Joseph Jefferson - Actor, Rip Van Winkle
Joseph Jefferson, aka 'Joe Jefferson', was a famous comedian and actor. Jefferson began his career on stage at a VERY young age, often filling roles when plays called for 'a babe in arms' thanks to his mother and father who were both stage actors. Joe Jefferson spent his entire life as an actor, and appeared in various acts across the United States and Europe. Mr. Jefferson gained world wide recognition for his roles in Dion Boucicault's 1866 version of 'Rip Van Winkle', and as Asa Trenchard in Tom Taylor's 'Our American Cousin'.
Joseph Jefferson was born in Philadelphia Pennsylvania on February 20th, 1829 and died of pneumonia on April 23rd, 1905 in Palm Beach, Florida.
- Photo copyrighted by B.J. Falk, N.Y.
- No. 21.
- cf. America's Yesterdays, p. 289.
- This record contains unverified data from caption card.
- Caption card tracings: Actors...; Photog. I.; BI; Theater Actors; Shelf.
- Miscellaneous Items in High Demand
- Album: All photos