Patrick Best

Families researching: Atkinson, Barker, Best, Howard, Howse

Recent Activity

to leave a message for Patrick Best

Patrick's Biographies

Patrick hasn't created any biographies yet.

Patrick's Comments

Patrick Best Joseph Charles Best was from a large family whose father John Best and his wife Mary Collins, immigrated from Ireland. Joseph and Carlina Best were married on September 29, 1897 at Eldorado, Ontario with Reverend H. B. Rowe officiating. Joseph went out west in the spring of 1898 and stayed with his brother Jack, who settled in the north of Glen Ewen, Saskatchewan. Carolina followed her husband after the birth of Arthur Alexander Best, who was born on August 16, 1898. It was a long trip on a mixed train with a small baby but people were very kind and they finally reached Winnipeg, Manitoba where they were housed in the old Immigration Hall until they could board a train for the west. They had to go to Oxbow as the train didn't stop at Glen Ewen at that time. Joe Best picked up his family and took them to the Jack Best homestead where they lived for some time in a sod house. Joseph Best homesteaded in 1898 on NE 10-4-34 W1, nine miles northeast of Glen Ewen. He remained there until 1906 when they moved to Glen Ewen to live in a house how occupied by Mr and Mrs Bert Ryckman. Then he purchased the house which was part of the old school across from the present school. He worked had to get a new school built. Their house was located on Lot 3, Block 9, Sub. B1764. Later he sold parts of this large lot. They lived there until 1914. Joe ran a feed store in the village, then deciding to return to his former occupation they moved back to the homestead and lived there until 1918. Then he purchased a farm two and one half miles north of Glen Ewen, part of 28-4-34 W1, where he remained until his death on January 17, 1931. While on the farm, both on the homestead and the second farm, Joe had a blacksmith shop; he sharpened plow shoes and shod horses. He was frequently called upon to doctor horses and cows as there were no veterinarian. The rest of Joe Best's family was born in the Glen Ewen district. They were Gladys Mary, Charles Joseph, John Cecil, Wesley Robert and Wilbert, who died in infancy in 1910. The following insert was taken from the Ontario Ghost Towns Web site: ELDORADO, ONTARIO Nothing much is left of Eldorado now, but in 1866 the story was quite different. When rumors of great gold discoveries such as "Gold the size of butternuts" began to surface in the town, not surprisingly, grew from nothing to some 80 buildings almost over night. Prospectors and speculators arrived by the multitudes to have their pickings of the rumored riches. Although small amounts of gold actually did exist in Eldorado, the majority of claims were either salted, fraudulent, or at the best, wildly exaggerated. By the 1870's the mines were drying up and the party was over. Almost everyone left. Eldorado, however, didn't die easily. For a time, the Central Ontario Railway operated a small terminus to service the farm community and a few modest industries continued to maintain operations. Today, Eldorado is almost deserted with some two dozen buildings left, the majority of which are up for sale. The red stop signs are faded to almost white. Its once numerous streets reduced to small backwoods trails. A cheese factory, selling Eldorado Gold Cheese, is still open as is the combination gas station/general store, their survival undoubtedly due more to the busy traffic zipping along on Highway 62 than the sustained patronage of the few diehard residents. An historical plague alongside the highway tells the story of Eldorado and the famous Hastings gold rush of the 1860's. G E N E A L O G Y & H I S T O R Y B O O K S Eldorado: Ontario's First Gold Rush by Gerald Boyce. Where did Ontario's first gold rush take place? Not, as you might think, in the Kirkland Lake or Timmins area of northern Ontario, but in the Madoc-Eldorado area of Hastings County, less than an hour's drive from busy Highway 401. The discovery was made in August 1886. Thousands of miners and speculators soon arrived from B.C., California and elsewhere. They included "Cariboo" Cameron of British Columbia Mining fame. This book explores the events of the Madoc Gold Rush and explains some of it's touching, humorous and tragic moments. Gerry Boyce is one of eastern Ontario's best known historians. His contribution to regional history have been recognized by the Cdn. Historical Association and the Ontario Historical Society. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hastings County includes the following townships: Sydney, Thurlow, Tyendenaga, Hungerford, Huntingdon, Rawdon, Marmora, Madoc, Elzevir, Grimsthorpe, Tudor and Lake. 1866....Gold fever strikes Canada West ( Ontario ) with the discovery of gold at Eldorado in Hastings County. Thousands of miners and would be prospectors streamed into the area providing a boom to settlement in the northern portions of Hastings county along the Hastings Road (Highway 62). Source - book: ELDORADO: Ontario's First Gold Rush Mrs. Carolina Franks-Best stayed on the farm with her son Wesley Best and his wife, Lizzie Hill-Best until the spring of 1942 when she moved to her house in Glen Ewen. Here she resided until 1962 when she went to Winnipeg to make her home with her daughter, Gladys Best-Young. She was an active member of the United Church, United Church Women and the Ladies Orange Benevolent Association. She passed away at the home of her daughter in Winnipeg on November 16, 1965 on her 91st birthday.
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Franks
Patrick Best Thomas James Barker was the third son of Mr and Mrs Robert Barker. He was born in 1857 in Wellington County, Ontario. In 1882 he came west with his parents, brothers and sister to a farm west of Carnduff. Four years later, he went to Clearwater, Manitoba to claim his bride, Miss Alice Atkinson, who was born in Gray County, Ontario in 1965 and came west with her parents in 1879. Jim and Alice resided on a farm west of Carnduff, the John Thompson farm, where Mable and Percy were born. In 1897, he homesteaded NE 34-3-33 near the Antler River northeast of Glen Ewen in the Mount Pleasant district. A comfortable home was established despite the many hardships of the early years. In 1927 Jim and Alice Barker disposed of their farming interest and went to live with their daughter, Hazel. Alice Barker passed away in 1932 and is buried in Glen Ewen Cemetery with Reverend Hamilton officiating. Jim passed away in 1938 and is also buried at Glen Ewen with Reverend Brown officiating. Thomas James Barker passed away at the Union Hospital, Oxbow, Saskatchewan on Tuesday, January 4th, 1938 at the age of 80 years, 7 months and 23 days. The service was held in the United Church, Glen Ewen on Thursday, January 6th, 1938, at the hour of 2 P.M., interment following in the Glen Ewen cemetery. The following is the obituary of Thomas James Barker: Thomas James Barker, one of the district's early and respected pioneers, passed away at the Union Hospital, Oxbow on Tuesday of this week. Mr. Barker was in his 81 year and had been ailing for some past months. Two days prior to his death, he took quite ill and his sudden passing was unexpected by relatives and his many old acquaintances in the district. The deceased was born in Wellington County, Ontario, where he spent his boyhood days. In 1882 he came West and settled on a farm west of Carnduff, Saskatchewan. Four years later he went to Ontario and claimed his bride, Miss Alice Atkinson, returning to his humble home in the Carnduff district. In 1897, he homesteaded on the Antler, northeast of Glen Ewen, Saskatchewan, where a comfortable home was established despite the many hardships of the early days. He disposed of his interests in 1927, and since then has made his home with his daughter, Mrs. Walter Wood, north of Glen Ewen. A particularly sad part of his life was passing of his wife in August, 1932. The late Mr. Barker, was a man of many fine qualities. Amiable at all times, and having a very optimistic spirit, he made many friends who will regret the passing of another hardy old pioneer, who took his place and performed life's work in a manner which was commendable. He was of sterling worth, and his word was as good as his bond. In 1927, Jim and Alice Barker disposed of their farming interests and went to live with their daughter, Hazel. Alice Barker passed away in 1932 and Jim passed away in 1938. He leaves to mourn his loss five daughters, Mrs. Herb Atkinson, Mrs. Ken Dunn of Spruce Lake, Saskatchewan; Mrs. John Best of Melfort, Saskatchewan; Mrs. Joseph Hill and Mrs. Walter Wood of Glen Ewen, Saskatchewan and one son, Percy, residing at Carievale, Saskatchewan. He is also survived by 21 grandchildren, two sisters, Mrs. George Lawley of Vancouver, B.C. and Miss Alice Barker of the Maple Grove district, and two brothers, William Squire of Deloraine, Manitoba and Robert of Calgary, Alberta. The funeral is being held today (Thursday) from Glen Ewen United Church, officiated at by Reverend Mr. Brown. Interment will follow in the Glen Ewen cemetery, the pallbearers being Messrs, E. McIlmoyl, W. J. Dawson, George A. Bishop, L. E. Derrough, John Cooney and J. W. Hill.
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Barker
Patrick Best Ralph John Wesley wrote his autobiography which was started shortly before his death. He never finished his work but the last contribution the he made to this writing was regarding the death of his wife, "Ville" (Ruvilla) more than forty years before his own passing. Their family of five children was Ezra Lewis, James, Alice, Grace and Elsie. The first comers to the North Bend District were two men from the Kan as State of the United States. They came in a covered wagon, and decided to camp in the Greenstreet Hills for the winter. Their camp was on the south boundary of section (52-26-W3rd) and for a number of years, this camp location could still be found. This was the winter of deep snow, the winter of 1906-07. Towards spring they were running for some miles rolling and hilly so they stated west toward snowdrifts, it took them all day to make it to the lake and there they found Greenstreet and Jones had located on the east end of the lake. In the spring when the land was dry enough to travel, they moved north again and located on the bench land on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River. Their names were Frank and Ralph John Wesley Howard. After building their houses they sent for their families and their friends and after one or two years, there was quite a colony of American settlers. There was Ben Mudge and his wife; Frank Howard and his father and mother (Mr. Howard Sr. was a Civil War Veteran), Frank's brothers, Bert and his wife; Ralph and some years later, Floyd Howard came. W.W. Campbell and his wife, Ruby, who was a sister to Frank Howard; Bob and Ken Houghman; Porter Westgate; Mr and Mrs Sidwell Sr. and their family; Hackrot, who drove mules; Mr and Mrs Flanders and family, including Earl and Ray and Barney Shears. Soon the countryside filled up and all homesteads were taken. These included Mr and Mrs Jack Sparrow, Mrs Jacob Sr. with her family of Frank, George and Percy and a stepsister, Ms Grey. There was also Mr and Mrs Oliver and family of sons, David, Bob and Bill, as well as Mr and Mrs William Bright with their children Lloyd and Beverly. Additional families were Walter Wigg, Bill Moylan, Charlie Robertson and Bob, Colin Spence, Mr and Mrs Appleton and Bill, and Bill, Albert Marshall, wife and family; Ted Moore, Bill Hanlon; W. Tucker (hermit); Mr and Mrs Leer and family, including Bill Burke and his sister; Mrs Watts; Fred Richards; Mr and Mrs Meakin; Percy Ashley and his father and mother; Harry Mumford; Bernard Bullivant and Tom Benton. A year or two later others came. These were Bill Morris, John Naylor; Mr Kurjata, wife and family, Stan and George, Sidney Benham; Fred Isaac; Jack Homer and wife; George Fuhrman; George Helm; John Nelson; Gad Neale; John Isaac; the Hortons, father and mother and a big family; Fred Nelson (for whom Nelsons Lake was named); Goodward; and Jack Archibald, wife and family. A ferry went into operation in 1913 to connect North Bend to Frenchman Butte, across the river. Roy Sidwell was one of the first ferrymen and was the last ferryman to operate the ferry when it closed down. A community Hall was built in 1928 and it catered to all the surrounding districts for dances, sports and other meetings, sometimes weddings, sometimes funerals. The trading center and later the Post Office were located in Frenchman Butte, but grain was hauled to Lloydminster, until 1928 when the CNR line was built in Frenchman Butte. The first Christmas after Grandma Howard arrived, she and Aunt Ruby invited all the settlers in the "Bend" to come for dinner. They had a little tree decorated with homemade pretties and Ruby made individual sacks of homemade candy for each expected guest and three extras. Sure enough, just in time for dinner, along came three strangers, looking for homesteads. They were warmly welcomed and found not only a Christmas dinner and a Christmas Tree but also a personal gift waiting for them. Subsequently, they all took homesteads in the "Bend", proved them up and shortly after that obtained mortgages on the land, which they were never able to pay back, and lost their homesteads. This happened in quite a few cases. Then, as now debts were more easily contracted than cleared. Ralph brought his family out to the homestead for a few years, them moved to Lloydminster where he soon became known as an expert well driller. In those days when good water was not to be found, deep wells were the only answer. Ralph and his wife Ruvilla had eight children, one of whom died in early childhood. Then five or six years later, sorrow came to the family in the loss of Ruvilla, wife and mother. After the children were grown up, Ralph and his brother, Frank, who never married, farmed and batched together until 1954. When Frank went to Chetwynd, BC and joined his nephew Fernando Campbell in another stint of pioneering. While there, although well past 80 years old, he made a horseback trip up the Sukunka Valley and a trip with Fernando, and camp outfit truck, up the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse. Ralph passed away suddenly in 1955 at the age of 80.
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Howard
Patrick Best Robert Howse was also the great great grandson of Joseph Howse, the Fur Trader and guide for David Thompson in Canada. Robert Alexander Howse was born on July 12, 1879 at Popular Point, Manitoba and died on 17 October 1961 at Islay, Alberta. Robert or better yet, he was known as "Bob" was a wonderful and very respected man in his neighbourhood. When you spoke and mention "Bob", people knew just who you were referring to. He had a Scrip Application #899 at Touchwood Hills, Saskatchewan, Canada. 1858 Henry Youle Hind The Buffalo Hunt in the Assiniboine and Saskatchewan Territory *** ... The ranges of the buffalo in the north-western prairies are still maintained with great exactness, and old hunters, if the plains have not been burnt, can generally tell the direction in which herds will be found at certain seasons of the year. If the plains have been extensively burnt in the autumn, the search for the main herds during the following spring must depend on the course the fires have taken. Red River hunters recognized two grand divisions of buffalo, those of the Grand Coteau and Red River, and those of the Saskatchewan. Other ranges of immense herds exist beyond the Missouri towards the south, as far as Texas and Mexico. The north-western buffalo ranges are as follow. The bands belonging to the Red River Range winter on the Little Souris, and south- easterly towards and beyond Devil's Lake, and thence on to Red River and the Shayenne. Here too, they are found in the spring. Their course then lies west towards the Grand Coteau de Missouri, until the month of June, when they turn north, and revisit the Little Souris from the west winding round the west flank of Turtle Mountain to Devil's Lake, and by the main river (Red River), to the Shayenne again. In the memory of many Red River hunters, the buffalo were accustomed to visit the prairies of the Assiniboine as far north as Lake Manitoba, where in fact their skulls and bones are now to be seen; their skulls are also seen on the east side of the Red River of the north, in Minnesota, but the living animal is very rarely to be met with. A few years ago they were accustomed to pass on the east side of Turtle Mountain through the Blue Hills of the Souris, but of late years their wanderings in this direction have ceased; experience teaching them that their enemies, the half-breeds, have approached too near their haunts in that direction. The country about the west side of Turtle Mountain in June 1858 was scored with their tracks at one of the crossing places on the Little Souris, as if deep parallel ruts had been artificially cut down the hill-sides. These ruts, often one foot deep and sixteen inches broad, would converge from the prairie for many miles to a Favorite crossing or drinking place; and they are often seen in regions in which the buffalo is no longer a visitor. The great western herds winter between the south and north branches of the Saskatchewan, south of the Touchwood Hills, and beyond the north Saskatchewan in the valley of the Athabaska; they cross the South Branch in June and July, visit the prairies on the south side of the Touchwood Hill range, and cross the Qu'Appelle valley anywhere between the Elbow of the South Branch and a few miles west of Fort Ellice on the Assiniboine. They then strike for the Grand Coteau de Missouri, and their eastern flank often approaches the Red River herds coming north from the Grand Coteau. They then proceed across the Missouri up the Yellow Stone, and return to the Saskatchewan and Athabaska as winter approaches, by the flanks of the Rocky Mountains. We saw many small herds, belonging to the western bands, cross the Qu'Appelle valley, and proceed in single file towards the Grand Coteau in July 1858. The eastern bands, which we had expected to find on the Little Souris, were on the main river (Red River is so termed by the half-breeds hunting in this quarter). They had proceeded early thither, far to the south of their usual track, in consequence of the devastating fires which swept the plains from the Rocky Mountains to Red River in the autumn of 1857. We met bulls all moving south, when approaching Fort Ellice; they had come from their winter quarters near the Touchwood Hill range. As a general rule the Saskatchewan bands of buffalo go north during the autumn, and south during the summer. The Little Souris and main river bands, go north-west in summer and south-east in autumn. It is almost needless to remark again that fires interfere with this systematic migration, but there are no impediments which will divert the buffalo from their course. The half-breeds state that no slaughter by large parties of hunters or Indians can turn large herds from the general direction they have taken when on the march; want of food is alone able to make them deviate from the course they have taken. The approach of numerous herds can be recognized by a low rumbling sound they occasion, if the weather be calm, fully twenty miles before they arrive, this warning is best perceived by applying the ear to a badger hole. During the rutting season they can be heard bellowing for a great distance on a still night. When we arrived at the Sandy Hills on the South Branch, the Crees, on being asked if the buffalo were numerous near at hand, answered, 'listen to- night and you will hear them The summer and fall buffalo hunts are the grand events of the year to the Red River settlers, in fact the chief dependence for a livelihood of the greater part of the population. The start is usually made from the settlements about the 15th of June for the summer hunt, the hunters remaining in the prairie until the 20th August or 1st of September. One division (the White Horse Plain) goes by the Assiniboine River to the 'rapids crossing place,' and then proceed in a south-westerly direction. The other, or Red River division, pass on to Pembina, and then take a southerly direction. The two divisions sometimes meet, but not intentionally. Mr. Flett in 1849 took a census of the White Horse Plain division near the Chiefs' Mountain, not far from the Shayenne River, Dacotah Territory, and enumerated 603 carts, 700 half-breeds, 200 Indians, 600 horses, 200 oxen, 400 dogs and one cat. Mr. Ross* gives the following census of the number of carts assembled in camp for the buffalo hunt at five different periods:-- In 1820. Number of carts assembled for the first trip 540 In 1825 " " " 680 In 1830 " " " 820 In 1835 " " " 970 In 1840 " " " 1210 After the start from the settlement has been well made, and all stragglers or tardy hunters have arrived, a great council is held, and a president elected. A number of captains are nominated by the president and people jointly. The captains then proceed to appoint their own policemen, the number assigned to each not exceeding ten. Their duty is to see that the laws of the hunt are strictly carried out. In 1849, if a man ran a buffalo without permission before the general hunt began, his saddle and bridle were cut to pieces, for the first offence; for the second offence of the same description his clothes were cut off his back. At the present day these punishments are changed to a fine of twenty shillings for the first offence. No gun is permitted to be fired when in the buffalo country before the 'race' begins. A priest sometimes goes with the hunt, and mass is then celebrated in the open prairies. At night the carts are placed in the form of a circle with the horses and cattle inside the ring, and it is the duty of the captains and their policemen to see that this is rightly done. All camping orders are given by signal, a flag being carried by the guides, who are appointed by election. Each guide has his turn of one day, and no man can pass a guide on duty without subjecting himself to a fine of five shillings. No hunter can leave the camp to return home wi
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Howse
Patrick Best A TRIBUTE TO THE HOWSE FAMILY AND ITS DESCENDANTS Written by Patrick Best and Carol Vulliamy For those who look back through time and search the Canadian history books, the surname of Howse becomes evident. In Canadian history, it all started with Joseph Howse, who originated from Cirencester, England. He was from a family of seven or more children. Joseph was the only member of his family that travelled to Canada. He was one of the original, founding employee’s of the Hudson’s Bay Company. In 1795, he embarked on the ship, “King George” which was owned by the Hudson’s Bay Company. The ship set sail from Gravesend, England and two and one half months later, he disembarked at York Factory, Ruperts Land; the land that is now known, as the wonderful country of “Canada”. To this land and the Hudson’s Bay Company, he was loyal for the better part of twenty years before retiring back to his motherland of England. During the time that he was in Canada, he mapped out a great part of what is known as Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. Joseph worked with David Thompson as a guide, and in turn, David Thompson named a mountain, a pass and a river after Joseph Howse. These stand as great monuments for his hard work and dedication to this new country, which was filled with many adventures. To this day many of his descendants celebrate the life of Joseph Howse at the Victoria Settlement, Alberta and at Bowness Park in Calgary, Alberta. Like so many of his descendants, Joseph was a hard worker and a strong leader. Many of Joseph’s descendants also became pioneers of this frontier land, which he helped to develop. It is to people like this, that we give our utmost praise and glory to. If it were not for their hard work, perseverance and dedication to their families, the Howse family would not have survived to this very day. We, the writers of this dedication, are very proud to say that we are merely two of the many descendants of this courageous and adventuresome man. It is our desire to preserve as much of the Howse Ancestry as possible for the many Howse generations that are yet to come.
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Howse
Patrick Best Funeral Service was held in the United Church, Glen Ewen, on Sunday, August 28, 1932, at the hour of 3 P.M., interment following in the Glen Ewen cemetery. The following is the obituary of Alice Atkinson: There passed away on Friday, August 26, a respected pioneer, resident of the Glen Ewen district in the person of Mrs. Alice Jane Atkinson-Barker, beloved wife of Thomas James Barker, whose death took place at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Walter Wood, following a lengthy illness. Mrs. Barker was born in Halton County, Ontario, April 16, 1865. She came west with her parents in 1879, the family settling at Clearwater, Manitoba. In 1886 she moved to Coulter, Manitoba, where she met Mr. Barker and was happily married. Following their marriage, they moved to the Glen Ewen district, where the deceased resided up to the time of her death. The late Mrs. Barker was numbered among the estimable residents of the district. A lady of quiet, unassuming manner, of sterling worth and character-ever ready to help in time of need and distress, she made many friends who will deeply mourn her passing. Besides a sorrowing husband, she leaves to mourn her death five daughter, Mrs. Kenneth Dunn of Spruce Lake, Saskatchewan; Mrs. Joseph Hill, Mrs. Walter Wood, Mrs. John Best, Mrs. Herb Atkinson, all of Glen Ewen, Saskatchewan and one son, Percy of Carievale. She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Frank Elliott of Vancouver, B.C. One daughter, Mrs. Clara (Arthur) Best predeceased her in 1926. The funeral service was held from the Glen Ewen United Church on Sunday, August 28, Reverend J. Hamilton officiating. His message was one of comfort to the bereaved. Mr. Alex Paton sang very feelingly, "The Lord Is My Shepherd." Following the service, the remains were conveyed to the Glen Ewen cemetery where interment was made. The pallbearers, old friends of the deceased, were Messrs, E. McIlmoyl, J. W. Hill, W. J. Dawson, Chas Hull, J. H. Good and Alex Walker. Many floral tributes covered the casket, testifying to the esteem in which the departed one was held in the community.
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Atkinson
Patrick Best Jane Howse had a scrip application on May 21, 1885 in Calgary, Alberta. Jane Howse, wife of Samuel Livingston; #351; HB Head; address; Calgary; born at Red River Settlement, Manitoba; about 1847; Father, Henry Howse (HB); Mother, Jane Spence (HB). I have been a resident of the North West Territories since about the year 1863, the last 20 years and preceding years of Fort Victoria. Occupation: married woman; Married 1864 to Samuel Livingston; Children: 10 living: Jane 20, Helen 18 1/2, George 16, Hugh 14 1/2, John 12, Martha 10, William 7, Eliza 5, Marguerite 2, Marianna 3 months. All of my legitimate marriage; none deceased; Jane Howse [X]; 21 May 1885; English, Abraham Salois [X]; Charles Whitford [X]; $160.00 approved. C-14940 (ibid) This rest of the story is an insert from the book "Tell Me, Grandmother," as told by Dennis Dowler. The sqwack of a car horn broke the stillness of the hot summer afternoon. I jumped up in excitement, abandoned the weeding and ran to the fence. Trundling noisily down the road in front of the house was a motor car .... a Model T Ford built in 1908. My father called it a Tin Lizzie. Most families drove a horse and buggy, but some people had motors cars and they often drove past our place showing them off, tooting their horns and waving. Tin Lizzies could ride over the roughest roads and grind through mud better than a horse and buggy but they were a lot more noisy. Grandmother Jane, who had been sitting beside me, sewing patches of cloth for a quilt, agreed. She looked up when the car went by. "That's certainly faster than how we travelled when I was your age, Dennis." "What did you use, Grandmother Jane?" I rubbed the dirt from my hands and sat on the ground beside her chair. "You couldn't go very far in your travois." "We used the travois for short trips, dear, but the Metis of the Red River Settlement were famous for their Red River carts. You think that Model T Ford is noisy, do you? You should have heard the noise made by a thousand Red River carts. The Indian people said they made so much noise that the buffalo hid in holes in the ground. Some settlers said that the squeaking and creaking of cart wheels made their blood run cold." "Ooh," I grinned, "just like mine does when I scrape my fingernails across a slate." "Well, imagine a thousand of them and you'll know what I mean," smiled Grandmother Jane. "But why were the carts so noisy?" "Because every part was made of wood, and you know what wood scraping on wood sounds like. We had no oil in those days, just buffalo grease. And even if you had greased the wheels, they would have been choked by the dust that the carts threw up from the dry prairie." Grandmother Jane showed me a picture of a Red River cart. It looked pretty rickety. Its two wooden wheels were gigantic, almost six feet high. They were dish-shaped or bowed in such a way that their rims didn't cut deeply in the ground but rolled more easily over the bumps. The axles were just small logs lashed together with buffalo hide. Grandmother Jane said the hide was put on wet so that it shrank tight when it dried. Between the wheels there was a box or platform surrounded by a thin railing. Before they had spokes, the wheels were merely slabs from tree trunks with a hole in the middle for an axle. You wouldn't think that a cart like that could carry up to a thousand pounds, but Grandmother Jane said a Red River cart was strong enough to carry the family and all their skins and furs and household belongings. A cart was sometimes so heavy that it needed three oxen to pull it. They floated across rivers too. The wheels were taken off, strapped them to the bottom of the platform and covered everything with buffalo skins. Then the cart was tied to the horse's tail with a shaggannappi and the horse swam across the river pulling the cart. A shaggannappi was a thong made of green buffalo hide. Rope wasn't strong enough. Although the idea behind the Red River cart probably came from the Scottish Highlands and French Quebec, it was the Metis people of the Red River who developed it. The Metis used Red River carts so much that the Cree called the Metis by a name which meant "half wagon, half man." Metis were the first to use Red River carts to bring home meat from the hunt and crops from the fields. After 1852 when the railway reached the Mississippi River, Metis working for the Hudson's Bay Company used carts to freights goods between Fort Garry and St. Paul in Minnesota. This became a more popular route than going north to York Factory in York boats, as they did before. Travellers also used Red River cars to go across the prairie to Fort Edmonton. But the most exciting time to use them must have been on buffalo hunts. Twice a year, usually June and September, as many as two thousand people .... Metis, Indians and a few whites .... met on the plains for a buffalo hunt. The Metis loved buffalo hunting. And how they loved to dress for it! The men wore their most colorful clothes .... blue corduroy pants, brass buttons, red flannel sashes, jaunty caps and moccasins worked with all kinds of beads and quills. The Metis usually gathered at one of two places .... White Horse Plain, about twenty miles west of Fort Garry; and Pembina, seventy-five miles south of Fort Garry. They took up so much space they must have looked like an army. Janes father, Henry Howse, led one of the bands. "He was a caravan master." He got the carts lined up in their proper positions. He tried to place a cart with older men beside one with younger children so that the strongest could help and protect the weakest. Then he'd call out each family's name and each had to answer with its own bird call. The Howse families call was a Loon. The caravan master knew all the calls, and from time to time, he used them along the trail to check that each family was getting along all right. Grandmother Jane told me there were several ways to hunt buffalo. One way was to surround the animals on the open plain, then ride round and round to drive them into the center of a corral. Another way was to chase them into a pen or a pound made of brush. A third way was to chase them over a steep cliff or cut bank in the river. The buffalo wouldn't be able to stop when they got to the edge, and over they'd go to their deaths .... whole herds at a time. This method was called a jumping pound. Our family didn't suffer as much as others did. Her father worked for wages at the Hudson's Bay Company. It brought in food from St. Paul, Minnesota. My brothers set nets in the ice for catfish and pike. My sisters and I scoured the bushes for late-season berries and rose hips. We snared rabbits and got foxes in dead falls. And fortunately we had some pemmican left over from the year before. The Metis people in the Red River Settlement were famous throughout the plains for their first-grade pemmican. In those days pemmican was a mixture of dried buffalo meat, melted buffalo fat and dried summer berries.
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Livingston
Patrick Best Joseph Howse was a fur trader and an explorer. There is a Howse River, a Howse Mountain, a Howse Pass and on some very old maps of the United States, there is a trading post near the town of Kalispell, Montana named Howse's House. Joseph Howse built a fur-trading post called Howse's House which at one time was the most westernly of all the Hudson's Bay Company forts. Joseph Howse was lucky growing up in Cirencester, England because he was one of the few children that got a good education and became a writer. At the age of twenty-one, he left England and set sail for Rupert's Land, as Canada was called then. He had a job as a clerk for the Company of Adventures of England trading into Hudson's Bay. Joseph Howse landed in Rupert's Land through the Hudson Bay at York Factory. He landed in a 200-ton frigate called the, "King George." Joseph stayed two years in York Factory, working as a clerk, keeping the Company's records. York Factory fort buildings were set up on pilings because the land around Hudson Bay was flat, barren and prone to flooding. The fort kept sinking and the cellars had to be pumped out every two or three days. Joseph knew the different kinds of fur and what each was worth in trading goods. The Company didn't give Indians money. It gave tokens stamped with the letters M.B. for Made Beaver. The Indians got one token for a prime-quality beaver pelt. So if a blanket was worth then M.B.'s, the Indian would have to give the trader ten of his best beaver pelts. Joseph had to learn how to survive in the bush..........to get food, fish, hunt for hares, ptarmigan and caribou, canoe and portage and snowshoe. He had to learn the different Indian languages so he could deal with his customers. In Spring time when the ice went out from the rivers and the Cree Indians arrived in canoes with their furs and set up tipis outside the fort walls. Joseph would be too busy to be bored. He'd have to size up pelts of animals like beavers, marten, lynx and otter, work out their value, then trade the pelts for things like metal pots, woollen blankets, knives, iron tools or glass beads. Most of Joseph's customers were Cree. They hunted over a large area, larger still when they started trading with the white men. They looked for furs and buffalo all the way from Hudson Bay in the east to the Rocky Mountains in the west to Great Slave Lake in the north. Joseph got along with the Cree people because he traded fairly. He took the time to learn their languages, he visited them in their tipis and got to know their families. We don't know exactly where it happened because he and the Indians were always moving, but he fell in love with a Cree girl and asked her father if he could marry her. She took the English name of Mary. Joseph got along so well with the Indians that in 1809 the Hudson's Bay Company sent him on his longest trip yet, west along the North Saskatchewan to Edmonton House or, as they sometimes say, Fort Edmonton. Joseph Howse met David Thompson in 1809 at the Kootenay Plain, a level meadow in the middle of mountains at the headwaters of the North Saskatchewan River. When they met, David Thompson going south the Joseph was on his way back to Fort Edmonton after scouting a pass through the Rocky Mountains. In 1810, Joseph Howse made another long trip. He left Fort Edmonton with sixteen men, including four Indian guides, and became the first man from the Hudson's Bay Company to cross the Rocky Mountains and travel south into what we now call Montana. He used the same route across the Rockies that David Thompson of the North West Company had used three years earlier. It was David Thompson who officially named this pass across the Rockies after Joseph Howse. So this is how Howse Pass got its name. Howse Pass is the link between the headwaters of the Howse River, a branch of the North Saskatchewan River, and Blaeberry River, a tributary of the Columbia River. Howse Mountain is nearby. After all his travelling through the west, Joseph retired back to Cirencester, England and spent his later years writing a book called A Grammar of the Cree Language. Joseph left his family back in Rupert's Land because the Hudson's Bay Company didn't allow them to travel along. They had tried it in earlier days but Indian wives were lonely in England and got sick. Later, people stayed, and settled around trading posts along the Red River, and that's where many Metis families were raised. Howse Pass (elev. 1,525 meters), occasionally touted in recent times as a practical highway route to shorten travel time between Edmonton and Vancouver, was crossed in 1810 by Joseph Howse, a Hudson's Bay Company trader. The pass had been crossed earlier in 1807 by David Thompson, who gave it the name Howse Pass on his 1814 map. Howse had been in charge of Carlton House, near present-day Prince Albert, Sask., from 1799 to 1809. He retired to England in 1815. The Mistaya Canyon trailhead is located at kilometre 71, and from this point forth be on the lookout for black bears and the other large animals that call this area home. While crossing the bridge over the North Saskatchewan at kilometre 76 in the spring of 1996, park wolf researcher Carolyn Callaghan watched a gray wolf loping along the river's edge directly below. This area is known as the Saskatchewan River Crossing, or The Crossing, because it is where the pack trains of the explorers and fur traders in the 1800s used to cross the river on route to the wilds of British Columbia. It is the meeting place of the waters of the Howse River, the Mistaya River and the North Saskatchewan. To understand why to preserve the Howse, take a hard lookat the Bow Valley The pristine Howse Valley: You can count on two hands the few which remain. You can count the principal wild valleys of Banff National Park on two hands: the Alexandra, the Cascade, the Pipestone, the Clearwater, the Siffleur, the Red Deer, the Palliser and the Howse. Although the integrity of some is threatened by logging, by gas and oil exploration, and by recreational development outside the park, these valleys are large enough, and in some cases remote enough, to have withstood the pressures of development originating within the park. With their spectrum of relatively pristine habitats, they stand as mute counterpoint to the Bow, the Spray, the Mistaya, the North Saskatchewan, the Minnewanka and many lesser valleys that have forever been transformed by road access and subsequent development. They anchor the waning promise that Banff National Park can continue as a viable ecological reserve, with a wild, still-beating heart. To propose a new road into any of these wild valleys is to fire a crossbow bolt into the gut of wilderness. Nonetheless, the ill wind of clamour for a "Howse Pass Highway" is once again blowing from central Alberta. The 1988 management plans for Banff, Jasper, Yoho and Kootenay national parks called for the survey and legislation of wilderness. Environmentalists applauded. In Banff National Park, such surveys would result in protection by order in council of 93% of the landscape. But almost eight years later, the Canadian public is still waiting for Parks Canada to comply with this instruction, contained in a document of its own making. The impediment? The surveys are time-consuming and costly. By way of contrast, in a span of just over three years, Parks Canada will have shepherded the proposal to twin 17 kilometres of the TransCanada Highway in Banff National Park from political promise to actual pavement. In doing so, it will have spent approximately $30 million of the taxpayers' money. The public requires no more lucid example of the grossly misplaced priorities of Parks Canada--the agency charged with preserving and protecting for all time Canada's natural heritage, and whose first priority is supposed to be the maintenan
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Howse
Patrick Best History on Henry Howse Henry Howse had a scrip application on August 19, 1875 at High Bluff, County of Marquette, Manitoba.; Henry Howse; High Bluff, Marquette; Farmer; HB Head: wife and children; born 1836; St. Andrews; Father: Henry Howse (HB); Mother, Jane Spence (HB); Henry Howse; 20 August 1875; Andrew Spence and George Adams. C-14934 (MBS Scrip Applications, Original White Settlers & Half-breed residing in Manitoba on July 15, 1870, RG15-19, C-14934) Claim Numbers on the scrip are No. 788 to 791 and N. 86 to 89 claim of Jane, Matilda, Henry and Isabella Howse (spelled House on scrip). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 Reference: RG15 , Interior , Series D-II-8-a , Volume 1321 , Reel C-14929 , Access code: 90 File Title: Scrip affidavit for House, Henry, concerning the claims of his children: Jane House; born: December 25, 1858; Matilda House; born: December 15, 1858; Henry House Jr.; born: May 23, 1867; Isabella House; born: May 10, 1869 Finding Aid number: 15-19 This is taken from the 1881 Canadian Census: Census Place: Woodlands, Marquette, Manitoba, Canada Source: FHL Film 1375919 NAC C-13283 Dist 186 Sub Dist L Page 33 Family 154 Sex Marr Age Origin Birthplace Henry HOUSE; M; M; 46; English M; Manitoba Occ: Farmer Religion: Church of England Elizabeth HOUSE; F; M; 45; English M; Manitoba Religion: Church of England Henry HOUSE; M; 15; English M; Manitoba Religion: Church of England Margaret HOUSE; F; 11; English M; Manitoba Religion: Church of England Harriet HOUSE; F; 8; English M; Manitoba Religion: Church of England Sarah HOUSE; F; 4; English M; Manitoba Religion: Church of England Alexander HOUSE; M; 2; English M; Manitoba Religion: Church of England
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Howse
Patrick Best Fernando Howard was a Civil War Veteran. Fernando James Howard and his wife, Alice were the earliest settlers of North Bend. Their sons, Frank and Ralph and son-in-law Will Campbell had filed on the first three homesteads in the district, October 22, 1906, Fernando James Howard (Grandpa Howard) and the eldest son Bert, followed them the following spring. Floyd Howard did not follow the family to this county until 1920. Fernando's parents, John and Mary Howard owned a plantation in Missouri and owned slaves. Fernando was just about to own his first slave when slavery was abolished. In 1907, three generations of Howard's immigrated to the North Bend district. These people consisted of Fernando and Alice Howard Sr., Ralph, Bert, Frank, Floyd and sister Ruby, as well as Bert's son Clifford. They immigrated from Kansas along with the Houghmans, Mudges, Sidwells, Westgates and the Campbells. Knowing one another before they immigrated to the North Bend district encouraged a special spirit of cooperation, caring, sharing and giving. Ken Houghman recalled some of this camaraderie of 1911. He said, "I remember Mr and Mrs Howard Sr., who were so good to us and gave us many a meal. There wasn't anyone to show us how to farm so the pioneers had a hard time finding out how things should be done and nobody had any money." Fernando and Alice Howard were committed Christians and held daily Bible devotions that involved their entire family. They also home schooled all of their children. These people had a kindness and warmth that passed from one generation to the next. Their first concern was for people rather than material wealth. Fernando Howard received a Boer War pension and later Clifford Howard received a pension from the First World War. These pensions were a stable source of income in a land that was filled with uncertainty. The homestead of Fernando Howard, housed four generations of Howard's. Many loving memories and happy times live on in the hearts of all the Howard's that deeply appreciate their heritage. The Howard's were strong in character and lived a very clean life. They were people orientated and lived by the fundamental principles of honesty, integrity, hard work and a focus on God. Broome County's History Until the end of the American Revolution, this area was inhabited by Native Americans. Two main settlements were found at Onaquaga, near present-day Windsor, and Otseningo, located along the Chenango River, just north of the present-day City of Binghamton. Smaller Settlements could be found at Chugnuts, Castle Creek and the Vestal area. As part of the Iriquois Confederacy, and considered a threat to the revolutionists' efforts, the Sullivan-Clinton campaign was used to remove the Native American population. After the conclusion of the Revolution, the land was divided among many land speculators, including William Bingham, who obtained over ten thousand acres at the confluence of the Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers, and the developers of the Boston Purchase (also called Boston Town Towns) which encompassed much of northers Broome, as well as parts of Chenango, Tioga and Tompkins Counties. William Bingham was a wealthy Philadelphia banker whose interest after the revolution was in land. Aside from this area, Bingham also owned over 500,000 acres of land in the state on maine. Bingham envisioned a new village at the meeting of the two rivers and hired local merchant Joshua Whitney to be his land agent. Whitney was responsible for the first street plan of the village, worked to entice new settlers to the area, and became the area's first elected representative to Albany. Bingham died in 1804, never visiting the area that would bear his name. Nonetheless, Whitney continued to work dilligently to build the new town. In 1806 the area was seperated from Tioga County, and the new county was named after Revolutionary War veteran and then Lieutenant-Governor John Broome. With the opening of the Erie Canal, this area, like many, sought their own canal to connect to the Erie to aid development. Finally in 1834, work began on the Chenango Canal, a 97 mile long engineering marvel which connected Binghamton in the south with Utica and the Erie Canal in the north. The first packet boat arrived in 1837 and new development followed the route of the canal. Despite the economic failure of the canal (it never made a profit), the county benefitted from the arrival of new settlers and merchandise, as well as providing a means of shipping finished goods in and out of the area. Mills sprang up along the southern end of the canal, and department stores and hotels rose along the retail corridor. In 1848, the Erie railroad arrived, and the coming of the ironhorse spelled the end for the canal. Within two decades the area had become a transportation hub, with north-south and east-west railroad lines and the canal. But by 1874, the Chenango Canal route was closed in Binghamton, the oly remnants being a proposed expansion along the Susquehanna River that would later become part of the Vestal Parkway. The period surrounding the Civil War saw great change for the area. Its leading politician, Daniel S. Dickinson, serve in the United States Senate from 1844-1850, and after the outbreak of the war spoke countlessly in favor of the Union. The needs for munitions and other war products brought assembly-line factory work to the area, and guns and other products were developed in this region. After the end of the war, the area enjoyed the fruits of the Industrial Revolution, and new major industries opened. Stow Manufacturing relied on the invention of the flexible shaft. The lumber industry was transformed into a large furniture and wagon business. Bay far, however, the area was truly changed with the arrival of the first cigar manufacturing company in the 1870's. By 1890 over fifty factories were operating with five thousand people involved in the manufacture of over 100 million cigars each year. Binghamton ranked only behind New York City as the top cigar making city in the country. Immigrants from Eastern Europe and other countries poured into the area to work in this industry, or one of the many other companies producing over two hundred different types of products by the turn of the century. As the area's population was doubling every ten to fifteen years, so was the area's municipalities. By 1900 the county had 16 towns, six villages and one city. Binghamton had the largest population, Despite the largeness of the cigar making industry,it had all but disappeared by 1930 due to the rise in popularity of the cigarette, automation, and labor unrest. Many of the former cigar workers took solace in finding employment in the factories of the Endicott-Johnson Shoe Corporation. Begun as Lester Brothers Boot and Shoe Company in Binghamton in 1854, it moved to create its own company town, Lestershire, to the west of Binghamton. Financial problems forced the sale of the company to a creditor and fellow shoemaker, Henry B. Endicott of Massachusetts in 1890. In 1899 he made former Lester Brothers factory forman, George F. Johnson, his partner. Johnson's Square Deal program quickly transformed the company into an industrial giant, with over 20,000 employees by the mid 1940's, and a production of 52 million pairs of shoes each year. Johnson's and E-J's philanthropy included the donation of parks, land for churches, two libraries and the six wooden carousels still in use today. At the same time Johnson City (formerly Lestershire) and the planned community of Endicott (incorporated in 1906) were growing, so too was a firm that started in Binghamton in 1889 as the Bundy Manufacturing Company. Involved in timer clock production, it merged with several other firms and went througha variety of names before hiring Thomas Watson, Sr. in 1914. His corporat
Dec 01, 2002 · posted to the surname Howard
View all Patrick's Comments...