Postcard of the Chicago Heights, Illinois Library built with money donated by Andrew Carnegie in 1903.
William Weishaar, Park Forest, Illinois in 1952: In the 1950's when the developers came out from Chicago to build Park Forest, William "Bill" Weishaar, grandson of Michael Weishaar who homesteaded the land, was told his farm had been 'rezoned'. He could stay, but would now have to pay taxes on each lot as if it was developed with houses on it. Forced to sell, he decided to try his hand farming in Southern California. But his wife Tillie missed her friends, so they returned to build a home in Steger on W 34th Street.
Two street scenes (post cards) of Chicago Heights, Illinois in the 1910's.
Three Chicago Heights, Illinois Postcards (of the train station, the high school, and City Hall) from the 1920's.
The twins Anna and Stella Weishaar flank Lucy Rose Weishaar as they pose in Cook County Illinois in 1911.
Lucy Rose Weishaar and her twin sisters Stella and Anna Weishaar. Lucy Rose would marry John Emil "Jack" Klawitter in 1936. Stella and Anna would join the Sisters of St Francis, become nuns and college teachers at St. Francis College in Joliet, and take the names Sister Agathena & Sister Bonavita.
St. Anne cemetery in Park Forest, Illinois. Legend tells the story that the devil showed up here on night about a hundred or so years ago, looking to snatch up the soul of a doomed man.
This is a map of what the US looked like at the time Peter Weishaar and his family migrated from Alsace Lorraine to Northern Illinois
St Ann's newspaper clipping from the Chicago Heights (Illinois) Star: St. Ann, located West of Rich Township High on Sauk Trail in Park Forest on the site of the St Annes cemetery. The cemetery was the burial site for early pioneers before it was consecrated by a Catholic bishop in 1852, and was an indian burial grounds before that. The migratory Sauk indians had an encampment south of Sauk trail, and many arrowheads were found by the Weishaars during the spring plowing. Homeowners in this area should be on the lookout; they still occasionally turn up.
St. Liborius School and Church, Steger, IL was completed about 1906. Steger was then a thriving area, centered around the Steger Piano Factory. Mr. Marconi's invention, the radio, dimmed the popularity of the piano, as well as the prospects of the town.