Find Bursill Biographies
Use the links below to find biographies of Bursills by their first name.
These are the oldest members of the Bursill family on AncientFaces.
These are the longest-lived members of the Bursill family on AncientFaces.
- Edward Bursill lived 88 years
- Arthur Henry Bursill lived 87 years
- John Thomas Bursill lived 84 years
- Ethel Mary Bursill lived 77 years
- Clara Bursill lived 82 years
- Thomas J Bursill lived 90 years
- William John Bursill lived 76 years
- John William Bursill lived 82 years
- Arthur Bursill lived 73 years
- Eda Bursill lived 67 years
Bursill Surname History
According to one family researcher, the spelling of the surname Bursill was originally Bursel and over time became Bursill, changing with the record keeping of priests for marriage, spelt depending on the county in England. When the Bursills arrived in Yorkshire, they settled on the island now known as Burshill. This was a key point of entry at the heart of the Danish-ruled kingdoms from 886 A.D. (Northumbria, Mercia and East Anglia). Danish Viking visits around the British Isles in general spanned at least three centuries between 750 and 1050, variously for the purposes of trade, plunder, extortion, political alliance, the provision of mercenary naval fleets to English kings, or other gain - including permanent settlement.
The Vikings built a Great hall in norse called a "sel" by their leader Bur. ("BUR" is "Odin Father" and "SEL" is "Great hall.") Thus the Name (Bursel) Bursill, was created for the names of the Vikings from that area, which was a gateway of trade and power.
This Bursill origins and history page contains the accumulated history of the Bursill family name made up of user-contributed content from other AncientFaces users. Bursill family history has a complex evolution of which the particulars are beginning to be understood by Bursill family researchers. The Bursill family name is an old lineage that, according to one Bursill family researcher, originated with the Vikings and spread throughout the word as the Vikings moved into new countries. According to this same researcher, the surname was originally "Bursel" (it can now be spelled Bursill, Bursall, Bursell, Burshill, and Beursells) and meant "Bur" (who was the father of the Norse god Odin) and "sel" (a "great house" in Old Norse.)
Leave a message to start a discussion about the Bursill family with other users.
Bursill Country of Origin, Nationality, & Ethnicity
The family name Bursill is a Norse name. It's also found in Scandinavia and a few centuries ago was compactly grouped around 3 tidal river estuaries, the proposition will have already occurred to many readers that these Bursells were the descendants of Viking settlers. Sel is a village in the municipality of Sel, Norway.
Bursill's (sel) have migrated to all corners of the Globe ,although we are all related from the first Vikings. At least some branches of the Bursill family are Norse, some are English.
Bursill Meaning & Etymology
The surname Bursill (old Norse, Bursel) is the name of an island in Yorkshire which Is called Burshill to this day. Burshill is also a small village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 7 miles (11 km) north east of the market town of Beverley. It forms part of the civil parish of Brandesburton.
The name Bursill is Old Norse: "Bur" was Odin's father and "sel" was a room, a great hall, a (large) house, or a castle. (Heorot, sincfāge sel — Heorot, richly adorned hall.)
Bursill Life Expectancy
According to our database of 40 people with the last name Bursill that have a birth and death date listed:
Bursill Family Tree
Famous People named Bursill
Bursill's In Australia.
- Australian Schoolboys Rugby union player 1993,1994 vs Wales(vice Capt)
- Nsw State wrestling Champion,3rd place Freestyle 2011
- Pro sprinter(NSW)
- Played Pro Rugby union (NPC ,European Cup ,NSW Development XV vs Japan,1st grade Shute Sheild Rugby ,Sydney Australia 1995-2003 , Ranfurly Shield 2005 & for the Auckland colts1996 .)
- Yongest player to play grade rugby union in sydney at 13 yrs of age .Running out for sydney uni vs Parramatta 6th grade .At Granville park .
- First foreign Rugby player to play pro in Russia.
- Eastern Beachs beach sprint champion 1992 . At coogee beach -Running for Tamarama Beach surf life saving.
- World Junior ski boot Throwing Champion
- 1958-59 Aust.CHampion T & F 220 yards 20.9 1 st place
- in 1956 Don Bursill (Scots College), sprints; was the Commonwealth junior record holderhttp://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7nVWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5uQDAAAAIBAJ&dq=don%20bursill&pg=4869%2C6399395
- Holds the G.P.S Record for the 100yards 9.98s(TSC) . This record will stand for all time and cannot be removed due to the fact that Australia converted to meters.
Tina Bursill. Actress
Les Bursill http://neil2decade.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/family-history-and-mysterythe-indigenous-connection/
292 Queen St Cambelltown NSW
The Bursill’s Shop was first opened in 1842 by William Bursill as a general store. A 2 storey sandstone building done in the Georgian Style, it was sold to William Fowler in 1850, who added space for a Post Office.
The building is now owned and used by the Benevolent Society of NSW.
December 28, 1820 (Age 17)
WILLIAM BUSSILL was indicted for stealing, on the 30th of June, one seal, value 18 s., and two rings, value 2 s., the goods of Edward Brannan, from his person.
EDWARD BRANNAN. I am a gentleman's servant, and live in Paddington-street. On the 30th of June my seal and rings were fast to my watch-ribbon, when I was near the bottom of Half-moon-street, near Curzon-street, between eight and nine o'clock at night in a crowd, as the Queen was expected to come down there, the prisoner came and cut my ribbon, and got my seal and rings. I felt a tug at my watch, I put my hand down, caught his hand with them in, and took them out of his hand.
(Property produced and sworn to.)
WILLIAM BUDDEN. I am a labourer. I was in the crowd with Brannan, the prisoner came before us and stopped. I suspected what he was after, and saw him cut the ribbon - the prosecutor seized him, and took the seals from him.
Prisoner's Defence. I picked them off the ground.
GUILTY. Aged 17.
Transported for Life. To Australia.Samuel William Bursill was transported for life from England at the age of 17 and after being granted his ticket of leave took up residence in Campbelltown with Bursill’s father, establishing a general store business.
Samuel William (Bill) Bursill: In the 1950s Bursill was instrumental in determining the site for a ski village at Thredbo, where his first Bursill Lodge was built out of a giant refrigerator cabinet bought at an Army disposal store. He also had another tourism lodge Rainbow Beach in Queensland, where his lodge, The Mikado, was established when nearby Noosa Heads was just a sleepy hamlet.Also started the Quicksilver reef Service.
- International Competition1990 World Junior 4 x 400 metres 3Ht only Ht2 1st 3:06.81; Final 3rd 3:05.51
- National Competition1988-89 Aust. Junior T & F 400 metres4 (3rd Aust.)48.39
- Still Holds the G.P.S record for the age group of the under 15 400m T&F (SGS) 50.1s
Stephaine Bursill Actress
- Austarlian University Rugby team...
- The Bursills are used as a case study at Sydney university for Masters of Economics .
- .FEDERAL COURT OF AUSTRALIA
- Re:BURSILL Sports Gear Vs MARK LYONS PTY LIMITED
No. NSW G588 of 1987
Trade Practices S43
Most Common Bursill First Names
According to our database of 303 people with the last name Bursill that have a first name listed, these are the most common first names:
- Edward 8.9%
- John 5.9%
- Robinson 5.6%
- Frederick 4.3%
- Prentice 4.0%
- William 4.0%
- Walter 3.6%
- Bursill 3.6%
- Mary 3.0%
- Arthur 2.3%
- Leslie 2.3%
- Mitchell 2.0%
- Hooper 1.7%
- Ronald 1.7%
- Hawkes 1.7%
- Edna 1.7%
- Florence 1.3%
- Duffin 1.3%
- Annie 1.0%
- Harold 1.0%
- Ellen 1.0%
- Eda 1.0%
- Harry 1.0%
- Daisy 1.0%
- Agnes 1.0%
- Ruby 1.0%
- Cavell 0.7%
- Acason 0.7%
- Donald 0.7%
- Hector 0.7%
- Eva 0.7%
- Fran 0.7%
- Frances 0.7%
- Finch 0.7%
- Frank 0.7%
- Ethel 0.7%
- Melba 0.7%
- Jean 0.7%
- Lottie 0.7%
- Elizabeth 0.7%
- Georgiana 0.7%
- Isabel 0.7%
- Clarence 0.7%
- Martha 0.7%
- Mavis 0.7%
- Wangemann 0.7%
- Rita 0.7%
- Helena 0.3%
- A 0.3%
- Ada 0.3%
Bursill Pronunciation & Spelling Variations
Bursill may be spelled: