Lynne Stamm

Families researching: Beam, Bullis, Cornell, Downs, Howland, Hubbard, Lamont, Mineah, Stamm, Straight, Tinker

Recent Activity

to leave a message for Lynne Stamm

Lynne's Biographies

Lynne hasn't created any biographies yet.

Lynne's Comments

Lynne Stamm Otto L. Stamm was born in Huttensteinach, Thuringen, Germany on 21 April 1838. He was the son of George Stamm and Henrietta. He emigrated to the U.S. sometime in the late 1850s and lived in Great Barrington, Berkshire Co., MA where he worked for Reuben Brewer as a farm laborer for three years. In September of 1861 he enlisted in the 27th Infantry Regiment, Co. E., from Great Barrington, MA under Capt. Miller. He was wounded in the Battle of Roanoke Island, under General Ambrose Burnside, on 8 Feb. 1862 suffering an injury of his left hip, which tore away most of his flesh and which would bother him for the rest of his life. He re-enlisted on 22 Dec. 1863 in Newport News, VA. In action at Drury's Bluff, VA on May 16, 1864 he was captured by Confederate forces and sent to Libby Prison in Richmond, VA. A week later he was transferred to the infamous Andersonville Prison where he stayed until sometime in November 1864. He was moved to St. Anthony prison and escaped from there on 12 February 1865. He returned to his regiment and was honorably discharged as a Sgt. on 26 June 1865 in New Berne, NC. He returned to MA. where he met and married Betsie Ann Downs in Sandisfield, Berkshire Co., MA on 8 April 1868. They lived in Monticello, NY, Clarendon, TX (for 2 years) and finally settled in Almond, Allegany Co., NY. They had 7 children: Mary, Martha, George, Levi, Mable, Eva, Grace, and Laura. They lived on a homestead but due to his war injury Otto was only able to work occasional jobs receiving a disability pension from the government. According to friends he was a devout Christian man who loved his family. On 30 June 1913 he made a trip, with two friends, to the 50th Reunion of the Blue and Grey and Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. Arriving late at night, around 9:30pm, they searched for accomodations and around 10:30pm, after stopping at a tent, Otto collapsed and almost immediately died in the arms of his friend, Charles Barber. His body was transferred back, by train, to Almond, NY and he received a military burial borne by his friends. He is buried, along with his wife and daughter Mable Stamm Gavitt, in Woodlawn Cemetary in Almond, NY. According to pension records Otto was 5'3" tall and weighed between 125-135 pounds with auburn hair and hazel eyes. He had a 2" scar across his forehead from a non-combat related injury. While his war injury caused him great pain he never used a cane and tried to work as much as possible in spite of rheumatism, an inguinal hernia, and a heart condition.
Dec 29, 2003 · posted to the surname Stamm