Part of the U.S. Library of Congress's Cartes de visite and cabinet card portraits of Russians from the George Kennan papers.
- Cartes de visite--1880-1890.
- Photographic prints--1880-1890.
- Portrait photographs--1880-1890.
- 1 photographic print on carte de visite mount.
- Shchedrin, a school teacher, was one of the political prisoners at the Kara gold mines who, in April, 1882, escaped from prison by digging a tunnel under the prison wall. All were subsequently recaptured and eight prisoners, Shchedrin among them, were permanently chained to wheelbarrows. In July, 1882, all eight were sent to St. Petersburg and imprisoned in the isolation cells at the castle of Schlusselburg.
- Transfer; Manuscript Division (George Kennan Papers); 1973; (DLC/PP-1973:080).
- Forms part of: George Kennan Papers.