Schneider Family History & Genealogy

36 photos, 62,255 biographies, and last name history of the Schneider family, shared by AncientFaces Members.

Latest Schneider Photos

These photos contain people with the Schneider last name.

View all Schneider photos Add your Schneider photos

Schneider Last Name History & Origin

Edit this Schneider family page


Name Origin

Spellings & Pronunciations

Nationality & Ethnicity

Early Schneiders

These are the earliest records we have of the Schneider family.

Schneider Family Members

Schneider Biographies & Family Trees

Find birth, death records, and obituaries of Schneiders on AncientFaces:

Most Common First Names

Sample of 21 Schneiders bios

Schneider Death Records & Life Expectancy

Other Schneider Records



Write a comment
Eddie Schneider was born October 20, 1911 on Second Avenue, and 17th Street in New York City. Later his family moved to Red Bank, New Jersey where he attended grade school. From there his family moved to Jersey City, New Jersey and he graduated from Dickinson High School. In 1928 his mother passed away and his father took him, and his sister, for a visit to Germany and Norway to visit relatives. It was in Germany that he had his first airplane flight and it was then the "bug" bit him. Eddie received his flying instructions at Roosevelt Field in 1928. In October 1929 he received his commercial pilot's license and so became the youngest commercial pilot in the United States at age eighteen. He also received in that year, his aircraft and engine mechanic's license and so again he became the youngest licensed aircraft mechanic. In August 1930 he succeded in breaking Frank Goldsborough's Junior Transcontinental record from New York to Los Angeles in 29 hours and 55 minutes, lowering the previous record by 4 hours and 22 minutes. He made the return trip in 27 hours and 19 minutes, lowering the previous record by 1 hour and 36 minutes. His total time for the round trip was 57 hours and 14 minutes, thus breaking the preceding record for the round trip, which was 62 hours and 58 minutes. His A.I.I. license was signed personally by Wilbur Wright. Following his transcontinental flight, Eddie flew to Chicago where he was one of the ouststanding personalities at the National Air Races. While there, he was highly complimented for his ability to avoid an air crash over the crowded grandstand, a crash which had it occured, would have cost a number of lives. Schneider had just taken off in his Cessna (with a Warner Scarab engine) monoplane from the Chicago field bound for the balloon races at Cleveland, when he saw the crowd scatter below. Noticing the panic, he looked up and saw the 40 foot left wing of a twenty passenger Buranelli transport plane directly over his. The youthful aviator saw passengers in the Buranelli scramble to the other side of the cabin to tilt the the sloping wing. The danger of the crash was great, and in an instant, Schneider sent his plane diving just as the Buranelli's wing scraped his. The crash was averted by the dip. The officials said his quick action in dipping his plane close to the ground and then pulling clear of the grandstand had probably averted the most serious accident in the races. He then entered in the Ford National Reliability Tour, the youngest pilot to have ever been so honored by an aircraft company. These tours were in reality effeciency races for commercial airplanes flying over a course of five thousand miles, which undoubtably made these races the longest commercial aircraft races in the world. Schneider completed the tour with further honors, winning first place for single engine aircraft and the Great Lakes Trophy. Incidently, he was the first pilot to fly a Cessna throughout the itinerary. Others had been entered in previous tours, but none had finished. Returning to New York, Schneider put in considerable time appearing in smaller air shows, where he attracted hordes of boys and girls to whom he spoke on any and all occasions, impressing upon them always the fact that any one of them could do what he was doing; that aviation belonged to them; that they should grasp the opportunity presented to them. In 1931, the Ford National Reliability Air Tour found Eddie once again a Cessna entry. During the race, the propellor broke and, causing him to lose his engine and so forced him out of the race for three days. This happened over the mountains of Kentucky. After pleading and cajoling with the Warner Company in Detroit, he made the neccesary repairs with a new propellor and had been given permission to reenter the race. Naturally when he reentered the race, he found himself in last place and way behind the leaders, but he gained on his fellow pilots until on the last day, he found himself in first place again for a single engine aircraft and was the winner the second time of the Great Lakes Trophy. In 1932 he became chief pilot for the Hoover Business League. After that he became a student instructor until 1935 when he leased the Jersey City Airport in New Jersey and managed it and conducted his own flying school, aerial photography and charter work. At that time he one of the largest flying schools in the East with over one hundred and twenty-five students. And so he carried on. No flying club was too small or insignificant to win his willing cooperation in the furtherance of their plans. It was at the meeting of the Jersey Journal Model Plane Club that he met his wife, Gretchen Hahnen, who then lived in Jersey City, but was from Des Moine, Iowa. They were married in New York City on June 02, 1934. In December 1935, after a unsuccesful battle to save Jersey City Airport from becoming a stadium, he did exhibition flights and was an instructor at several New Jersey airports. By 1936, flying jobs were hard to come by. Schneider was "invited" to go to Spain and fly for the Spanish Loyalists. He accompanied Bert Acost, Gordon Berry and Freddie Lord. They left New York on November 11, 1936 and arrived in Spain a week or so later. There he flew antiquated planes, but got disgusted and gave up, and came home, in January 1937. Between then and June of 1940 he bacame a mechanic for American Airlines at La Guardia Field, but his heart was not into it, he wanted to fly. He applied to the US Government for a job as a civilian instructor for the Army and was assigned to Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. On December 23, 1940, while instructing a student and coming in for a landing, he was hit in the rear by a Navy Stearman which brought Eddie, and his student, to their untimely death. When the Navy plane landed, it still had Schneider's plane's left wing in their undercarriage. And so, aviation, as an industry, owes a debt of gratitude to it's younger contingent, such as Frank Goldsborough, Bob Buck and Dick James and others who followed, and to these youthful trail blazers who were constantly winning new recruits to the ranks of those who look uopn aviation as a part of themselves and to whom the industry must continue to look for its new leaders. Source: Special Collections, McDermott Library, The University of Texas at Dallas
Sep 18, 2004 · Reply
All that is known about Philip Schneider is that he was born in Germany in 1818 and died in 1884. He married a women named Barbara who was also born in Germany in 1820. They had one child that we know of, born in 1850 in Germany, named Christina Barbara Schneider. She married John Philip Hager in July 1871. John was born in 1845 and died in 1920. She died in 1922. They lived at 25 1st Street, Brooklyn, NY. They had eight children, seven of which lived to adulthood.
Nov 28, 2005 · Reply
My grandfather was William Henry Schneider of Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. He was born in Shelburne where HIS father lived and his namw was also William Schneider. The Schneiders were all from the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania, and came as part of the great Loyalist migration from New York City just after the American Revolution. Through these connections, I am related to Governor Schneider. In turn all these Pensylvania
Schneiders had come in the 1700s to Pa. from HEIDELBURG Germany. They were a family noted for fine education and public service.
My own father was born 1890 in Wrentham, Massachusetts. His mother was Annie Schneider who married my grandfather William Leonard Wade of Granville Nova Scotia. On the wall of my fathers large home office was a fine photograph of Reverend William Henry Schneider, born 1812, educated at ings College and became the noted anglican minister at the st. James Church of Mahone bay. I believe he died in 1887.
This photgraph is unusually excellent as it must have been takne by a real professional, and shows William Henry Schneider in his flowing robes and with a face fully bearded in what was known as "mutton chop" beard. A full story of his life was only in recent years published by a Canadian whose name escapes me this morning. I bought this fine book and my family often uses it. It was through this minister that I am related to the deWolfe family of Nova Scotia as well as the Freemans of Liverpool Nova Scotia. William Henry Scneiders first wife died quite youn--she was a Van Buskirk. His second wife was Ann Freeman deWolfe.
submiited by Paul deWolfe Wade of Brunswick< Maine--proud of his Nova Scotia heritage.
E mail [contact link]
May 23, 2010 · Reply
Looking for relatives of Edward F Schneider born July 12 1950 died Sept 30 2005 buried at [external link]
Jul 09, 2014 · Reply