Montignani Surname History
The evolution of Montignani begins with it's early ancestors. Even in the early generations of a name there have been variations in that single name simply because surnames were infrequently written down at that stage in history. A man might simply be known by his first name in a small community. Only when he visited another town would he be called, "Peter de Montagnana" or "Peter from the city of Montagnana". Montignani would seemingly have been evolved in this way since there were several ancient cities named for their mountainous surroundings. Similar evolution of surnames happened with professions such as Peter Tailor (ie. Peter, the Tailor).
It was not unusual for a surname to change as it entered a new country or language. As Montignani families emigrated between countries and languages, the Montignani name may have changed with them. Montignani families have moved across various regions all throughout history. There are traces of families with similar surnames on most every continent. The specific "Montignani" family we will concentrate on in this web site began in Italy and about mid 1700s began to migrate to Scotland by way of Portugal. Specifically a man born Franceso Montignani circa 1785 left Italy with a theater company, landed in Portugal a job with the Opera company and later shows up in 1811 at the Adelphi Theater in London. A Sarah or Jane Malpas, who also appears on on the playbill at the theater becomes his wife and begins a family of Montignani members who are from Scotland around the area south of Edinburg known as Midlothian. From this Scotish family come many members who migrated to USA, Canada, South America, Austrailia, New Zealand, and other points.
This origins and history of the Montignani surname contains an accumulated history of user-contributed content from other users interested in the Montignani family.
The Montignani family is an old family line that probably originated in the city of Montagnana in Italy. There is much to learn about the Montignani family below in "Montignani History", "Montignani country of origin", "Meaning of the last name Montignani", and "Famous people named Montignani" below. If you are a Montignani family member who has more information on the family, please share your knowledge here.
The family history of the Montignani last name is maintained by the AncientFaces community. Join the community by adding to to our knowldge of the Montignani:
- Montignani spelling & pronunciation
Latest photos on AncientFaces
No one from the Montignani community has shared photos. Here are new photos on AncientFaces:
Montignani Country of Origin, Nationality, & Ethnicity
Montignani Meaning & Etymology
Montignani Pronunciation & Spelling Variations
No one has added information on Montignani spellings or pronunciations. Add to this section
No content has been submitted about alternate spellings of Montignani. The following is speculative information about Montignani. You can submit your information by clicking Edit.
In times when literacy was uncommon, names such as Montignani were transliterated based on how they were heard by a scribe when people's names were written in court, church, and government records. This could have given rise misspellings of Montignani. Researching misspellings and alternate spellings of the Montignani name are important to understanding the history of the name. Surnames like Montignani change in spelling and pronunciation as they travel across communities, family branches, and languages over the years.
Last names similar to MontignaniMontignard, Montignat, Montignault, Montignaut, Montignay, Montigne, Montigneaux, Montignen, Montigneul, Montigney, Montigni, Montigniaco, Montignie, Montignier, Montignies, Montignon, Montignori, Montignot, Montignuy, Montigny
Montignani Family Tree
Here are a few of the Montignani biographies shared by AncientFaces users. Click here to see more Montignanis
- Wm Montignani 1914 - 1987
- Anna Montignani 1882 - 1975
- Martha Montignani 1920 - 2005
- Clayton A Montignani 1897 - 1900
- Frank Montignani 1873 - 1935
- Jessie Montignani 1871 - 1946
- William Montignani 1871 - 1945
- William A Montignani 1851 - 1934
- William A Montignani
- Frances J Montignani
Famous People named Montignani
Famous members of the Montignani family:
- There are a few Montignani family members who have been moderately famous in their day. It is hoped more family members will fill in the blanks on this area. Besides the famous Peter de Montagnana from the early days of Padua, there is a musician and dancer, Francesco Montignani who performed in London at the Adelphi theater in circa 1811. In our branch, a John Oliver Montignani carried on the family musical legacy as a piano manufacturer and sales outlet in Scotland and later America. See some info at the web site http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/535704658
- There was a music reviewer in Paris in circa 1850 named Montignani who was rather famous for his day. Also, indications of a General Montignani in the 1700s or so exist.