Part of an impoverished family of nine on a New Mexico highway. Depression refugees from Iowa. Left Iowa in 1932 because of father's ill health. Father an auto mechanic laborer, painter by trade, tubercular. Family has been on relief in Arizona but refused entry on relief roles in Iowa to which state they wish to return. Nine children including a sick four-month-old baby. No money at all. About to sell their belongings and trailer for money to buy food.
Part of the U.S. Library of Congress's Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection.
in New Mexico United States of America
Lange, Dorothea, photographer
- Nitrate negatives.
- 1 negative : nitrate ; 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches or smaller.
- Title and other information from caption card.
- LOT 0618 (Location of corresponding print).
- Transfer; United States. Office of War Information. Overseas Picture Division. Washington Division; 1944.
- More information about the FSA/OWI Collection is available at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.fsaowi