, 1964 in Brewster, MA.
5. Clarice Burrell DOBLE was born November 19,1892 in Quincy, MA . She died Sept. 1984 in Rutland, VT.
6. Enoch Hall Doble was born Jan. 22, 1897. He died 13 JAN 1985 in Durham, North Carolina .
7. William Henry Doble JR. was born Oct. 4, 1902. He died June 7, 1965 in Hingham, Ma..
8. Henrietta Doble was born May 1, 1905. She died Feb. 18, 1967.
Barnstable County, MA
Discuss William Henry Doble
Share your memories below with the rest of William's family.
Obituary Add details
William H. Doble, Pneumatic Scale Co., Founder, Dies
William H. Doble, 88, founder and chairman of the board of the Pneumatic Scale corporation, ltd., of North Quincy, died at
his summer home at Old Mill Point, Harwich, yesterday.
Pioneer In Industry
Mr. Doble was a pioneer in packaging machinery industry. The company he founded employes more than 700 people in
Quincy and grosses between $8,000,000 and 10,000,000 per year.
Born in Quincy, he experimented with automatic food packaging when he was proprietor of a grocery store in South
Quincy. At that time most food was sold without wrappongs.
In 1895, he opened the Electric Scale company on Atlantic avenue, Boston, employing eight assistants. The firm, a
machine shop, later became the Pneumatic Scale company when Mr. Doble developed a compressed air device to pack
Among other machines he developed was one for sealing cartons and setting up boxes automatically, He also invented
weighing machines which measured either the combined weight of the package or the weight of the material alone.
He was president of the company from 1938 to 1948 and became chairman of the board three years ago.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. William H. Doble; five sons, Charles F. of Harwichport; Ralph N. of Hingham, Enoch H. of
Wellfleet, Willuam H. Doble Jr. of Hingham and Kendall, who succeeded his father as company president, of Cohasset; three
daughters, Mrs. Rama D. Stearns of Carmel, Cal., Mrs. Henrietta MacLeod and Mrs.Herbert Williams, both of Bayside, N.Y.,
22 grandchildren and 17 great- grandchildren
Funeral arrangements will be announced later.
- Barbara Joan Doble
- Mina Lizette Gleason Doble
- Henry Doble
- Norman J Doble
- Alan Doble
- Daniel Paul Doble
- Susan L Doble
- Constance Doble
- Shirley A Doble
- Clarence Doble
- Wilbur Doble
- Hilda G Doble
- Franklin Doble
- Nelson P Doble
- Aldee Doble
- Mae Doble
- Olivia Doble
- Louis Doble
- Helen Doble
- Doris W Doble