Shchedrin, one of four men chained to wheelbarrows at Kara
- Shchedrin, a school teacher, was one of the political prisoners at the Kara gold mines who, in April, 1882, escaped from prison by digging a tunnel under the prison wall. All were subsequently recaptured and eight prisoners, Shchedrin among them, were permanently chained to wheelbarrows. In July, 1882, all eight were sent to St. Petersburg and imprisoned in the isolation cells at the castle of Schlusselburg.
- Transfer; Manuscript Division (George Kennan Papers); 1973; (DLC/PP-1973:080).
- Forms part of: George Kennan Papers.
- Miscellaneous Items in High Demand
- Political prisoners--Russia (Federation)--Siberia--1880-1890.
- Cartes de visite--1880-1890.
- Photographic prints--1880-1890.
- Portrait photographs--1880-1890.