Paul Brown

Families researching: Barker, Bartholomew, Boss, Boyd, Brown, Bryant, Burton, Cline, Couch, Davies, Dickinson, Dinsdale, Ellis, Ettleman, Evatt, Fairbanks, Gardner, Grigg, Hinyard, Hixon, Houston, Ice, Keep, Knox, Merkley, Mills, Osborn, Oyler, Pell, Pratt, Rushton, Shaver, Slator, Stata, Stephens, Thompson, Turnbow, Virgin, Walker, Williams

Recent Activity

Contact Paul

Paul's Posts

Paul Brown Life and Testimony of Jeannette Shirley Hadley Alice Jennette Shirley was born 15 March, 1908, in Sugar City, Idaho. She was “strong and healthy” at birth. Yet amazingly, after having eight children and living a physically challenging life until her late 70’s, it was found she was born with a hole in her heart. The hole was finally discovered by doctors puzzled by a large growth on one side of her heart when she was 78. Fearing it was cancer, they scanned her heart. The growth was a mass of muscle built up to help pump her blood in spite of the hole. Usually, children born with holes in their hearts need immediate heart repair in order to live. The doctors were amazed that she had lived with that hole throughout her life and had born eight children, which would ordinarily mean death to someone with a heart like hers. But more than one doctor, for more than one reason, spoke of Mother as a “wonder woman” or as “a walking miracle.” And she was in more ways than they knew! Her name: Mother did not like how her name was spelled. She felt it was too long. So, she told people to spell it “J a n e t,” though still calling it Jennette. When she was in college she tried to spell her name that way. But a professor told her that “J a n e t” does not spell Jennette. Some of her sisters still spell her name as “J a n e t.” Early Childhood: When little, Mother was quick and often slipped away from her mother to explore. They always had to keep an eye on her. One day, when Jennette was two or three, she slipped away and couldn’t be found. Her mother went up the ladder and peeked over the edge of the roof. There she was, eating apples that were spread out on sheets to dry in the sun.” Her mother had to coax her down with a bribe. Grandmother Shirley was proud of Jennette’s voice. Jennette loved to hear her own mother sing, especially “… do your duty with a heart full of song…” which had lasting impact on her. Later Childhood: Jennette’s family consisted of eleven children. They lived on a farm and had to work hard. Mother wasn’t always the most willing worker at first, though she later became a very tireless worker. She says as a child she remembers her father had to teach her to bring him a drink of water out to the fields without scowling and pouting. They raised hay, sugar beets, peas, potatoes, and had milking cows. She helped in the hay and beets, etc., and remembered later how they squished mud through their toes and threw clods at each other to break the monotony of hot, hard, work. There were children born after her, and she helped care for them. She was proud that her father sometimes called her, “Little Mother.” The family had a lot of fun together too. She loved playing Kick the Can. She also loved playing baseball and basketball. She and other family members loved acting in plays and family members helped with musicals in the area, even in forms of the opera. 1918 Flu: Jennette’s family caught the 1918 flu. This Flu killed a lot of people in the world. Relatives and neighbors helped them with nourishment. Priesthood blessings and this help from others kept them alive. The Terrible Crisis: While the family had escaped death during the flu, it came in other forms. Jennette’s father was in Utah when he was stricken with appendicitis, and died. The death was shocking. Jennette wrote how hard it was to accept that death. “I knew Father was in Heaven and that I’d never see him again. So I was completely unprepared when the casket arrived. I didn’t want to see him, or it. Aunt Gertha tried to drag me. I hung onto the bedroom doorknob until Mother said, ‘Leave her alone. She needs some time.’” When everyone was gone, I crept into the room. It was Father all right… It was the 24th of July and a fly was buzzing in the window. I went to dispose of it. Reality had finally come to me. Life had to go on.” But life did become much harder for them. Grandfather Shirley had left behind him a large family of eleven. Grandmother Shirley had to leave the home and go to work sorting seed peas at the local seed house to provide a living for the family. All the children had to work to keep things going at home. Jennette mixed bread at night, then left it in pans overnight; her brother Leo baked it in the morning before school. They had to put seven lunches together, which they put into empty lard (beef fat) pails. They fixed mostly egg sandwiches, or jam or honey sandwiches. (They did not have peanut butter.) Leslie, a brother, made the fire and put on a pot of cereal for their breakfasts. They had their own cows, chickens, and a garden. Mother writes, “Coming home from school I would run across the lawn, toss my books in the front door, run to the wood pile for wood or chips, go in the back door, start the fire and go into the bedroom to change clothes.” Jennette also helped get dinner by peeling potatoes or washing dishes.” One day she had to undertake the disgusting and challenging job of cleaning, degutting, and cutting up several chickens. While the death of their father was a great tragedy, it helped them learn to work hard, and together. Jennette wrote, “I think of our Mother, after Father died and think, ‘How in the world could she do it?’ She had to depend upon the Lord and her fine family; they had to stick together and take care of themselves. I do hope the Lord is as pleased with that as I am.” They had little money, so Jennette made her prom and graduation dresses. Her brother told her that she was a good dancer. Jennette served as the Senior Editor for her high school yearbook. She remembers after writing her report on the Senior Class, she could not find it. She knew she had put it in a safe place, but could not remember where. Finally, after crying and prayer, she found it in the sewing machine drawer. After graduation, she worked at a hot springs north of Sugar City. She earned a dollar a day and board. She became a very good swimmer, dived like a “professional,” and could “swing across the rings as easy as pie.” She felt her work was one great big holiday. By working at the Hot Springs in the summers, she earned enough money to pay for two years of college at Ricks. She even earned enough money to buy some clothes. She said, “One special date I borrowed Sarah’s beautiful red silk polka dot dress. I was the belle of the ball. Life does have its moments.” After two years of college, Mother and her sister Sarah were able to get jobs teaching --- in Landing, Idaho, above Rockland. Romance: While teaching, Mother met John and Amy Hadley, who were serving as Trustees of the school and helped the teachers a lot. After Christmas, she met their son, Leroy, who had just returned from a mission to Canada and northern parts of the U.S. They had a lot of fun that winter. Mother said she could write a book about it. Unfortunately, she didn’t. But she said, among other things, she and Sarah tried to ride skis behind Leroy’s horse. It took them two hours to go a mile. But they finally reached their destination --- his married sister’s place for popcorn. Of her engagement she writes, “Leroy and I were engaged on my birthday. We needed an extra chair from the school house. Leroy and I went over to get it. We paused for a moment and he gave me a nice long tender kiss, then he held me in his arms and said, “Will you be my wife?” I was surprised, but was ready with my answer. How could I be so sure? He liked Sarah too. But I had made up my mind I would say yes. So I simply said, “Yes.” Everyone was surprised but happy. They were married in the Salt Lake City Temple. All the family went out to Fred’s and Clara’s (Jennette’s married brother and his wife) to stay for the night --- including the newlyweds. While Leroy and Jennette were out walking in the yard, some of the others sewed up the sheets on their bed. Early Married Life: Jennette and Leroy married during the time of the Depression. And it was a very hard time financially. Mother writes, “We lived with the folks part of the time and at the dry farm part of the time. The dry farm (no irrigation available) was about six miles west of Leroy’s folks home. That house! That year! Leroy was going to fix it up for me. All they managed to do was tear the partition out and move it around so the wind wouldn’t blow through it. So we lived with a stove in the middle of the floor and no partition behind it.” In the summer sometimes a harmless snake would slither inside. Times really were hard. Leroy worked for his father for their food and clothes. They had little else. Eventually they rented a farm nearby and fixed up an old house that was on it. They had two sons by then; Mother took great precautions in the winters to keep them off the cold floors. But, Mother said, in spite of their poverty, “That winter was one of the most enjoyable winters we ever spent. Our enjoyment came from reading aloud good books together. We read the Church History through, the life of Heber C. Kimball, the life of Parley P. Pratt, and the book, Added Upon.” One night they got so involved in reading, Father forgot to go milk the cows. When he had to do so, he put his light in a milk pail, to make sure his father did not see him milking so late. Eventually they moved near Blackfoot, Idaho, where Leroy bought a farm. They had four children by then. “Leroy worked at everything he could find to do. He rented land beside the forty-acre farm. We thinned beets and in the winter he used to work at the Sugar Factory. Sometimes he’d haul beets until night, then work all night at the Sugar Factory. They bought a bigger farm. There was only a two-room house on it. There was no electricity, no trees. “It looked horrible,” Jennette says. But they felt it had prospects. They had six children by now, the older boys had to sleep in an old boxcar that was outside the yard. It had no heat, and was very cold. The folks attached a rope to a bell, and pulled the rope to ring the bell when it was time for the boys to get up for chores. They planted a lot of beets and began milking a good herd of cows too. Everyone who was old enough worked and worked hard. But everyone had a lot of fun too. Jennette writes, “After working in the beets all day we would take our food down to the Blackfoot River. We would build a bonfire and cook wieners and eat together.” They made good strong friends in the community, and they would get together with them for feasts and picnics too. A favorite outing for the family was to the mountains nearby for picnics of fried chicken, potato salad, fresh sliced tomatoes, corn on the cob, lemonade, homemade bread, and cake and/or cold watermelon. The family undertook building a better home. Leroy bought another small house, tore it down and moved the lumber over. In 1944, many great friends came to help them build onto the house. “We built two rooms and a bath on the east side of the house and extended the roof so it made a nice, big upstairs room. We did all the work ourselves with the aid of the community. Along in January it was time to move the roof over. A group of men came and they disjointed one half of the old roof at the top and sides and bottom. They slid it onto the new [portion[ we had built, secured it into place. [Then they built a center for the roof between the two older portions.] A day or two after we finished, it snowed. We were surely grateful [we had] a roof over us before winter fully set in.” There were other blessings of help from neighbors. Jennette tells, “On the 15th of March, on my birthday, a group of ladies surprised me by bringing in their dinner and coming ready to paper the inside of the house. We papered all three rooms. We really did work to get that house papered that day.” A Second Crisis: The winter of 1947 was filled with sickness: Arlin had rheumatic fever. Shirley, Lenet and Johnnie had mumps. Jennette took food into the bedroom for three months to some sick child. Unfortunately, Johnnie’s mumps masked a case of appendicitis. Before the more serious illness was discovered, it was too late, and Johnnie died of a ruptured appendix at the age of five. His death was a great shock and sorrow to his parents and family. To salve their sorrow, eventually Jennette and Leroy had two additional children, though Jennette was in her forties, making the total number of children eight. Every summer the family had big hay crews come. Jennette had to cook for a lot of men, and she had to do everything from scratch: chickens had to be killed, defeathered, disemboweled, cut up, then fried. New potatoes had to be dug out of the ground, then cooked. [They were often cooked with fresh peas, which had to be picked and shelled, then creamed. All cooking was done for years on a wood fire.] Lettuce, radishes, carrots were picked, washed and cut up for cooking and salads. Some kind of fresh bread was often baked. Cakes were made, and Jennette often made homemade ice cream. It was a tremendous amount of work. But it was all so fresh and delicious! One year, Leroy came in with his haying crew, and Jennette was not there. There was no food prepared. He was very upset, and tried to make some kind of meal, but obviously could provide little for very hungry and greatly disappointed men. They went back to work. A long time later, Jennette came. She too was very upset. She had gone early in the morning to pick some currants in the field with a neighbor. An old mean bull, on whom Father had put blinders to make him less dangerous, had rubbed them to the side so he could see, after all. The angry bull had kept Mother and her friend up in a tree for hours! The Children Grow Up: Around the time Lee and Susan were born, some of the older children were leaving home. Darrell went first to BYU, then on a mission, then into the Army. Arlin stayed and helped Leroy on the farm, and learned to fly. But then he too went on a mission. Shirley went to BYU. Another Move: The long, wind and snow-blowing winters wore greatly on Leroy. The year of 1956, just before Darrell came home from the Army and Arlin came off his mission, Father bought another farm in Emmett, Idaho, a milder climate. Leroy, Jennette, and Grandfather John E. Hadley went back to pick the boys up from the East Coast, and saw many special sites going and coming. Then the family moved to Emmett. By this time, Shirley had graduated from BYU and was teaching school in California. After they moved to Emmett, Douglas joined the Marines for a while, then went on a mission. 5 Children’s Marriages: The move to Emmett had significant influence. Both Darrell and Arlin found their wives from that area. Once the children started marrying, there was a steady stream of marriages. Shirley married first in 1956. Then Arlin married the next summer, 1957. Darrell married that same fall, 1957, and Lenet married the following winter, 1958. The Third Crisis: The winter of 1960 was a very difficult one for Jennette and Leroy. Jennette developed Hodgkins Disease. The x-rays showed one lung almost filled with fluid. Through radiation treatments they were able to handle the problems, for a time, but were told that she would only live for a few years. In addition, by that time, many family farms were in deep financial problems, and Dad’s was among them. They struggled both with the physical distress of her illness and the never ending worries of heavy farm debt. Douglas finished his mission, married, and they lived on the farm with Jennette and Leroy. This brought help and comfort to them. There was also Lee and Susan, who still lived at home, bringing them joy as well as continued family responsibility. The crisis worsened in 1964. While the disease had been put at bay for a time, it returned, and the family were told that Jennette had only a few months to live. The cancerous growth greatly enlarged her stomach; her arms and legs were starved and wasted. I visited my parents for a month, but then had to leave, as I had my own responsibilities at home. I grieved that my efforts to help had seemed so pitiful. I will never forget the moment at the airport when Mother turned away from me in grief and loneliness. She could not bear to say goodbye, for we were under the belief this “goodbye” would be until the Eternities. The Sunday after my return, our whole family fasted and knelt in prayer, that the doctor’s word, that she had only two more months to live, might not be realized. As we knelt, I felt a strong comfort in knowing that my brothers and sisters similarly knelt in their family groups, also fasting and praying for Mother’s life. Knowledge of the goodness of these family members and the strength of their faith in God, added to the desperate hope that we might be favorably heard. After our united petitions, Spencer Palmer, [for he and Shirley were present with Mother then,] laid his hands upon her head to give her a blessing. In spite of all the physical evidence, in spite of the professional pronouncements, he was prompted by the spirit to promise Mother that she would live to an old age! Mother’s acceptance of this blessing --- with faith, greatly impressed me. And the spirit which whispered promise through that blessing spoke truly. In spite of the fact that Hodgkins Disease was considered incurable, through a combination of difficult medical treatments and miracle, the tumor within her stomach was destroyed and health and vigor returned to her body. The medical treatments consisted of cobalt treatments to shrink the tumor in her stomach. After that they gave her hydrogen mustard gas in her veins. The doctors would come in their leather aprons, gloves and boots, because if they got some of that on them, it would kill them. These treatments were terribly, terribly hard on Mother. But through some miracle, they worked Mother’s health was restored, and she lived to enjoy the growth of all her many wonderful grandchildren. She saw many who were not even born yet, married. And she lived to see, experience, and enjoy many other wonderful things in her life. She did indeed live to an old age --- not passing away until 1987. Her life had been extended for twenty-three years. Even then, her death did not come from Hodgkins Disease, but from that hole in her heart with which she had been born, though a lymphoma for which she took chemotherapy for several years was a contributing factor. Once while visiting the doctor who treated her for Hodgkins, not LDS, she overheard him tell a nurse, “Here comes a walking miracle.” He knew it was not the medical technology alone which had saved her life from Hodgkins. However, there was still the other part of the crisis in their life that had to be overcome. They still struggled with overwhelming farm debt. Eventually, Leroy traded the farm for an apartment house in Boise, and he found a job. Jennette enjoyed the apartment house. She and Mary Lou went downtown often. They did not have any money to shop, but they went down to look. But Leroy was miserable in his job, and eventually bought a butcher shop in a place called Grandview. They and Lee and Susan moved out to Grandview to live, leaving Douglas and Mary Lou to run the apartment house. While the butcher shop too proved to be financially unsuccessful, it led them to a position which was perfect for them. Leroy eventually became Water Master for the farmers in Grandview. This allowed him work in the summer with enough income to support themselves, [Dad raised some calves on the side], and it gave them winters off where they could travel to visit their children and grandchildren. [I, Lenet, had reason to feel this several step set of circumstances was also a miracle, as I record in my Father‘s history.] The Fruitful Rewards: Jennette and Leroy had wonderful experiences in the latter part of their lives as they were blessed to visit and be visited by their families. These experiences are far too many to recount. I can only share some highlights, and will generally share more of those which relate to my own family. Their 50th Wedding Anniversary: Dad and Mother were rightfully honored for reaching their 50th anniversary as loving husband and wife. First there was a surprise party for them in Grandview. Then a big celebration in Provo. Not only the children, but many other members of their extended family came to honor them. There was a dinner at a special restaurant for them and their children and spouses. A special quilt was presented to them, under Shirley’s work and direction. We held a program, featuring slides of their lives. We had a picnic in the park, and later, many pictures taken at Darrell’s church, where he was bishop. Then there was an evening program in the church where the members of each family presented talents. I wrote and read a special tribute to them. The highlight, however, was the special sacrament and testimony meeting we held in Darrell’s house where all their children, spouses, and grandchildren [except three who were serving missions] gathered. Mother’s own account of the meeting follows: “Bishop Arlin Hadley took charge. Jim Peterson gave the opening prayer. Songs were sung (our family all have beautiful voices). It was such a thrill to me. Father and I sat where we could see everyone. The priests and deacons [all grandsons] prepared and passed the sacrament and the time was spent giving our testimonies. I can say this ‘It was a bit of Heaven here on earth.’ I cry with joy to think of it now. To hear each one of our families bear their testimonies in their own way, it was a most spiritual experience. I’m sure we felt the blessings of our heavenly Father there that day --- a part of His family. I hope He was pleased with us.” Mother was honored several times by groups in her wards. She wrote, “The Mutual girls voted for me to be their special guest on Wed., their mutual night. It was truly an honor for me. I wore my special white dress. And Wendy introduced me and gave a short story of my life. They pinned a corsage on me and gave me a big spontaneous hug.” Another time the Relief Society sisters honored her as “Queen for a Day” at a homemaking luncheon. On another occasion, she was honored for her art work, and especially for getting a lot of the sisters in Grandview interested in painting; she had taught them how. Jennette and Leroy loved visiting their family. Because we lived in many different areas, they came to visit us in North Carolina; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Indianapolis; and Florida. They made two trips to Indiana, enjoying the children, seeing the city, going shopping, having lunch out. They also enjoyed Family Home Evening where they told of their family lives in the early days. The children enjoyed hearing it. They came to the mutual talent show. Jennette wrote, “Tomi was a character from funny paper fame. She and her funny paper friend flashed on and off the stage for funny quips and predicaments. She was well heard and distinct. Jeff sang ‘MacNamaras Band.’ He sang with quickness and gusto. He even did a jig after. The audience really liked it.” A highlight was a trip to Brown County, which is famous for its colorful fall foliage. She wrote, “We stopped at a very colorful shop [brimming with colorful gourds and pumpkins, and other fall goodies] and bought some pumpkins for Thanksgiving, apples, etc. The autumn leaves were unbelievably pretty…We stopped and viewed beautiful sights and took some pictures that could never do justice to the coloring in the trees.” We also went to Washington D.C. They were going to meet Susan, flying down from New York with her boys, to go back with them to Utah. And they really wanted to see the Washington D.C temple. They had heard so much about it. We even did a couple of sessions. Mother found the grounds especially beautiful, and everything so peaceful. After we moved to Gainesville, Florida, they came to visit us there too. They really enjoyed their flight out. Mother wrote, “Again we felt loved and were escorted home. The weather is pleasant and lovely, and the country is beautiful. The children greeted us at home. Brave Tomi and laughing Jeff and David with knowing brown eyes.” [John and Richard were both on their missions then.] Dad went to a Florida football. Mother stayed home, relaxed and “enjoyed the lovely home and pleasant surroundings.” They enjoyed their visit to the Millhopper, an interesting old sinkhole, with stairs going down deep into it, where there is wonderful tropical foliage. Jennette particularly enjoyed a day visiting Silver Springs: a ride in a glass bottom boat over a natural springs full of fish, with birds in the trees alongside. Took another ride where we saw jungle animals and monkeys. “We walked down to the Deer Park and saw deer, cute and fat goats and llamas.” Mostly they enjoyed being with the family and doing things with them -- She commented how special it was, reading the Book of Mormon and prayer. They had Thanksgiving with us. The day after we all went to Disney World. I stayed with mother and we did slower, quieter things, letting the others go for more thrilling experiences. Mother said, “We went home weary but well fed on fun and extravagant things to do and see.” From Florida Mother and Dad went on to New York to help Susan with the birth of their third child. One Christmas, when John, Richard and Tomi were all at BYU, we flew to Provo for Christmas. Shirley and Spencer went to California for the Holiday Bowl, so they let us stay in their house. Mother and Father drove up and joined us there. Mother wrote, “We took over at the house. The boys and Tomi moved in too. And they were so happy to be together. They were just fun to be around. They went skiing three days. [We had a great time laughing at the funny things that happened as all these first time skiers, with inadequate ski clothes, had hilarious experiences.] The holidays were a huge success.” Mother’s Final Years: Jennette developed lymphoma. It had grown into her spleen and liver before discovered. Mother took intermittent chemotherapy for several years. The medicines she took always caused her heart to give her a lot of trouble. She grew increasingly tired and sometimes discouraged. Father retired from being Water Master. Some in the family tried to talk them into moving to Utah, but they liked the weather and the less traffic in Idaho. They bought a very nice lot in Boise for their mobile home where they could fully retire and spend their final years working in the temple. The lot was very nice with lots of grass; Mother planted a lot of flowers; roses surrounded the lot. They planted some of the pine trees. She liked being closer to town. The long drive to Grandview had grown hard on her. The time came for grandchildren to begin marrying. We went to Provo one spring to meet John’s and Richard’s fiances. Father and Mother came to Provo and met them too. Mother wrote, “We had so much fun sitting on blankets and wrapped up all in a big bunch. [At a BYU Baseball game]. It was a delightful time to all be together.” We went to Shirley’s for potluck dinner Sunday, watched a choir with Richard in it on T.V. Mother continued to have problems with her heart. One day she wrote, “My heart went crazy this morning but I lived through it. Its perfectly normal since then.” It worried her. The Dr. told Dad, “I would like to x-ray her heart. There is something wrong. But I don’t know what it is.” The e-rays showed the mass of muscle, and eventually the hole there. She had been born with it. Father heard the machine she was on. Instead of a “beat, beat”, there was a “swussh, swussh,’ because of the hole. Father said of her, “Jennette didn’t complain. One thing about her, she was very patient.” Her health continued to deteriorate. She was taken to the hospital for blood transfusions. She felt it was useless to continue to go, but Father could not keep from taking her. Mother also suffered from declining eyesight. For a long time, she could only see shapes around a black hole, which kept her from doing her beloved oil painting. One of the last entries in her journal, was that she suffered from “Eye ache!!! I can only see for awhile.” I went to visit her just before her death, and stayed with her. She told me that she was ready to pass beyond the veil. She was not afraid to do so, because she had not done anything she was ashamed of in her life. I felt it an honor to be with her and to help her make it through “The Second Passage” --- from this life into the next, just as she had brought all of her children through the veil from the pre-mortal existence into this life. It was actually a miracle I was able to go to be with her, because I was in school at the University of Florida then, taking classes. But there was just a long enough break at the right time, and an understanding professor, to be with her and to stay for the funeral. Mother was very concerned about her family and their spiritual welfare. She prepared her own “Last Testimony” which she recorded just before her death. She had it read at her funeral, urging all of her family to hearken to the commandments and to live good lives. She died in her sleep, peacefully on March, 6, 1987. At the viewing and funeral, there were many people who came who had not seen each other for a long time, so there was much greeting of loved ones. At first I was a little concerned whether these happy greetings took away from respect for Mother. But as I thought about her, I felt strongly she was doing the very same thing on the other side of the veil. I knew she was being greeted by her beloved Johnnie, and by her own dear loved Mother and Father, and sisters and brothers, and friends, and prophets, and the Christ!
Mar 24, 2007 · posted to the surname Hadley
Paul Brown Life and Testimony of William Henry Shirley William Henry Shirley was born January 19th, 1829, in Portsea, Hampshire, England. Very sadly, his father died when he was only twelve years old. An uncle, who owned a ship and made trips between England and South Africa, suggested to William Henry and a brother Thomas, “Come and go with me to South Africa where there is a chance for young boys.” So these two boys went to South Africa, leaving a younger brother home in England with their widowed mother. When they arrived at Cape Town, the boys served as apprentices to a man so they could learn his trade. [Some give the name as Mr. Streak; others as Mr. Cadie.] William Henry eventually became a wheelwright. He and his brother helped make wagons that were then sold to the British Soldiers who were there to control the Kaffir [or Kefir] tribes of Africa. The Shirley Brothers Meet the Bubb Sisters A lone apple tree separated the yards of the Shirleys and the Streaks where Maria lived and Martha came often to visit. When the apples were ripe, ready to pick and eat, the Shirley boys, William Henry and Thomas Charles, soon picked those on their side, and after eating all those, figured out a way to pick the apples off the neighbor’s side of the tree. Henry and Thomas built themselves a long wooden trough by putting two long pieces of lumber together. All they had to do was put the wooden trough up in the apple tree into the other side, put it under the apples, then shake gently and the apples rolled down the trough right into their hands and pockets. The girls soon noticed their apples were disappearing. So Ester Maria and Martha Sarah decided to catch the culprits. They set up a little hiding place to sit, wait, and watch. A day or two passed, then it happened. Maria and Martha saw Henry and Charles leave their house, pick up the wooden trough and head straight for the apple tree. Just as the boys began to shake the apples down, out came Maria and Martha and caught them in the act. Well, it seems this incident led to accusations from the sisters and apologies from the boys. This was the beginning of a friendship. William and Maria had other times to extend their friendship. Finally, William Henry served as a Sunday School teacher in the Church of England which Ester attended. This led to their eventual marriage. Later his brother married her sister. William Henry met the Mormon Elders, and was the first in his family to join the church. Later his wife joined. In March 1859, he and his wife, with an infant son, set sail for America on the ship called Alacrity. A year later, his brother and her sister sailed on the same ship. Sailing to America (Told by Maria Bubb to Sarah V. Shirley) The ship on which William Henry and Maria sailed went past the barren island of Saint Helena, off the west coast of Africa. This was “In the Atlantic where Napoleon Bonaparte had been exiled by the English, and was later buried on the island.” Fresh water was needed on the ship, so Maria and William Henry went by small boat [I assume they were with a group] to that rock island, and climbed up on it by a rope ladder. They took the time to look out at the ocean in all directions. Then they gathered and took on a supply of water, food, etc. The crossing of the ocean took them three months. They finally landed in Boston, Massachusetts about 1857, on to Missouri, where they bought supplies, and then on to Council Bluffs, where they joined a company of Saints and started for Salt Lake City. The Captain of the company was Edward Stevenson. At a point where they outfitted to cross the plains, a man in the group needed help and William Shirley bought him a wagon and team for the journey to Utah. He was to pay William Shirley back in Utah. Many people were in debt and unable to pay back what was borrowed, so President Brigham Young told the people to forgive and forget their debtors which William Shirley offered to do for his friend. William Shirley had also bought a half interest in another wagon and team for Maria and their son Thomas to travel in. The woman had no children, and was to do the cooking while Maria and friends went to the river on wash days and wagon repair days. They washed in the river and hung their clothes to dry on the grass and willows. One day they were told the cook had boiled eggs and cooked ham. One of the girls asked where it was, but was told she hadn’t cooked any. So the questioner walked around the wagon tongue and over the jocky box and found it. They had a good meal that night. She had done that thing before and dropped the egg shells under the wheels. This same person complained about Maria’s bawling baby, so Maria took it from the back of the wagon and carried it the rest of the way. One night it rained so they gathered brush to put their feather bed on and made a trench to carry away the water. That night they heard the water running under their bed. When she arrived in Salt Lake City, her shoes were worn out. Henry eventually made her shoes from cowhide to wear. When they got to Great Salt Lake City they stayed in a room of Mrs. William Penrose. Later on Maria was told she had better bring the potatoes in from outside as they might freeze. She said, “We will shut the outside door.” Soon she went and got some potatoes and put them in cold water. They stuck together. She said, “William, what ails these potatoes?” From the frozen potatoes, she had begun to learn life was different in the frigid north. In 1860 they received their endowments in the endowment house in Salt Lake City, and in 1875 they were baptized into the United Order. They eventually had a family of seven sons, four dying when young. William worked very hard at painting for Silver Brothers and wherever he could get work. He lived at Mill Creek where James F. Shirley was born. He lived at Paris before Charles C. Shirley was born. He went to Logan to try and get work on the railroad and find some oranges for Maria, which she missed. He could only get some orange marmalade, which was just not the same. They finally moved to Fish Haven, Idaho, where he purchased sixty acres in the south field and acreage on the town site where he built a home. In Fish Haven, William painted a panorama of scenes he exhibited about animal life in South Africa. One scene showed the sinking of the Jennette in the Arctic Ice. He also worked a great deal on the new Church house in Fish Haven. He made lounges with nicely carved fruit and etc. To decorate them, he painted two scenes of a vessel on the ocean. One picture was a vessel in full sail, and the other was a scene of a child in a high chair and a cat reaching up and licking the slice of bread. The corner of the room shone clearly and the faggots were hung on the wall ready for the fireplace. The boy’s hair was blonde and curled. But William’s full time work was as a house painter, and his last job involved traveling to Montpelier, Idaho each week. He was painting on a roof and got sick. He got down and tried to paint on the side of the building but was too dizzy and went to his room in the hotel. He called a Dr. Hoover who found he had painters consumption. His lungs were badly damaged. He had to arrange for a man to take him to Fish Haven in a buggy. It gave Maria a bad fright as he got out of the buggy. They had Dr. Hoover come again but William was too far gone for help. Fortunately for Maria’s sake, he had just made the last payment on the land in the south field, and had bought her a new set of flat irons. He died 27 September 1886, at his home. He had sacrificed much in his life for the gospel. If he had stayed in South Africa, he probably would have become rich. But for the sake of the gospel he left all, and was faithful to the gospel’s principles to the end.
Mar 24, 2007 · posted to the surname Shirley
Paul Brown Life and Testimony of Henry Mower, Sr. Henry Mower Sr. was born December 18, 1798, at Frederick, Maryland. He was a son of Michael and Catherine Heisinger (or Geisinger) Mower. When Henry was about two years old, his father moved to Clearfield, Pennsylvania, where his childhood and youth was spent. He received the best schooling possible at that time, which of course was quite limited, as he had to assist his father in making a living. Very early in life he met a beautiful young lady, named Mary Amick, who he married when he was only seventeen. Ten children were born to them, including Henry Jr., who is our ancestor. Henry’s father, Michael, was a wagon maker. Henry enjoyed helping him, and later he worked in a grist mill. From early childhood he was religiously inclined and joined the Methodist Church. He studied for the ministry and became a Methodist Preacher, but it seemed to him that there was something lacking with this religion. He was seeking something he didn’t have. He then came in contact with the Campbellites. He believed they were more nearly right, so he resigned his position as a Methodist Preacher, joined the Campbellites, and became a Campbellite preacher, which had been organized by Sydney Rigdon, Alexander Campbell, and Walter Scott. While Henry was laboring as a Campbellite preacher, a Mormon Elder by the name of William Boweley (or Bowerly) came to see him and asked for permission to preach in his church. Henry told him he might use his pulpit and his congregation. [What an amazing response!] A large crowd greeted the elder with much curiosity. They listened intently to the sermon and wondered what Henry would say at the close. Imagine their surprise when their pastor arose and bore his testimony to the truthfulness of what they had heard! Henry invited the elders to his home and from them he and his family learned more of the beauties of this glorious new gospel --- just restored. An undying testimony of the truthfulness of it was given to him and he applied for baptism. He resigned his position as a Campbellite preacher, and the day he was baptized, many of his former congregation walked twenty-one miles to see his immersion. They surely felt bad to think that their minister had been so misled. His family also joined the Church, and they were very desirous of being nearer the main body of the Church. So with all his family, except one daughter, they moved to within four miles of Springfield, Illinois. His home was always the home of the elders and all he could do was cheerfully done to advance the work of the Lord. From Springfield he soon moved to Iowa, just opposite Nauvoo. While living there he was called on a mission to the Eastern States. He and his companion became wonderful friends, and had greet success. Henry had the privilege of baptizing many into the Church. When he returned from his mission, he moved his family to Council Bluffs, Iowa. (Then known as Kanesville.) His beloved wife, Mary, had endured so many hardships of the pioneer life, it seemed she could stand no more. She became very ill. All that loving hands could do was done for her, but she rapidly grew worse and passed away at the age of forty-eight, leaving her husband her ten children to mourn her loss. Henry missed his companion very much. She had been a great source of inspiration and comfort to him in all the trying scenes they had passed through. They had been mobbed and persecuted so much for the gospel’s sake that nearly all their earthly possessions were gone. But our Heavenly Father did not forsake him. He sent another beautiful young lady into his life, Lucretia Hupper from Port Clyde, Knox County, Maine. She had accepted the gospel against the wishes of her parents, and she had left her home, a lonely girl, to cast her lot with the Saints. She was longing for loved ones who would be dear to her. These two met and it was love at first sight. They needed each other, but there were many things to be considered by Lucretia. Henry was much older than she was, having a daughter of her own age, and all his huge family of children she would have to mother, and his poor financial condition. She had been working and was quite well fixed. What should she do? Her heart told her. She loved Henry and they were married February 5, 1847. She thus became the stepmother of a lovely group of stepchildren. They came into her life when she need them most and she loved them very dearly as her own. At the time of her marriage her husband’s earthly possessions consisted of a small log room, a bedstead, a chest, three three legged stools, a rude table, and some bedding. Lucretia had plenty of clothing and cut much of it up to make clothing for the children. At Kanesville, Iowa, her first child was born -- a little girl who died within the year. Later a baby boy was born to them and they named him Orson Hyde Mower. Their home was happy with the consolation after their loss. They later had other children in Utah Henry was a trusted friend of the prophet Joseph Smith, and oh, how Henry loved him! Henry was away from home on another mission at the time of the martyrdom. And although they knew nothing of the terrible tragedy at the time, a terrible feeling of gloom came over them which they could not cast off, and when the word came to them of the sad news, they were almost heartbroken to lose both their prophet and their patriarch. Henry suffered all the hardships of the early Saints, but he was never heard to complain, and he was happy to be numbered with the Saints of God. When the great march to the West began, he made preparations for the journey, leaving in June, 1851. They came in Abraham Day’s Company. On the way, one of his horses died, and he had to use his cows to pull the wagon. He first settled with his family in Salt Lake City, but soon moved to Ogden. He lived there until the time of the move south in 1858, when Johnston’s Army came. At that time, the Saints, thinking they had finally found peace, were asked once again to give up all and move south, destroying what they had built, so their enemies could not gain from it. Henry obeyed the counsel of Brigham Young, “I have told you that if there is any man or woman that is not willing to destroy anything and everything of their property that would be of use to the enemy if left, I wanted them to go out of the territory and I say so today. For, when the time comes to burn and lay waste our improvements, if any man undertake to shield his, he will be sheared down, for judgment will be laid to the line and righteousness to the plummet. Now the faint-hearted can go in peace; but should that time come, they must not interfere. Before I will suffer what I have in times gone by, there shall not be one building, nor one foot of lumber, nor a stick, nor a tree, nor a particle of grass and hay that will burn, left in the reach of our enemies. I am sworn, if driven to the extremity, to utterly lay waste to this land, in the name of Israel’s God, and our enemies shall find it as barren as when we came here.” (Brigham Young, 1858.) According to the Deseret News, May 10, 1858, “The people from the north [of the Utah settlement] are all moving south. The roads are lined from Box Elder to Provo with horse, mule, or ox teams and cattle, and sheep.” Henry moved his family to Springville, where they made their permanent home. In time, he took a plural wife. After their move to Springville Henry became one of the town’s prominent men, serving in the city council. Henry was scrupulously honest, and at his death, April 4, 1878, no one was ever found who said he owed them a penny. He believed in living within his means and was economical, industrious, and generous, and would gladly share his last morsel with anyone in need. He was an able teacher, both by example and precept, of that Gospel that was dearer to him than all else. Henry had a long, useful, prosperous, and happy life, and it was said of him at his funeral, “He had thousands of friends and no enemies.” His wife Lucretia, wrote this poem after his death. “He’s gone, I do not mourn him. Life’s fleeting dream is o’er. He’s gone to meet his loved ones Upon the other shore. His pilgrimage is ended, His earthly sorrows past. By angels hands attended, He has gained his home at last.”
Mar 24, 2007 · posted to the surname Mower
Paul Brown North Carolina Will Abstracts, 1760-1800 the North Carolina Wills B. page 270 [p.270] 1772 BROWN, WILLIAM, Margaret (wife), William, John, James, Susannah, Elizabeth, Margaret; also Robeson, Charity; Elliott, Constant; Wynn, Constant. Transcribed by Kristine A. Card 8 August 1985 This will is in the State Archives in Raleigh, North Carolina. The will is in good condition. The paper is a light brown color and the ink is dark brown, but it is very readable. The will was folded in half right along the line which reads "I give and bequeath to my daughter Margaret Brown one Cow and one year old lamb and". The ink on this line is much more faded than the rest of the document, but it is still readable. However, it is easy to see how the line could be missed if not studied with care. The will was obviously written by a scribe and William Brown signed with his mark. The mark is visible between the words William and Brown with the word his over it and the word mark below. The mark is difficult to describe. There is a strong slanted line as in the letter X from upper right to lower left. The cross the other direction is very short and faint above the line of the other diagonal and below is looped and bent. Almost every word was readable. The few words that were questionable I have marked with a question mark in brackets following the word, like this [?]. Also in one instance the word my was written where I believe he meant may. I have put may in brackets following my. I have done the same with Being [been]. I have kept all spellings as they are in the original document and capitalization’s as best I could determine. I have preserved all line divisions; because his lines are longer than mine, I have indented all continuations. There were no indentations in the original. After the final word in the first paragraph, following, there is a broken line (dashes) from the end of the word to the right edge of the paper; likewise after the word distributed in the next sentence. At the end of each sentence that begins "I give and bequeath" there is a solid line from the last word to the right edge of the paper. The word Seal after the name of William Brown is encircled with small, continuous arches, each interior point looped in a small circle. The best description I can think of is an elementary drawing of a cloud. After the names of witnesses John Bentley and John Northen, there is something written in very small letters. It looks like the two are identical, and I believe both begin with the letter I, but that is all I could determine ----- In the Name of god Amen I William Brown of the County of Roann in The province of North Carolina being of a perfect and sound memory tho of a Weak and frail body and Calling to mind that it is appointed for all men once to Die do Constitute and appoint this my last Will and testament Revoking and disannulling all other heartofore made by me: Imprimis I give my Body to the ground from Whence it was first taken and Recommend my Soul into the hands of almighty god Beseeching his most gracious acceptance of it: as to my Burial I desire it my [may] be neat [?] and decent without pomp or pride according to the Discretion of my Executors hear after named and as to this Wordly Estate it has Being [been] the almightys pleasure to bestow upon me I Will and desire in manner following… I will that all my Just Debts be Justly payd before my Estate be Distributed I give and bequeath to my well beloved wife Margret Brown my Improvement where I now live and all my houshold furniture and my sheep and my work horses and nine head of Cattle and my hogs and my plantation working tools during her natural life I give and bequeath to my daughter Charity Robson one shilling sterling and that is all I will give her I give and bequeath to my daughter hannah Elliot one shilling sterling and that is all I shall give her I give and bequeath to my son William Brown one Cow and that is all I shall give him I give and bequeath to my son John Brown one sorril hors and that is all I shall give him I give and bequeath to my son James Brown one horse Colt and that is all I shall give him I give and bequeath to my daughter Constant wynn one Cow and that is all I shall give her I give and bequeath to my daughter Susannah Brown one Cow and that is all I shall give her I give and bequeath to my duaghter Elizabeth Brown one Cow and that is all I shall give her I give and bequeath to my daughter Margret Brown one Cow and on Year old [?] lamb and that is all I shall give her I give and bequeath to my grandaughter Margret Brown the daughter of Susannah Brown one heifer Calf and that is all I shall give her and the Remainder of my Estate If there be any left I leave unto the disposial of my wife Margret Brown I do hearby through the love and goodwill I Bear to my well beloved friend Henry Strange appoint him with my well beloved wife Margret Brown as Executor and Executrix of this my last will and testament depending on their faithfull discharge In witness where of I have here unto set my hand and Seal this nineteenth day of february In the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy two Sind Seald and acknoledged in the presence of us his John Bentley William Brown Seal Abner Cotton mark John Northen Note: See my profile for an image of this will or emailme at
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Brown
Paul Brown The Life and Testimony of Henry Mower, Jr. Henry Mower Jr., was born 22 November 1824 in Bedford, Pennsylvania, son of Henry Mower Sr., and Mary Amick. He was the fourth child of their ten children. When Henry was twelve years old, in September, 1836, his parents joined the Church. We know he was also baptized at this time, but no record exists. About 1838, his family moved to Springfield, Illinois. This was before the Saints were driven from Missouri. A story handed down in the family is that while living in this area, Henry Jr., drove a carriage for Abraham Lincoln. This was while Abraham Lincoln was a member of the state legislature. In about 1843, Henry Sr., moved his family to Nauvoo. Mob violence was severe at that time. Also living in Nauvoo was a lovely young Mormon girl by the name of Susan Strong. She, with her parents, Jacob and Sarah Hill Strong, had joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints along with other family members in Strongtown, Indiana County, Pennsylvania, and migrated west to be with the Mormon in Nauvoo. After a short courtship, Henry Jr. and Susan were married on 11 December, 1845, in Nauvoo. When the temple was completed, they were endowed on 3 February, 1846. Soon after this the Mormons were driven out of Nauvoo into the plains of Iowa. They started their journey with no outfit, and got as far as Council Bluffs, known as Kanesville at that time. This was one of the places the Saints gathered until they could journey on to the Rocky Mountains in the West. They had to remain there for two years. Henry Jr. was especially tender with Susan at this time, as she was expecting their first child. This child died the day after he was born. Henry Jr’s mother, Mary Amick Mower, also died while in Kanesville in 1846. Also while in Kanesville, they had a second child, another son. In 1849, the Mower family joined the Silas Richards Company and made the long trek to the Salt Lake Valley. They started with two yoke of cattle and a cow. They arrived at their destination in October or November of 1849. The fort in Pioneer Square was a haven of rest for the Mower family that first winter there. As soon as possible, Henry provided Susan and their small son with a home outside the fort. He had employment as a hotel manager and also sold provisions, etc. to the travelers going west to California. Some say that his store was located in Union, Salt Lake, Utah. They were grateful when a daughter, Sarah Elizabeth, was added to their family on 10 October, 1851. This is our ancestor. Henry thought to better his living conditions by moving his family closer to his father who lived now in Springville, Utah. Here he ran the first threshing machine in that area. To make his records in the Church more accurate, he was rebaptized on 3 May 1855. He moved his family back to Union Fort later. This may have been due to the ill health of Susan, and a desire for her to be cared for by those who loved her, as she died on 17 July 1856. Susan was sorrowfully and lovingly buried in Salt Lake City cemetery. Due to his daughter, Sarah’s tender age, and no mother, Henry allowed his parents to take five year old Sarah Elizabeth into their home, where she was raised to maturity. In April, 1857, Henry married Alice Chappel Burton, in the Endowment House and they had three children. He later took a third wife, who was a widow. And he eventually had several wives. In 1862, he moved part of his family to Fairview, Sanpete County, which was a new locality just being settled for farming and stock raising. From the start, the numerous Indians residing in the area resented the intrusion of the settlers, and reacted by taking everything they could lay their hands on around the homes as well as stealing livestock on the ranges. Then a scuffle between an Indian and a white man occurred in Manti, in 1864, and it started the Black Hawk War, which was a very serious confrontation. Henry took an active part in the war, being ready to go at a minute’s notice in defense of the settlers and their livestock. He could ill afford to lose a nice team of horses to the marauders. Finally, peace was restored in the area between the Saints and Indians. In those early days of Fairview, there wasn’t much that could be done to earn money. Most of the financial needs of the people were met by trading work or produce for one’s needs. However, carrying the government mail to the towns up and down the valley was a job that did pay cash. Henry was fortunate to get this mail contract and with the aid of his sons, served the people faithfully all the rest of his active years in this position. He also worked a small farm. He was lovingly called “Uncle Henry” by all his acquaintances in Sanpete Valley. By this time, the U.S. Government was trying to stop the practice of polygamy in Utah. Henry had six wives. Like many others, rather than abandon them, he served a short time in the Utah State penitentiary for having more than one wife. He died at the age of seventy-seven, 20 February, 1902 in Fairview. Those descendants who remember him say, he was considered one of the faithful servants of His church, and was good to his family. He was honored and respected by his numerous posterity, which by 1979 was estimated as over 2,000.
Mar 24, 2007 · posted to the surname Mower
Paul Brown Life and Testimony of Susan Strong Mower Susan Strong was born 3 May 1825 in Strongtown, Pennsylvania, the first child of Jacob Strong and Sarah Hill. She had two sisters and four brothers. Susan was a bright, happy child, quick to take responsibility in the home. She received the same amount of education offered other children during this period of time. The Strong’s were good, hardworking, honest people. Religion played a great part in their lives. They were members of the Lutheran Church in Strongtown. The truthfulness of their beliefs were challenged, however, when they heard Erastus Snow, then a serious young missionary of 18 years of age, explain the restored gospel to them with such powerful conviction that they were converted to this new religion. Elder Snow baptized the Strong family on 20 October 1836. From that time on, their testimonies never wavered, even though they endured untold hardships and persecutions. Susan was eleven years of age at the time, and fully realized the change in their lives. On 24 September, 1839, Susan with her parents, brothers, and sisters, left their home and native state, bidding goodbye to their many relatives and friends. They journeyed westward to join the Saints in the state of Illinois. They arrived there on 18 March, 1840. Susan was a young lady of fifteen when they moved. For a very short time, after gathering at Nauvoo, the Saints enjoyed a period of peace. In the Relief Society handbook published in 1931, both Sarah Strong and her daughter, Susan, are listed as members of the Nauvoo Relief Society, which was organized 17 March, 1842. When of marriageable age, Susan was courted by a fine young man by the name of Henry Mower Jr. He and his family were also converts to the Church. This young couple were married 11 December 1845 when she was 20 years of age and he was 21. The temple which was started in 1841, had been rushed to completion so the sacred ordinances for which it was built could be accomplished. On 3 February 1846, Henry and Susan were able to receive their individual endowments in the Nauvoo Temple. Soon after this, the great move started from their beautiful city of Nauvoo. The Saints took what little they could with them and crossed the ice clogged Mississippi River into Iowa where the homeless refugees gathered in temporary camps. One such camp was Kanesville in Pottawatomie County (now known as Council Bluffs. It was here that Susan and Henry spent the next two years. On 24 September, 1846, Susan gave birth to her first child, William Henry. The conditions under which this baby was born was deplorable and the little thing died the next day. By the time the second son, John Albert was born, things were some better, and he lived. The Saints were now preparing outfits and foodstuff to make the long trek across the plains to the Valley of the mountains. Records show that Henry and Susan with their one year old son, John Albert, accompanied by her parents and other family members, were assigned to travel in Silas Richard’s Company. This was a very large group which left Kanesville on 10 July 1849, arriving in the Salt Lake Valley on 12 October, 1849. En route they endured all the hardships of the trek: sore feet, scanty rations, hot sunshine, wind, rain, and severe snow storms. Cattle also stampeded which caused considerable damage. They were always on the alert for the roving Indians. Upon arriving in the valley, they drove immediately to Pioneer Square which was the stopping place for the Saints at that time. The houses of the fort furnished a first home for many new arrivals. This was where Henry and Susan spent the first winter. As soon as they were able, they moved out into the city. Her family lived in Tenth Ward and perhaps this is the area where they also settled. Henry managed a hotel for awhile and sold provisions to the gold seekers who passed through the valley. It has been stated by close descendants that Henry lived in Union Fort and operated a store there. Even though Susan’s health was not good, she was overjoyed when she presented her husband with a baby daughter on 10 October, 1851. They called this precious gift, Sarah Elizabeth. This is our ancestor. In 1854, the family moved to Springville where Henry’s father and family were living. However, they didn’t stay there too long before they went back to Salt Lake County making their home again in Union Fort. Susan’s health grew steadily worse and 17 July 1856, she passed away at the home of her long time friend, Keziah Frances Brady Richards, wife of Silas Richards. Susan was only 41 years of age, and her remains were taken to the Salt Lake City Cemetery for interment. Sarah Elizabeth, our ancestor, who was only five years old, was taken into the home of her maternal grandparents, where she lived until she grew up and married. Sarah became the wife of Joseph Bonaparte Alvord on 15 November, 1880. Even though Susan didn’t live to have a large family, she did have a nice posterity. A descendant collected information on all the descendants of Susan Strong Mower and she had family group sheets which totaled over 1700 descendants by 1980. This same descendants writes, “We are all proud to honor the name of our faithful pioneer ancestor and are grateful for all she went through to make the way for us into this land of plenty.” All of us should be grateful for her and her family’s courage to accept the gospel, and to endure all the sorrows and trials which came with living its principles. Their lives should remain as powerful testimonies to us all.
Mar 24, 2007 · posted to the surname Mower
Paul Brown Grandpa George Virgin had passed away in England after being baptized into the Latter-day Saints Church, leaving Grandma Virgin (Mary Ann Barker Virgin born 25 Jul 1831) with three small children. She and the children left England, crossed the ocean, and the plains in the early 1860’s, and They arrived in Salt Lake Valley October 19 1862. They lived in Grantsville, Utah. Two years later they moved to St. Charles, Idaho, in Bear Lake Valley to make their home in October 1864. There are some things, which stand out in my memory of the times I used to stay with her after my brother Charles (Nephi Charles Virgin born 5 Jan 1878) got married, Charles lived with her until he was married, my brother Lee (Lehi Sidney Virgin born 16 Aug 1887) was her favorite grandson and my sister Eva (Eva Honora Virgin born 11 Nov 1893) was her favorite granddaughter. But Eva didn’t like to stay with her every night so one of the others had to stay with her. She had a bolster for the head of her bed, filled with feathers or something solid to keep the bedspread straight and looking good on the bed. A woven carpet on the floor which was taken up each Fall thoroughly cleaned, fresh straw put on the floor then the job of stretching the carpet tight so it would reach from wall to wall and tacked down with tacks (carpet tacks) and it was good until the Fall cleaning time again. How I loved to lie on the newly stretched and clean carpet and listen to the ticking of the large clock on the wall and the swinging of the pendulum to and fro as it ticked off the minutes, then the striking of the hours. Grandma had two brass buckets, one a little larger than the other. They would get stained either from water of just general use. She would mix some vinegar with a little salt in it polish them with a cloth, then rub them to a shine, I would help her they would stay shiny for a long time after such a cleaning. There was a row of cottonwood trees along the sidewalk just outside the south fence; Grandma would gather leaves from these trees, boil them in water, drain off the water then put material in she wanted dyed and they came out the prettiest, brightest yellow one could ask for; To set the color so it was permanent she took the wood ashes from the stove, stood them in water over night, drain the water and the color was set, or Permanente so it wouldn’t fade. A small patch of thimbleberries grew just west of her house, she called them that, they were small replicas of raspberries, but the taste was like nothing I have never tasted since. A most delicious taste which when made into jam couldn’t be excelled anywhere. When we were small she wouldn’t’ allow us kids in the patch for fear of breaking the tender twigs, as we grew older we helped her pick them. How delicious they were in tarts, which she used to make often. I have never tasted any thimbleberries since leaving St. Charles. Uncle Amos (Amos Moses Virgin born 23 Jan 1854), Fathers older brother had moved to the snake river valley early in the 1900’s, they liked the country so well that Father and Mother (Nephi Charles Virgin, and Cecily Hibbert) took a trip up to see if they would like it. They did, and in the Fall Father returned to Salem to buy a place so we could move in the spring. He put $500.00 Dollars down payment on a place in North Salem which was covered with snow at the time, when the spring thaw came, my brother Jay (Jehu George Thompston Virgin born 3 Apr 1886) found that it was just a swale, no good for farming. Mr. Larsen, that Father was buying it from refused to refund the down payment although he knew he was wrong in selling the land for farming, so father just lost the $500.00. Father then purchased 40 acres south of Sugar City, all good land, 20 acres up near the canal and 20 acres a little southeast of it facing the east west road, “Moody Road” Then Father sold our property in St. Charles. Charles my oldest brother, sold his, and Grandmother Virgin sold hers, and we all moved to Sugar-Salem vicinity in the Snake River Valley. The land was good for raising any farm products. We left St. Charles 5 April 1907. A railroad boxcar was hired at Montpelier, the nearest R. R. and household furniture, and goods, horse and cows were loaded and we left Montpelier April 6th, my 16th birthday. When the people of St. Charles found we were moving they gave us a big sendoff, a big banquet in the Church, the only hall large enough, a band concert across the street from our place, and all said we would be missed and didn’t like to see us go, we disliked going as much as they did, but we know it was for the best. We didn’t know any up there, only Uncle Amos’s family and they belonged to the Salem Ward, and we were in the Sugar City ward. Brothers Jay and Lee had been up there before to help Uncle Amos as he had no sons, his oldest son died in 1903, a young son was 4 years old at the time, so help was needed badly with the ranch work; so our boys knew a few young people in Salem. However it didn’t take long to get acquainted by going to Church and taking part. Father was a friendly disposition and became active in the affairs of the ward, there were some lonely evenings, but we would gather around the organ many times, and I would play songs we knew, and it wasn’t so bad after all. Jay was about 21 and Lee close to 20 so their interest were mostly elsewhere. George was the older brother and Harold the young brother. Sugar beets were raised on part of the land, grain and alfalfa on other parts and always a garden for vegetables. Grandma used to make English pillow lace before we moved to the Snake River Valley in 1907. It was beautiful, she made her own patterns and would sell it for as much as $45.00 dollars a yard depending on the width of the lace which could be ten or twelve inches wide, there could be insertion to match. This lace was made on a square pillow she had stuffed real full; the pattern she had made was pinned at the four corners onto the pillow. Punching pins through rather heavy paper in the designs she wanted to make made the patterns. There were many beads and rings. She had dozens of bobbins made of bone about five inches long, about three eights of an inch thick, near one end was a place grooved out to hold thread, size sixty or a hundred, and near the other end of the bobbin a hole to guide the thread. There was a small wire ring attached to the opposite end where the thread was as a little weight to hold them in place better, then she would throw one over another close to where she was working and secure each thread in place with pins and work the pattern. That way all the way until she had the desired length. She made narrow lace the same way, which was much cheaper. She tried to teach us how to make the lace, but kids like us weren’t interested. (Why can’t children have a little more sense?) She and her sisters learned this art in England while they were quite young. The young girls there had taskmasters and had a quota to meet, if they did not they received severe punishment; but we kids weren’t interested. However I prize highly some small pieces of her lace and keep them to remind me of what I could have learned. Grandma always had a place for everything, and everything should be in its place, she stressed so much, that “I like to have things be in the same place so I can find them in the dark if I have to.” One thing I used to enjoy at her place was the Chamomile tea she used to make. This herb grew profusely around our homes in St Charles. We gathered it and it could be used green or dried; that with bread and butter, tea sweetened and some cream added made a delicious meal. One thing that always bothered me and the others who stayed with her nights was sometimes she asked what we would do if she should die in the night, this wasn’t very good for
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Virgin
Paul Brown Mercy Truth Barker Keetch Mercy Truth Barker Keetch was born Feb. 21, 1835 in Marston, Bedfordshire, England, a daughter of Thomas Barker and Elizabeth Thompson Barker. Her parents owned a home with a nice garden and play yard. The father was a farmer. There was no machinery so the grain was sown or planted by hand and cut with sickles. Grass and clover were cut with scythes. He also made baskets of many kinds and matting such as people used to kneel on when worshipping in the church pews. In 1852 Mercy Truth went to live with Elizabeth Wiggins, a daughter of her mother's brother, John Thompson. Here she studied millinery and lace making. Mercy Truth returned to Marston in 1853 and stayed with her sister, Mary Ann Virgin. It was here that she first heard of the new religion. Other members of her family went with her and all were soon converted. After joining the L.D.S. Church they had many trials; the inability to get a place to live, and employment due to the feeling prevailing against the Mormons. Neighbors made fun of them because their God didn't provide for them and the elders "ate them out of house and home." This made them feel very sad. Mercy Truth says, "We used to darken the windows at night so they could not see the light when we worked late. When we would be cooking dinner we used to hang the kettle over the fire. It would boil hard but cooked us no dinner. We sold furniture and would buy what we needed most." The training in millinery and lace making proved very useful to Mercy Truth during these hard times, making it possible for her to earn money. She left England from Liverpool May 8, 1860. Charles W. Penrose helped her onto the boat and gave her a blessing. Mercy Truth says, "We had some bad storms but I was not afraid. I loved to watch the mountains of water. They looked like they touched the skies. We, in a low valley, Oh, how nice those mountains of white and blue water looked! It seemed they would meet at the tops and shut out the little piece of blue sky there was overhead. Then the ship would mount us on one of those large mountain waves and we could look down into the valley of water." Smallpox occurred on the boat and though there were no additional cases, they were quarantined for a time after the voyage was completed and all had to be vaccinated. She landed in New York and traveled on to Florence, Nebraska. Here she joined Charles G. Keetch, whom she had known in England. They were married Dec. 1860. After their marriage they saved and planned so were able to leave for Utah the next summer. Charles drove a wagon and Mercy cooked for five men for passage. The journey was hard, as she was soon to become a mother. After they left Florence, as they were traveling along, they had to go down hill and the grandfather said, "Oh, the "hey" has come out of the bow of the yoke." Mercy said, "Take a rock and pound it in good and it will hold," and it did, even in spite of the heavy weight. Her first child, a boy, was born Sept. 12, 1861 near Green River several days out of Salt Lake City. To make matters worse they came to a prairie fire and had to pass through it. Charles took a quilt, fastened it over the front of the wagon, then drove through the fire as fast as possible. They could see the blaze through the cover. Mercy hung onto the baby with one arm and the wagon bow with the other. The rough roads and travel were too much for her and when two days out of Salt Lake City she took a serious set back. She and the baby were put into a light buggy that had come out to meet the company. They arrived in the valley Sept. 23, 1861. After a short time they moved to Grantsville, where they lived until 1864. At first they lived in part of the tithing office but later rented a little log room. After about a year, they rented a room with large windows, a nice porch, a good well and a little shanty. They had a box about a yard and a quarter long to sit on and a trunk for a table; also two quilts, 4 plates, 6 cups and saucers and one heavy plate; 6 knives and forks. During 1863 Charles G. worked for a man named Woolley who paid him in trade with 4 straight chairs and a rocking chair. They were both so pleased when he brought the chairs they could not thank him enough. In the spring of 1864 Charles G. hauled wood from the canyon and earned money to buy a good second-hand wagon. In the fall the family left Grantsville and moved to St. Charles, Idaho. They stayed with friends until they could get a room built. The work was slow, as the weather was cold. When they cut up the willows they picked out all the small dry pieces to make a light at night. They ate before it was dark. Then they opened the stove door and drew out the hearth to make a little fire on the ashes. There was no mill to grind their wheat so they ground it in a coffee mill. Pancakes were made from it, stirred with snow water, as they had no milk that first winter. The next summer Charles built on a kitchen put a chimney in the front room so they could have a fire on the hearth. He also built a frame for a porch and put willows overhead. Mercy brought some currant seeds from Grantsville, which were planted. In 1870 this couple went to Salt Lake to the Endowment House and were sealed to each other. They were the parents of eight children. She died Mar. 10, 1910 at St. Charles, Idaho—Mercy Nelson Boyer Email me at and I will send you the complete (36 page) autobiography of Mercy Truth Barker.
Feb 24, 2003 · posted to the surname Barker
Paul Brown Life and Testimony of Sarah Francis Virgin Shirley Sarah was born July 22, 1876, in St. Charles, on the beautiful Bear Lake, Idaho. She was the oldest child of ten children. By the time she started school in 1886, her parents had already taught her to read, write, add, subtract and divide. Sarah appears to always have been a student of the gospel. She was made a Sunday school teacher before she was sixteen years old. She loved to sing, and sang in the ward choir. She also sang solos and duets with others. She loved the social life around Bear Lake too, which was exciting and eventful. They had political rallies, boat rides and dances. It was at a square dance in Fish Haven that Sarah met James Shirley. They were married about two years later in the Logan Temple. Just after she was married, the sealer told them, “If ten devils have been after you before, one hundred will be after you from today, after you have made covenants.” The very next day, as they were traveling home, they stopped at a spring in Logan Canyon for a drink. James had made his team secure by putting on the brake and fastening the lines well. But before he could get a drink from the spring, Sarah heard the team start to move up the canyon. James ran over and caught the mare by the bit and called, “Whoa.” But she gave a lunge forward and threw the lines lengthwise on the ground. Then the horses jumped into a run. As the wheels passed by, they threw dirt into James’ face. He ran after the team as fast as he could. They turned around a high ledge where the rock had been blasted out to make a road along Logan River Bank. Soon he came to his team tied to quaking aspen. Two men were going down the canyon with a broken wagon wheel and when James’ team saw them, they turned off through the quaking aspen. The trees flipped up in back of the wagon. The men caught and tied the horses up. There was no damage to the wagon or its contents. Sarah and her mother-in-law who was with them caught up, and got into the wagon. They continued their journey, and soon came up over the divide on a very dim road. As they started down the mountain they saw some sage hens off to the left. James put on the brake and gave Sarah the reins. He went to the back of the wagon and took out a shotgun and followed the birds a ways. As he came back and put the gun under the wagon cover and got into the wagon, Fan again acted like she was possessed and both were ready to run again. They traveled down the road a short ways, then both horses started running. James soon found a place to turn them to the left and up a slight incline where he stopped them. When he got out to look things over he found a bolt had fallen out and let down the brake. So he wound it up and they went down safely. They then went on to their new home. What a honeymoon! In October, 1898, Sarah and James, with a young son, and a sister and her husband, moved to Salem, Idaho. They camped overnight several times on the way, “arriving all well, only much tired out with the long, cold journey. It had rained on us nearly all day Sunday. That night the wagon covers had leaked; our bedding was wet; we couldn’t find any water that would be good for use; and having no way to light a fire, ate a cold bite and went to bed on top of our load. When morning came every thing was frozen and the ground covered with snow. When we reached our destination we found the place still occupied by the folks whom we bought the property from, so we had to help move them.” But undaunted, they moved into a two room log cabin with a dirt roof. Sarah and James lived in the East Room and her sister and brother-in-law lived in the West Room. There was much to be done. The men soon busied themselves with repairing sheds and building fences while Sarah and her sister settled down to raising children and house keeping. Of their first winter in Idaho, Sarah wrote, “We stayed at home most of the winter, not having any sleigh to use. All were blessed with good health. It was a very cold winter and spring. The snow went early in April and the planting season began.” In August, they were pleased that Sarah’s parents and their eight children also moved to Salem, where they bought a big farm on the West side of them. The family was all together again. They became active in the Salem ward. Sarah say she and her mother went around the 640 acre section where folks lived as visiting teachers. She also served as a Bee Hive advisor. Later she was the first Gleaner teacher in Salem Ward for a number of years. She was a Sunday School teacher for a long while. Finally, she taught Relief Society theology lessons for thirty years, from 1926 to 1956. She was rather tall in stature, and wore her hair drawn back in a neat knob at the top of her head. She was blessed with a strong and vigorous constitution, which helped her to endure the discomforts and privations of early pioneer life, such as having no running water in the house, no electricity and no inside plumbing. She had a favorite saying which was, “Every back is made for the burden.” And, she would bear heavy burdens in her life. Sarah loved music and often sang around the house, music she had learned singing with her father and sisters around an old, upright organ. Among her favorites were “What Shall the Harvest Be,” and one about the Israelites crossing the Red Sea, with a chorus which went, “Sound the Loud Timbrel o’er Egypt’s Dark Sea. Jehovah hath triumphed, His people are Free.” She also sang in the ward choir and for old folks parties. Myrtle, the oldest girl, remembers that Sarah was full of love and concern for her family. There was nothing she wouldn’t do for her children, if she could do it. Sarah made clothes and knitted the family’s stockings and mittens. When winter came and the windows were all frosted over and some one got the croup, she would prepare a mustard plaster with an aromatic camphor, mixed with lard and mustard. Then she would wrap a hot iron with cloth and put it in the bed to keep the patient’s feet warm. This proved to be a sure cure for the worst case of croup. In 1918 a world wide flu broke out. It was severe and throughout the world, millions of lives were lost. Not many families in Salem escaped this deadly disease. It seemed everyone in the Salem Ward were sick at the same time. The Shirley family was hit very hard. Sarah worked through many long days and nights of hard and constant care, administering hot and cold packs to reduce the high fevers. She was pregnant with Ada. For a time Sarah herself became bedfast with others, all near death for days. Sarah had a very high fever, and they feared for her baby. There had been reports of how dangerous the flu was for unborn babies. Doctors couldn’t begin to get around to help all those in need. But they were blessed to have help from neighbors who brought food. And particularly, through the faith of James, who used administrations and prayers, their lives were spared. Only one child, the youngest, Rodney, did not get the flu. He became known as “the little scout.” He would sit on the back porch patiently waiting for a pot or chamber to be emptied, then he went from room to room to empty the wash basins and the potties. On April 21, in the midst of this, Ada was safely born. A neighbor who lived down the street, was brave enough to come to help. Sarah worked hard, as all farmer’s wives did. Threshing time was particularly memorable. The women joined together to prepare food for the huge threshing crews. They borrowed dishes and utensils so they would have enough to feed everybody. When threshing was over, she would exchange the old straw in the mattresses for new straw. First she washed the mattresses, then filled them with clean, dry straw. They were fat and hard at first, but in time they became softer and comfortable to snuggle down into during the cold winter nights. The girls were given inside chores as they grew older, such as helping churn the cream, and ironing with heavy irons that were heated on the kitchen stove. Sarah had a sewing machine, which she operated with her feet and hands, and made the children’s clothes. Myrtle came to know that when she went to town and came home with a big roll of outing flannel, that in the near future, a new baby would arrive at the home. Because of James’ terrible hay fever, he eventually began searching for other kinds of work to do, letting his older sons handle the farm. The two oldest children married and were living in Utah. James went to Utah in January 1924 to help on a fruit farm owned by a relative, and to help them remodel their house. He often visited his married children living there. In April, Sarah went to visit him with her youngest. He took the day off and they had a wonderful time together. But Sarah said later, that after she had said goodbye to James, to return home, a feeling of sadness came over her and she cried and cried. In July, James was found to have a ruptured appendix. Sarah was notified and went to Utah. He promised her that as soon as he got well, they would go on a long trip together. But instead, he died. Through the help of her sons and other Utah relatives, all the necessary arrangements were made. Sarah and other family members, and also James’ body, went back to Salem by train. Sarah was tired and exhausted from the pain and anguish she had been through. She struggled to smother her emotions and hold back her tears. At home, she was soon surrounded by her children, who tried very hard to buoy her up and comfort her. She also had her parents, and other relatives nearby, and friends who came to show their love and support. But all the family acknowledges that the years following James’ death were all long, lonesome, and terribly hard for Sarah. Children who slept with her remember her silent sobs in the middle of the night. It was most sad when she had to leave home to work, sorting seeds in a seed house, leaving the children to manage the work at home and on the farm. The children did everything they could to support her financially and emotionally. One son noticed the very badly worn shoes of his siblings. He was working at the sugar factory at the time. He bought a shoe last and other equipment and set up a shoe repair shop at home. When the belts at the sugar factory wore out, he would bring home the good part and sole shoes with it, including any needy neighbors‘shoes. The children kept growing. One by one they graduated from high school, many of them with honors. Two sons went on missions, and others as young women and men got enough education to start teaching school to help out financially. Other sisters went directly to work in stores, etc. All did what they could to help their mother and each other. And, of course, one by one, they began to marry. Eventually, all who were still around took on the project of building a new house. Some say it was the girls’ embarrassment about their green house when boyfriends came that caused them to take on such a project. But everyone worked hard to raise and save money for it. Those who helped raise sugar beets suddenly had new motivation to raise a good crop. One daughter says “I know Hazel and I spent all summer weeding and hoeing those beets and maybe even talking to them, because they grew into the biggest and best we had ever grown.” Other siblings, who had jobs, saved their money to buy paint and other materials. The brothers tore down the old house so they could use its materials. They dug the footings for the foundation, even though the ground was frozen at the time. They had finished the framing and plastering late in the fall. The project was possible because Fred, the oldest, had learned the construction trade when in Utah. He designed the house for them in the latest styles used in Salt Lake City, and guided the work. So when the house was finally finished, they had special features that were the first to be introduced into the Rexburg area. They were all very proud of their new home and of the fact that they had built it themselves and together! And great was the day when the Electric Power Company finally brought power lines into Salem. Before that, the older children got up early Monday mornings and each one turned the old washing machine, by hand, for a few timed minutes. By this method, a few washersfull of clothes were done before the school van arrived. Over time, electric lights replaced the kerosene lamps, an electric iron replaced the heavy flat iron, and an electric washing machine replaced the wash board and the hand washer. Sarah and James raised a really wonderful, strong family of their own. In fact, she was once chosen “Mother of the Year” in her area of Idaho. On top of Sarah’s own family duties, she performed as a midwife and gave help to others in sickness. She later brought into her home for a time many sweet little orphans, three of them her sister’s children, and later five of her own grandchildren. She attended and cared for the aged. She had several incidents in her life when she felt her life had been preserved. In later years, her life was less laborious, and she was blessed to go with many of her married children on traveling expeditions throughout the Western states. Finally, she left a legacy as a strong teacher of religion. She and James had many religious books in their home. She loved to read. She had a remarkable memory and this helped her gain a knowledge of the gospel. She was quick to defend the truth at all times, even when there was opposition. She became known throughout her area for her gospel teaching ability in Relief Society and Sunday School classes. Throughout her life, by teaching and by example, she taught the principles of prayer, fasting, tithe-paying, church service and participation. In recording her own life, she expressed her thankfulness for her children and grandchildren who had served missions, been married in the temple, and were faithful to priesthood callings. She prayed her later descendants would follow that example, and that after they were married in the temple, they would keep their sacred covenants and would always be virtuous and true. Sarah Frances Virgin Shirley died December 15, 1968, at the age of ninety-two. All her descendants greatly honor her.
Mar 24, 2007 · posted to the surname Shirley
Paul Brown Life and Testimony of Mary Ann Barker Virgin Mary Ann Barker was born 25 July 1831, in Marsten Moretain, Bedfordshire, England. She later liked to tell people she was born one year after the church was organized. She married George Thompston Virgin, 19 September 1852. He worked in another church in England, but accepted the gospel. He encouraged Mary Ann to go hear the elders. While she was satisfied with her religion, there were some questions she had unanswered. He promised her they would be answered. She and her sister Mercy fasted and prayed before going to hear the elders. The speaker had prepared a speech, but said, “I can’t keep to my subject.” Mary looked at Mercy, and Mercy looked at her. They decided to pray again silently, and he began to talk on the subject they had been praying about, and explained the subject to their great satisfaction. He and his companion also explained other scriptures which the sisters’ ministers could not explain. They accepted the gospel, and soon faced severe persecution. They found they had to walk in the middle of the streets because the contents of vessels from above were poured out on them if they walked along the sidewalks. Also, her husband was discharged from his work at the church. Then, Mary Ann’s husband was eventually killed when a train without lights or a signal backed over him in a darkened tunnel. The family always felt this was not accidental. Mary had born three sons, though one son had died, and then a baby girl was born shortly after her husband was killed. The minister of her former church tried to get Mary Ann to come back to church and sing in the choir. He promised to see to it, “I got help to educate my children, and also he would see that I got a dress for a year or two.” Instead, in May 1862, the widowed Mary Ann, her two sons and her infant daughter, Mercy, took passage on the ship “William Tapscott, and sailed from Liverpool for America. Francis R. Lyman and other leaders were on the ship with 378 other Saints. They arrived safely, The Saints all traveled together as far as the Missouri River. There, Mary Ann prepared to cross the plains in the Company of Horton Hiatt. Amos Moses walked and helped prod the oxen. When they reached the Wyoming/Utah line, a fever struck the company. Mary Ann became so ill she could not care for her baby. There was a young man in the company named Ephraim Barton, who took care of the baby for her. Mr. Barton and the baby both took the fever and died the same day, and were buried in the same grave 6 October 1862. The company arrived in Salt Lake City 19 October 1862. Mary Ann and her two sons went to Tooele, Utah, to where her sister, Mary Keetch had immigrated. They stayed there with her sister about two years, then moved to St. Charles, Bear Lake, Idaho. Eventually, she acquired ¼ of a city block, about 2 ½ acres, where she lived in a neat two-room house. At first she had a dirt roof, but later it was replaced with lumber. Her house had a good red pine floor, which she kept scrubbed clean and smooth. The rooms were good sized, with an upstairs. She also owned a piece of meadow land in the “bend of Big Creek.” Amos aided his mother by fishing and trapping. After he grew up and married, he and his wife lived with his mother until his first daughter, Sarah Frances was born. They moved into their own house the next year Mary Ann had a good voice, as did Amos Moses. She was also very fond of flowers, especially nasturtiums and asters. She eventually moved to Sugar City, Idaho, with many of the rest of her family. Sarah remembers as a child hearing her Grandmother Mary Ann, Mercy and her family, and Sarah’s father, Amos, singing Christmas carols, They also sang with gusto English songs such as “Brittania, Brittania rules the waves, Brittains will never be slaves.” Mary Ann made yards of beautiful lace, which she sold to sustain herself. She made it from English linen thread. Her great granddaughter, Jennette, and others could remember vividly the pillow lace she had spent so many years making and selling. Some of it was purchased by the Queen of England. The pieces of lace which has been inherited by her descendants is greatly treasured. Jennette also remembers visiting her great grandmother Virgin. She was always there reading her scriptures. She used them as she taught Sunday School. As Sarah Shirley said, “Grandmother wasn’t rich, only in the reading and study of the scriptures and the church works. She had Parley P. Pratt and Orsen Pratt’s books, Voice of Warning, etc. She could quote Isaiah and other prophets. It was hard to get away from her, she was so anxious to tell us grandchildren about what was coming in the last days. Mary Ann she lived in a small home behind her grandson, Charles, until she died in Salem, Idaho, January 14, 1922. She left a great heritage of faith and courage to all her descendants.
Mar 24, 2007 · posted to the surname Virgin
View all Paul's posts...