Mower Family History & Genealogy

17 photos, 1,475 biographies, and last name history of the Mower family, shared by AncientFaces Members.

Latest Mower Photos

These photos contain people with the Mower last name.

View all Mower photos Add your Mower photos

Mower Last Name History & Origin


Name Origin

Nationality & Ethnicity

Early Mowers

These are the earliest records we have of the Mower family.

Mower Biographies & Family Trees

Find birth, death records, and obituaries of Mowers on AncientFaces:

Most Common First Names

  • John 3.7%
  • William 3.2%
  • George 2.0%
  • Robert 2.0%
  • Charles 1.8%
  • Mary 1.7%
  • James 1.2%
  • Frank 1.1%
  • Living 1.0%
  • Richard 1.0%
  • Thomas 0.9%
  • Kenneth 0.9%
  • David 0.8%
  • Henry 0.8%
  • Elizabeth 0.8%
  • Helen 0.8%
  • Joseph 0.7%
  • Edward 0.7%
  • Florence 0.6%
  • Jacob 0.6%

Sample of 1,475 Mowers bios

Mower Death Records & Life Expectancy

Other Mower Records



Write a comment
Paul Brown The Life and Testimony of Henry Mower, Jr.

Henry Mower Jr., was born 22 November 1824 in Bedford, Pennsylvania, son of Henry Mower Sr., and Mary Amick. He was the fourth child of their ten children.

When Henry was twelve years old, in September, 1836, his parents joined the Church. We know he was also baptized at this time, but no record exists. About 1838, his family moved to Springfield, Illinois. This was before the Saints were driven from Missouri.

A story handed down in the family is that while living in this area, Henry Jr., drove a carriage for Abraham Lincoln. This was while Abraham Lincoln was a member of the state legislature.

In about 1843, Henry Sr., moved his family to Nauvoo. Mob violence was severe at that time. Also living in Nauvoo was a lovely young Mormon girl by the name of Susan Strong. She, with her parents, Jacob and Sarah Hill Strong, had joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints along with other family members in Strongtown, Indiana County, Pennsylvania, and migrated west to be with the Mormon in Nauvoo. After a short courtship, Henry Jr. and Susan were married on 11 December, 1845, in Nauvoo. When the temple was completed, they were endowed on 3 February, 1846.

Soon after this the Mormons were driven out of Nauvoo into the plains of Iowa. They started their journey with no outfit, and got as far as Council Bluffs, known as Kanesville at that time. This was one of the places the Saints gathered until they could journey on to the Rocky Mountains in the West. They had to remain there for two years. Henry Jr. was especially tender with Susan at this time, as she was expecting their first child. This child died the day after he was born. Henry Jr’s mother, Mary Amick Mower, also died while in Kanesville in 1846. Also while in Kanesville, they had a second child, another son.

In 1849, the Mower family joined the Silas Richards Company and made the long trek to the Salt Lake Valley. They started with two yoke of cattle and a cow. They arrived at their destination in October or November of 1849.

The fort in Pioneer Square was a haven of rest for the Mower family that first winter there. As soon as possible, Henry provided Susan and their small son with a home outside the fort. He had employment as a hotel manager and also sold provisions, etc. to the travelers going west to California. Some say that his store was located in Union, Salt Lake, Utah.

They were grateful when a daughter, Sarah Elizabeth, was added to their family on 10 October, 1851. This is our ancestor.

Henry thought to better his living conditions by moving his family closer to his father
who lived now in Springville, Utah. Here he ran the first threshing machine in that area. To make his records in the Church more accurate, he was rebaptized on 3 May 1855.

He moved his family back to Union Fort later. This may have been due to the
ill health of Susan, and a desire for her to be cared for by those who loved her, as she died
on 17 July 1856. Susan was sorrowfully and lovingly buried in Salt Lake City cemetery.

Due to his daughter, Sarah’s tender age, and no mother, Henry allowed his parents to take
five year old Sarah Elizabeth into their home, where she was raised to maturity.

In April, 1857, Henry married Alice Chappel Burton, in the Endowment House
and they had three children. He later took a third wife, who was a widow. And he
eventually had several wives.

In 1862, he moved part of his family to Fairview, Sanpete County, which was a new
locality just being settled for farming and stock raising. From the start, the numerous
Indians residing in the area resented the intrusion of the settlers, and reacted by taking
everything they could lay their hands on around the homes as well as stealing livestock on
the ranges. Then a scuffle between an Indian and a white man occurred in Manti, in
1864, and it started the Black Hawk War, which was a very serious confrontation. Henry
took an active part in the war, being ready to go at a minute’s notice in defense of the
settlers and their livestock. He could ill afford to lose a nice team of horses to the
marauders. Finally, peace was restored in the area between the Saints and Indians.

In those early days of Fairview, there wasn’t much that could be done to earn money.
Most of the financial needs of the people were met by trading work or produce for one’s
needs. However, carrying the government mail to the towns up and down the valley was
a job that did pay cash. Henry was fortunate to get this mail contract and with the aid of
his sons, served the people faithfully all the rest of his active years in this position. He
also worked a small farm. He was lovingly called “Uncle Henry” by all his acquaintances
in Sanpete Valley.

By this time, the U.S. Government was trying to stop the practice of polygamy in Utah.
Henry had six wives. Like many others, rather than abandon them, he served a short time
in the Utah State penitentiary for having more than one wife.

He died at the age of seventy-seven, 20 February, 1902 in Fairview.

Those descendants who remember him say, he was considered one of the faithful servants
of His church, and was good to his family. He was honored and respected by his
numerous posterity, which by 1979 was estimated as over 2,000.
Mar 24, 2007 · Reply
Paul Brown Life and Testimony of Susan Strong Mower

Susan Strong was born 3 May 1825 in Strongtown, Pennsylvania, the first child of Jacob Strong and Sarah Hill. She had two sisters and four brothers.

Susan was a bright, happy child, quick to take responsibility in the home. She received the same amount of education offered other children during this period of time.

The Strong’s were good, hardworking, honest people. Religion played a great part in their lives. They were members of the Lutheran Church in Strongtown. The truthfulness of their beliefs were challenged, however, when they heard Erastus Snow, then a serious young missionary of 18 years of age, explain the restored gospel to them with such powerful conviction that they were converted to this new religion. Elder Snow baptized the Strong family on 20 October 1836. From that time on, their testimonies never wavered, even though they endured untold hardships and persecutions.

Susan was eleven years of age at the time, and fully realized the change in their lives. On 24 September, 1839, Susan with her parents, brothers, and sisters, left their home and native state, bidding goodbye to their many relatives and friends. They journeyed westward to join the Saints in the state of Illinois. They arrived there on 18 March, 1840. Susan was a young lady of fifteen when they moved.

For a very short time, after gathering at Nauvoo, the Saints enjoyed a period of peace. In the Relief Society handbook published in 1931, both Sarah Strong and her daughter, Susan, are listed as members of the Nauvoo Relief Society, which was organized 17 March, 1842.

When of marriageable age, Susan was courted by a fine young man by the name of Henry Mower Jr. He and his family were also converts to the Church. This young couple were married 11 December 1845 when she was 20 years of age and he was 21. The temple which was started in 1841, had been rushed to completion so the sacred ordinances for which it was built could be accomplished. On 3 February 1846, Henry and Susan were able to receive their individual endowments in the Nauvoo Temple.

Soon after this, the great move started from their beautiful city of Nauvoo. The Saints took what little they could with them and crossed the ice clogged Mississippi River into Iowa where the homeless refugees gathered in temporary camps. One such camp was Kanesville in Pottawatomie County (now known as Council Bluffs. It was here that Susan and Henry spent the next two years. On 24 September, 1846, Susan gave birth to her first child, William Henry. The conditions under which this baby was born was deplorable and the little thing died the next day. By the time the second son, John Albert was born, things were some better, and he lived.

The Saints were now preparing outfits and foodstuff to make the long trek across the plains to the Valley of the mountains. Records show that Henry and Susan with their one year old son, John Albert, accompanied by her parents and other family members, were assigned to travel in Silas Richard’s Company. This was a very large group which left Kanesville on 10 July 1849, arriving in the Salt Lake Valley on 12 October, 1849. En route they endured all the hardships of the trek: sore feet, scanty rations, hot sunshine, wind, rain, and severe snow storms. Cattle also stampeded which caused considerable damage. They were always on the alert for the roving Indians.

Upon arriving in the valley, they drove immediately to Pioneer Square which was the stopping place for the Saints at that time. The houses of the fort furnished a first home for many new arrivals. This was where Henry and Susan spent the first winter. As soon as they were able, they moved out into the city. Her family lived in Tenth Ward and perhaps this is the area where they also settled. Henry managed a hotel for awhile and sold provisions to the gold seekers who passed through the valley. It has been stated by close descendants that Henry lived in Union Fort and operated a store there.

Even though Susan’s health was not good, she was overjoyed when she presented her husband with a baby daughter on 10 October, 1851. They called this precious gift, Sarah Elizabeth. This is our ancestor.

In 1854, the family moved to Springville where Henry’s father and family were living. However, they didn’t stay there too long before they went back to Salt Lake County making their home again in Union Fort.

Susan’s health grew steadily worse and 17 July 1856, she passed away at the home of her long time friend, Keziah Frances Brady Richards, wife of Silas Richards. Susan was only 41 years of age, and her remains were taken to the Salt Lake City Cemetery for interment.

Sarah Elizabeth, our ancestor, who was only five years old, was taken into the home of her maternal grandparents, where she lived until she grew up and married. Sarah became the wife of Joseph Bonaparte Alvord on 15 November, 1880.

Even though Susan didn’t live to have a large family, she did have a nice posterity. A descendant collected information on all the descendants of Susan Strong Mower and she had family group sheets which totaled over 1700 descendants by 1980.

This same descendants writes, “We are all proud to honor the name of our faithful pioneer ancestor and are grateful for all she went through to make the way for us into this land of plenty.”

All of us should be grateful for her and her family’s courage to accept the gospel, and to endure all the sorrows and trials which came with living its principles. Their lives should remain as powerful testimonies to us all.
Mar 24, 2007 · Reply
Paul Brown Life and Testimony of Henry Mower, Sr.

Henry Mower Sr. was born December 18, 1798, at Frederick, Maryland. He was a son of Michael and Catherine Heisinger (or Geisinger) Mower.

When Henry was about two years old, his father moved to Clearfield, Pennsylvania, where his childhood and youth was spent. He received the best schooling possible at that time, which of course was quite limited, as he had to assist his father in making a living. Very early in life he met a beautiful young lady, named Mary Amick, who he married when he was only seventeen. Ten children were born to them, including Henry Jr., who is our ancestor.

Henry’s father, Michael, was a wagon maker. Henry enjoyed helping him, and later he worked in a grist mill. From early childhood he was religiously inclined and joined the Methodist Church. He studied for the ministry and became a Methodist Preacher, but it seemed to him that there was something lacking with this religion. He was seeking something he didn’t have. He then came in contact with the Campbellites. He believed they were more nearly right, so he resigned his position as a Methodist Preacher, joined the Campbellites, and became a Campbellite preacher, which had been organized by Sydney Rigdon, Alexander Campbell, and Walter Scott.

While Henry was laboring as a Campbellite preacher, a Mormon Elder by the name of William Boweley (or Bowerly) came to see him and asked for permission to preach in his church. Henry told him he might use his pulpit and his congregation. [What an amazing response!] A large crowd greeted the elder with much curiosity. They listened intently to the sermon and wondered what Henry would say at the close. Imagine their surprise when their pastor arose and bore his testimony to the truthfulness of what they had heard!

Henry invited the elders to his home and from them he and his family learned more of the beauties of this glorious new gospel --- just restored. An undying testimony of the truthfulness of it was given to him and he applied for baptism. He resigned his position as a Campbellite preacher, and the day he was baptized, many of his former congregation walked twenty-one miles to see his immersion. They surely felt bad to think that their minister had been so misled.

His family also joined the Church, and they were very desirous of being nearer the main body of the Church. So with all his family, except one daughter, they moved to within four miles of Springfield, Illinois. His home was always the home of the elders and all he could do was cheerfully done to advance the work of the Lord.

From Springfield he soon moved to Iowa, just opposite Nauvoo. While living there he was called on a mission to the Eastern States. He and his companion became wonderful friends, and had greet success. Henry had the privilege of baptizing many into the Church. When he returned from his mission, he moved his family to Council Bluffs, Iowa. (Then known as Kanesville.) His beloved wife, Mary, had endured so many hardships of the pioneer life, it seemed she could stand no more. She became very ill. All that loving hands could do was done for her, but she rapidly grew worse and passed away at the age of forty-eight, leaving her husband her ten children to mourn her loss.

Henry missed his companion very much. She had been a great source of inspiration and comfort to him in all the trying scenes they had passed through. They had been mobbed and persecuted so much for the gospel’s sake that nearly all their earthly possessions were gone. But our Heavenly Father did not forsake him. He sent another beautiful young lady into his life, Lucretia Hupper from Port Clyde, Knox County, Maine. She had accepted the gospel against the wishes of her parents, and she had left her home, a lonely girl, to cast her lot with the Saints. She was longing for loved ones who would be dear to her. These two met and it was love at first sight. They needed each other, but there were many things to be considered by Lucretia. Henry was much older than she was, having a daughter of her own age, and all his huge family of children she would have to mother, and his poor financial condition. She had been working and was quite well fixed.

What should she do? Her heart told her. She loved Henry and they were married February 5, 1847. She thus became the stepmother of a lovely group of stepchildren. They came into her life when she need them most and she loved them very dearly as her own. At the time of her marriage her husband’s earthly possessions consisted of a small log room, a bedstead, a chest, three three legged stools, a rude table, and some bedding. Lucretia had plenty of clothing and cut much of it up to make clothing for the children.

At Kanesville, Iowa, her first child was born -- a little girl who died within the year.
Later a baby boy was born to them and they named him Orson Hyde Mower. Their home was happy with the consolation after their loss. They later had other children in Utah

Henry was a trusted friend of the prophet Joseph Smith, and oh, how Henry loved him!
Henry was away from home on another mission at the time of the martyrdom. And although they knew nothing of the terrible tragedy at the time, a terrible feeling of gloom came over them which they could not cast off, and when the word came to them of the sad news, they were almost heartbroken to lose both their prophet and their patriarch.

Henry suffered all the hardships of the early Saints, but he was never heard to complain,
and he was happy to be numbered with the Saints of God. When the great march to the West began, he made preparations for the journey, leaving in June, 1851. They came in Abraham Day’s Company. On the way, one of his horses died, and he had to use his cows to pull the wagon.

He first settled with his family in Salt Lake City, but soon moved to Ogden. He lived there until the time of the move south in 1858, when Johnston’s Army came.

At that time, the Saints, thinking they had finally found peace, were asked once again to give up all and move south, destroying what they had built, so their enemies could not gain from it. Henry obeyed the counsel of Brigham Young, “I have told you that if there is any man or woman that is not willing to destroy anything and everything of their property that would be of use to the enemy if left, I wanted them to go out of the territory and I say so today. For, when the time comes to burn and lay waste our improvements, if any man undertake to shield his, he will be sheared down, for judgment will be laid to the line and righteousness to the plummet. Now the faint-hearted can go in peace; but should that time come, they must not interfere. Before I will suffer what I have in times gone by, there shall not be one building, nor one foot of lumber, nor a stick, nor a tree, nor a particle of grass and hay that will burn, left in the reach of our enemies. I am sworn, if driven to the extremity, to utterly lay waste to this land, in the name of Israel’s God, and our enemies shall find it as barren as when we came here.” (Brigham Young, 1858.)

According to the Deseret News, May 10, 1858, “The people from the north [of the Utah settlement] are all moving south. The roads are lined from Box Elder to Provo with horse, mule, or ox teams and cattle, and sheep.”

Henry moved his family to Springville, where they made their permanent home. In time, he took a plural wife. After their move to Springville Henry became one of the town’s prominent men, serving in the city council. Henry was scrupulously honest, and at his death, April 4, 1878, no one was ever found who said he owed them a penny. He believed in living within his means and was economical, industrious, and generous, and would gladly share his last morsel with anyone in need. He was an able teacher, both by example and precept, of that Gospel that was dearer to him than all else.

Henry had a long, useful, prosperous, and happy life, and it was said of him at his funeral, “He had thousands of friends and no enemies.”

His wife Lucretia, wrote this poem after his death.

“He’s gone, I do not mourn him.
Life’s fleeting dream is o’er.
He’s gone to meet his loved ones
Upon the other shore.
His pilgrimage is ended,
His earthly sorrows past.
By angels hands attended,
He has gained his home at last.”
Mar 24, 2007 · Reply