Order of Myths, Mardi Gras, Mobile, Alabama
Order of Myths, Mardi Gras, Mobile, Alabama ... show more
- The Order of Myths, Mobile's first and oldest Mardi Gras society, also remains one of its most secretive. The OOMs (Double-Ohh Mms) was founded in 1867, one year after Joe Cain's fateful first ride through the streets of Mobile in the guise of Chief Slacabamorinico, and the organization's first parade rolled on Feb. 25, 1868. One of the OOM trademarks is the float that is the first one of the last parade at the Mobile, Alabama Mardi Gras. Pulled by mules, the float has a broken column (the broken column of life) and Death chases Folly around the column.
- Title, date, subject note, and keywords provided by the photographer.
- Credit line: The George F. Landegger Collection of Alabama Photographs in Carol M. Highsmith's America, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
- Gift ; George F. Landegger ; 2010; (DLC/PP-2010:090).
- Forms part of the George F. Landegger Collection of Alabama Photographs in Carol M. Highsmith's America Project in the Carol M. Highsmith Archive.
- Highsmith (Carol M.) Archive
- United States--Alabama--Mobile.
- Order of the Myths.
- Mardi Gras.
- Digital photographs--Color--2000-2010.