Latest Wyckoff photos
These photos were uploaded by members of the Wyckoff community on AncientFaces.
Wyckoff Surname History
In America, the surname has been spelled differently over successive generations. Over 50 spellings have been listed. Descendants of Pieter Wyckoff were verified, arranged, and listed in the 1950 publication, Wyckoff Family in America. The most recent edition can be ordered as a CD from the website: www.wyckoffassociation.org. Events at the Wyckoff Farm House Museum in Brooklyn are announced at the same website.
Unfortunately, a false meaning and origin of the name were promulgated by the Wyckoff Association of America over decades, but the truth is finally ascending.
The name Wyckoff is often assumed to be Dutch in origin because it was the surname adopted when Pieter Claessen was living among Dutch settlers in New Amsterdam, when it was mandated by the English administrators to take a last name. The name actually denotes the location of his home south of Norden in Ost Friesland from where the young Pieter Claessen emigrated to New Amsterdam. The name has different spellings and connotations in Dutch and Frisian. The Frisian meaning of wik, a settlement on a bay or waterway is most appropriate for his home, since Wykhof was on a waterway leading from the bay of the Ems River inland to Marianhafe in Ost Frisland, not far from the North Sea coast . Dutch wijk signifies a district within a large settlement, and may be borrowed from the Latin vicus. An alternative interpretation in Ostfrisian meaning a yard around a sacred space or sanctuary is discussed.
Wyckoff Country of Origin, Nationality, & Ethnicity
Wyckoff Meaning & Etymology
Wyckoff Pronunciation & Spelling Variations
Last names similar to WyckoffWyckofff Wyckofffbailey Wyckoff Jr Wyckoffsteven Wyckoffstevens Wyckoffwayne Wyckoff Wikoff Wyckofr Wyckoft Wyckoif Wyckoof Wyckooo Wyckoop Wyckopp Wyckosbury Wyckoskas Wyckowski Wycks Wycksbury Wyckstandt
Wyckoff Family Tree
Here are a few of the Wyckoff genealogies shared by AncientFaces users. Click here to see more Wyckoffs
- ? Wyckoff,
- Clara Wyckoff 1875 - 1969
- Verna Wyckoff 1904 - 1987
- Florence Wyckoff 1890 - 1981
- Belva Wyckoff 1897 - 1985
- Lillian Wyckoff 1903 - 1972
- Jerry Wyckoff 1933 - 1980
- Cecelia Wyckoff 1901 - 1984
- Martha E Wyckoff 1918 - 2010
- Earl D Wyckoff 1914 - 2001
Famous People named Wyckoff
- Ralph W. G. Wyckoff (1897-1994) was a pioneer of X-ray crystallography, who wrote his Ph.D. dissertation at Cornell University in 1919 under the supervision of Shoji Nishikawa. He produced tables with positional coordinates, the forerunner of the 1935 International Tables for X-ray Crystallography. Both general and special positions are called Wyckoff positions in his honor.
- Clinton R. Wyckoff (1874-1947) was an All American football quarterback at Cornell University in 1895, but the most famous among Wykoff athletes was Frank C. Wykoff (1909-1980), the only man who ever won 3 gold medals in 400 meter relays in 3 consecutive Olympics. He raced in world-record efforts in Amsterdam (1928), Los Angeles (1932), and Berlin (1936). At age 18, while in Glendale High School, California, he beat the great Charlie Paddock who had been billed the "fastest human" since 1921. In 1930, Wykoff ran the first official 9.4 secs for 100 yards in an era when no starting blocks were used; he held the world record until 1947. Before graduating at Southern Cal in 1932, he won three IC4A, two NCAA, and two AAU dash titles.