Kunz Family History & Genealogy
Biographies & Family Trees
Kunz Last Name History & Origin
Nationality & Ethnicity
These are the earliest records we have of the Kunz family.
Kunz Death Records & Life Expectancy
According to our database of 4,294 people with the last name Kunz that have a birth and death date listed:
These are the longest-lived members of the Kunz family on AncientFaces.
(Compiled by Kate Buhler)
In 1875, John Kunz II moved from Ovid to the townsite of Bern, having been called here by Brigham Young. He named the new settlement after his native town in Switzerland. In 1876 he hired Ephriam Jones to come to Bern to teach his children to read and write the American language. That was the beginning of the first school teaching in Bern. All of the instruction, as well as church services, was held in private homes. In the fall of 1884, the first public school was organized with Alvin Rich as the first teacher. The school and all church services were held in a one room log house, located on what is now the Anthon Kunz place. John Kunz II, (my grandfather) was sustained as the first presiding elder of the Bern branch. The first two missionaries called from the Bern branch was in 1884. They were John Kunz III and David Kunz (my father),and were called to Switzerland. John Kunz II held the position of presiding elder until his death on February 16, 1890. That same year, John Kunz III was sustained as bishop, with Christian Kunz and John Bischoff as counselors, and John M. Kunz clerk. The Bern ward was then organized and John Kunz II held his position as bishop for 27 years. About the turn of the century, my father, David Kunz, was given the assignment to do the carpenter work on a new church building. It was located in lower Bern, on the property owned now by Elmer Buhler. The building was a large, one room, frame structure, high ceiling, with five long windows on each side, with a large, round, would burning stove in the center of the building. It was truly an improvement over the little log church. About the year 1908, the townsite of Bern was laid out by Joseph R. Shepherd, then president of the Bear Lake Stake. Upon his recommendation, the church house was moved to the new townsite, the present location of the new building. When the Montpelier Stake was organized in 1917, the Bern ward became part of the newly created Montpelier Stake. On January 21, 1917, Robert Schmid was sustained as bishop of the Bern ward, with Robert Kunz and J.P. Alleman as counselors, and Ruel V. Kunz as clerk. They served for thirteen years. On July 13, 1930, Parley Kunz was sustained as bishop, with David Buhler and John S. Kunz as counselors, and Robert H. Kunz, as clerk. They served nine years and on December 17, 1939, Orlando Kunz was sustained as bishop, Able Kunz and Edwin Alleman, counselors, with Walter Buhler as clerk. It was at this time that the people of Bern ward decided that it was time to build a new ward house, so on July 5, 1940, work commenced according to the Church plan of using donated labor whereer possible. From this date on the stupendous task of tearing down the old building, salvaging the material, and building an adequate place in which to worship continued. Work progressed very rapidly and the same winter, December 17, 1940, the first services were held in the new building. It was almost entirely completed and paid for at this time. The cost was around $8,500. The building is modernistic in design, and has an auditorium with a seating capacity of around 300, that can be enlarged by converting the adjoining Relief Society room, connected by large folding doors, into the main room. The bishop's office is also on the main floor. The building is equipped with modern plumbing facilities, a hot air heating system, and a modern kitchen, which is adjacent to the Relief Society room. The new structure has been used for all church services and recreational activities since its completion. On June 3, 1951 Bishop Orlando Kunz was released, and the same day, DelMar Kunz was sustained as bishop, with George Kunz and Rudolph Bienz as counselors, and Heber Kunz, clerk. With the united help of all the ward membership, they have cleaned, repaired and re-decorated the building and tonight September 16, 1951, it stands completed, awaiting the dedication as a "House of the Lord". Its beautifully landscaped grounds, its simple harmonizing furnishings, bring a feeling of peace to the hearts of those who worship within its walls. May the spirit of our Father in Heaven always richly bless this holy edifice, and those who made its construction possible.
From Dedication Services, Sunday, September 16, 1951, 7:30 p.m. Bern Ward, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Bern Idaho. History Courtesy of Kate Buhler, 1951
Sophie Olive Kunz Bateman
Parents William J. Kunz and Anna Schmid
May 6, 1937, Bern, Bear Lake Co.,Idaho
"This is a most beautiful occaision. We have met tonight to pay tribut and to do honor to two of God's children who have found joy in their labors and happiness in their endeavors. They have kept with perfect sweetness the first great commandment given to our first parnets, to multiply and replenish the earth. Thus they have been instruments in the hand of God in giving to us, their chidren, strong and healthy bodies in which our spirits can dwell. This is one of the greatest heritages in mortality and will be our Eternal heritage if we but keep our bodies clean and pure. In doing this we pay to our parents a high tribute. In home life all human characteristics meet and all human eccentricities should find a proper balance; youth and age, hope and fear, courage and caution, the spirit of aggression and the spirit of conservatism all find coordination in home life. Home is the greatest kingdom in the world. No parent is poor if they have worthy children and every child is rich if they come from noble parentage. We are greatful indeed that God has prolonged the lives of our dear Mother and Father, whose fiftieth wedding anniversary we celebrate today. We look upon their beautiful lives with appreciation and are impressed by their noble accomplishments, during the many long years in the valley of mortal struggles. Fifty years have elapsed since our dear father and mother sailed side by side on life's waters with its pitfalls and dangers, reaching today the golden island in the stream of life. We are greatful for their efforts in our behalf and are proud and happy that they are both together and with us today. They have been true parents and have brought us great joy. The praryer in our harts is, "That the Lord may continue to bless you dear Father and Mother, with health and strength taht you may continue to be with us for many years to come. May the abundant blessings of life be yours we pray in the name of Jesus Christ our Redeemer, Amen."
Couple Spend Wedded Years in Bern, Where Relatives Hold Party
Bern, Idaho-Mr. and Mrs. William J. Kunz, residents of Bern during their entire married live, celebrated their golden wedding anniversary here Wednesday. More than 100 relatives, including 10 children, 20 grandchildren and one great-grand-child, gathered at a reception in the family home, followed by a program in the Bern L.D.S. chapel. They were married in the Logan L.D.S. temple May 5, 1887. Mr. Kunz was born March 14, 1865, in Bern, Switzerland, a son of the Bishop John and Magdelina Straubhaar Kunz, early pioneers of Bear Lake valley. Active in Church
Active in church duties all his life, he was superintndent of the Ward Y.M.M.I.A. many years and assistant Sunday school superintndent 14 years. He has been a rancher and cheese manufacturer. He has lived in Bern since 1878, emigrating to Ovid in 1873. Mrs. Kunz, formerly Annie Schmid, was born in Zurich, Switzerland on may 7, 1867, a daughter of Karl A. and Anna Landert Schmid. She emigrated to America in 1883, living for a time in Paris, Idaho before moving to Bern. She has been a member of the ward Relief society presidency many years. The couple's 10 living sons and daughters are B.W. Kunz, Salt Lake City; Mrs. A.W. Bateman, Midvale, Utah; Mrs. H.D. Thomas, Mrs. Louis Kunz, Mrs. Louis Eschler, Willard R. and Joseph J. Kunz, Montpelier; Mrs. Alfred Jensen, Ovid, and Mrs. Myrtle Steckler and Leslie Kunz, Bern; also 30 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. " Courtesy of the Salt Lake Tribune. May 12, 1937
15 May 1994
Belview Ward, Salt Lake City, Utah
John Kunz III (1844-1918)
One Hundred and Fifty Years of Influence
John Kunz III was born 7 February 1844 in Zwischenflueh, Bern, Switzerland. In November 1864 when he was twenty years of age, he married Magdalena Straubhaar. John and his family, including his widowed mother, left Switzerland (July 1873) for their new home in America. Prior to leaving, he baptized his wife's sister, Sophie. Magdalena died in 1874. John, at age 30, married Magdalena's sister, Sophie. She did not have children, but helped raise the five children born to Magdalena. In that same year he married Magdalena Linder; they became the parents of 4 children. at 39 years of age he married Louise Weibel. At age 44 John married Margaret Lauener and they became parents of 10 children. Later he married Elizabeth Boss and they became the parents of 6 children, the last of whom died with her in childbirth. Of the 25 children born to Grandpa, nine of them died in infancy or prior to adulthood. John helped found the town of Bern, Idaho. he and his wives have a posterity numbering over 3,300 and living all over the world. The family has provided the Church with over five-hundred fifty missions. In this year of his 150th Birthday Anniversary, we may truly celebrate his goodness. The lives of John Kunz, his wives and rest of the Swiss family have certainly blessed not only their families, but the community and the Church.
As Paul Nielson has so beautifully reminded us: "In reflecting upon this Swiss background, the sacrifices made by these fore-bearers over a century ago prove to be the very foundation on which their posterity may gain in faith, devotion, education and properity. In spite of much persecution from relatives and friends, these ancester listended to the message of the restored gospel and then embraced it through baptism. The provided a part of the American heritage of their future posterity by following the spirit of gathering and forsaking their beautiful native homeland in the Alps and going to a foreign country to start a new life among strangers. Because of their striving to keep the commandments of God and making the gospel a part of their daily lives, their descendants continue to partake of virtually innumerable blessings." (Phillip R. Kunz, The Kunz Family Johannes Kunz and Rosina Katharina Klossner Kunz: Their Ancestors and Descendants, pp 34-35)
Thanks to many who have been so supportive, with special thanks to June (Bateman) and LeGrand Black, and Dianne (Steckler) Rasi-Koskinen.
Conducting.........Phillip R. Kunz
"I Can See Her Face"
Accompanied by Cindy Nielson
Speaker............Paul Anthon Nielson"
Courtesy of Phillip R. Kunz
June Bateman Black
Dianne Steckler Rasi-Koskinen
Paul Anthon Nielson