Geddes Family History & Genealogy
Biographies & Family Trees
Find records of Geddeses by their first name:
- Abbie Geddes to Alwena Geddes
- Alyce Geddes to Arthur Geddes
- Athina Geddes to Beverly Geddes
- Black Geddes to Catherine Geddes
- Cecil Geddes to Colleen Geddes
- Collins Geddes to Deborah Geddes
- Debra Geddes to Edith Geddes
- Edna Geddes to Eric Geddes
- Ernest Geddes to Florence Geddes
- Flossie Geddes to Georgia Geddes
- Georgina Geddes to Gwendoline Geddes
- Gwendolyn Geddes to Hilda Geddes
- Hildagard Geddes to Isabella Geddes
- Isabelle Geddes to Jennet Geddes
- Jennie Geddes to Julia Geddes
- Julie Geddes to Lacey Geddes
- Ladonna Geddes to Lila Geddes
- Lilburn Geddes to Louisa Geddes
- Louise Geddes to Margery Geddes
- Margory Geddes to Mccartney Geddes
- Mccullagh Geddes to Morris Geddes
- Moyra Geddes to Norman Geddes
- Notlisted Geddes to Penelope Geddes
- Percy Geddes to Rita Geddes
- Robart Geddes to Sanuel Geddes
- Sara Geddes to Sybil Geddes
- Sydney Geddes to Verner Geddes
- Veronica Geddes to Wina Geddes
- Winifred Geddes to Zelda Geddes
Most Common First Names
- James 5.3%
- William 4.5%
- John 4.5%
- Robert 3.2%
- George 2.9%
- Geddes 2.1%
- Mary 2.0%
- Thomas 1.9%
- Andrew 1.6%
- Charles 1.5%
Geddes Last Name History & Origin
Nationality & Ethnicity
These are the earliest records we have of the Geddes family.
Geddes Death Records & Life Expectancy
According to our database of 2,239 people with the last name Geddes that have a birth and death date listed:
These are the longest-lived members of the Geddes family on AncientFaces.
- Lillian H Geddes lived 107 years
- Ruby E Geddes lived 105 years
- Mildred P Geddes lived 103 years
- Frances M Geddes lived 101 years
- Dorothy Geddes lived 101 years
- Daisy Geddes lived 100 years
- Joseph Geddes lived 100 years
- Mary M Geddes lived 100 years
- Bernice M Geddes lived 100 years
- Geraldine L Geddes lived 98 years
[external link] (Marie Branson King).
William Gaddis died in 1773 and was buried on the foothill of his 421 acre farm on Bear Garden Mtn., Hampshire Co. Va., now W Va. Probably the oldest engraved stone in the county. Stories and pics. in the West Va. Advocate.
I rec'd some material that states "with the Irish immigration of 1737-1740 came William Gaddis and wife Priscilla Bowen to Apple Pie Ridge. He was a land holder by 1750.
William Gaddis signed as a witness in 1748 at the Hopewell Monthly Meetings of the Society of Friends in good standing. Thomas and his brother John became Baptists. Priscilla Bowen's family goes back to 1650 in Wales.
The following paragraph is taken from Dr. Wm. Black's "West of the Alleghenies" I believe the copyright was 1892:
William Gaddis of Apple Pie Ridge, Winchester, .Virgina was of Irish parentage and had settled in Fredrick County, Virgina in the early 1730's. William married Priscilla, the daughter of Henry BOWEN of Fredrick County in 1735. To William and Priscilla GADDIS were born four sons and one daughter.
Thomas, born in 1736, followed by Robert. Henry, John, and Anna. (I also have seen that Thomas was not the oldest among the children in this family of five.
SOURCE: Nancy Kluth; [external link]
Immigration: 1730 Ireland
Will: 11 October 1772
Will probated 9 March 1773. Names his wife Priscilla and son John as executors, but orders that his wife Priscilla divide the estate amoung their children as she wished.
William Gaddis is believed to have come from Ireland during the Irish immigration of the 1730's when many thousands of Scotish Irish settled on the banks of the Opequan in Frederick County, Virginia. He is listed on the Frederick County poll July 24, 1758, as having voted for George Washington. His wife, Priscilla Bowen, born 1718, was the daughter of Henry Bowen, Sr., whose will was probated in Hampshire County, Virginia in 1773. William Gaddis died in Hampshire County, Virginia where is will is dated October 11, 1772 and filed for probate March 9, 1773.
William Gaddis immigrated from Ireland to Apple Pie Ridge. He was a land holder by 1750
Priscilla Bowen's family goes back to 1650 in Wales.
SOURCE: [external link]
Hatch House; Site of oldest known marked grave in county of William Gaddis. A log home c. 1750 built on property deeded to William Gaddis by Lord Fairfax. Restored in 1977. Purchased in 1985 by Perry and Jean Hatch. Smokey Hollow Rd, (Rt. 6) 3 mi. east of Bloomery on Rt. 127 (from Rt. 50 one mi. east of Capon Bridge, Rt. 6 to Smokey Hollow Rd., 16 mi. then 5 mi. to stop sign).
SOURCE: Fayette County, Pennsylvania, Genealogical and Personal History Vol I. www.[external link].
This family was founded in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, by Robert, John, Henry and Thomas Gaddis, sons of William Gaddis, who came from Apple Pie Ridge, about the year 1780. William Gaddis was of Irish parentage, and probably came to Frederick County, Virginia with the Irish immigration of 1737-40; at events he was a landowner in 1750, as transfers show. He married Priscilla, daughter of Henry Bowen, who survived him, and after her husbands death joined her children in Fayette County. Children . Thomas born 1736; commonly known as Colonel Gaddis; was a major in the ill fated Crawford Crawford expedition, later settled in Ohio, where he died at the age of ninety-four years, near Cincinnati. He bravely served his country as a soldier, and was in receipt of a pension of $500 annually until his death. His only descendants in Fayette County are the Hopwoods, Moses Hopwood having married the Colonels daughter, Hannah Gaddis. 2. John (q.v.). 3. Robert, of whom further. 4. Henry, married but had no issue. 5. Anna, married Levi Springer.
Included in book "Descendants of Alexander Geddes/Gaddis by Marie Branson King.