Holly Banks

Recent Activity

to leave a message for Holly Banks

Holly's Biographies

Holly hasn't created any biographies yet.

Holly's Surnames

Holly hasn't any surnames yet.

Holly's Comments

Holly Banks Written on a paper bag and found among Clifton's momentos. Down the distance separating There's a mother waiting, waiting Waiting while her life endures Yearning for a loving letter which Shall make her hurt heart better Is that mother yours? Somewhere where the postman lingers Are a mother's reaching fingers Ever hoping to be thrilled Fingers which have served and blessed you And whose tender touch caressed you Shall they not be filled? Somewhere where the stars are gleaming Theres a mother lies a dreaming Of the hopes her days contain And her mother face grows tender At the message you shall send her Is her dream in vain? Past all waiting past all weeping Somewhere theres a mother sleeping Under God's eternal blue And her last sigh spent it's thought on One who seemed to have forgotten Tell me, was it you? Submitted by Holly Banks, granddaughter of Clifton Maywood Hammett
Apr 15, 2004 · posted to the surname Hammett
Holly Banks Robert Lee Johnson was born October 2, 1895 in Clinchport, Virgina to Dock J. Johnson and Elizabeth Hensley, a woman believed to have been married to Dock, although no documentation has been found. Robert was the middle child with 2 sisters. Family oral history relates that Robert may have had a brother, Charlie. Growing up in the hills of Scott County, Virginia provided little opportunity for economic advancement. With little education, Robert found working in the coal mines his only means of livlihood. Robert married Eura Estelle Sproles June 2, 1917 in Wise County, Virginia. Together they had seven children and growing up poor was a way of life. As related by Robert's son, Donnie, "My dad was not a nice man and liked to tell stories." "I don't remember anything good about him and I hardly ever saw him." "I only remember him beating my mother and moving another woman into our house and having a baby with her at the same time my mother was having a baby." Robert spent much of his time away from home working in the coal mines and binge drinking on the weekends. Much of the money made was drank away in moonshine. He managed to afford a brand new car and a gun collection. His family was left to fend for themselves and often went hungry. The crime is said to have happened in Clintwood about 1936. Robert, while out with a couple of drinking buddies was assisted into the back seat of his new car. He was about to be driven home in a drunken state. Reaching for his favorite gun he kept under the driver's seat, it went off and shot and killed the passenger. He was struck through the seat and into the back killing him instantly. It is said to have been an accident while under the influence. Another story relates that possibly Robert, while lying in his back seat about to be driven home, thought his new car was about to be stolen when coming to. Reaching for his gun, shot his passenger, killing him instantly. Whichever story is correct, Robert was sentenced to what was then known as "The Virginia State Farm", in Richmond, Virginia, for a term of ten years. While serving his time, Robert became ill. It is believed that he suffered from stomach cancer from all the rot gut whiskey he drank. It is said that he was released early due to his illness. Eura was at his side when he died one day after his fiftieth birthday. Robert left a wife and six children along with possibly two or more illegitamate children. Robert Lee Johnson is buried in Holston View Cemetery, Webber City, Scott County, Virginia and is next to his father, Dock J. Johnson with wife, Myrtle. I must follow up for particulars and research Clintwood newspapers and court proceedings to find evidence of this crime. I would also like to research "The Virginia State Farm", and possibly prison records. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Submitted By Holly Banks, granddaughter to Robert Lee Johnson
May 18, 2004 · posted to the surname Johnson
Holly Banks December 23, 1972, as written by Jeanette Mildred Hammett Johnson Accident happened at the intersection of routes 89 and 250 at approximately 1p.m. Jeromesville Fire Department received the call at this time. Firemen pulled Dad out of the car and Cindy was underneath him, apparently alright. Fire Chief took her home with him. Mom got a call from Mansfield General Hospital at approximately 5:40p.m. to tell her of the accident. She called me right away saying something's wrong with Dad. I hung up the phone and ran out with Burl and Holly. We came back home for 5 minutes and then went to the hospital in Mansfield. We saw Dad. Poor Dad. His head and face so cut up, his eye purple and swollen shut. He could say yes and no. We got to the hospital around 8:p.m. It was awful to see him lying there so helpless, with his arms in wrist restraints. The hospital said that he had been taken to Ashland Hospital first where an IV had been started. Then, because Dad had told them he had brothers in Mansfield, they transferred him to Mansfield. We left the hospital and went to the State Highway Patrol. He told us that there was a 3 car collision caused by failing to make a stop on route 89. From here we went to Jeromesville to get Cindy. She seems fine, but scared. We got home around 11p.m. Holly spent the night with Nana. The accident occurred while Clifton was going to Mansfield to put wreaths on his parents graves. He did not make it. The accident was his failure to stop and his dog, Cindy was uninjured. Clifton was known to his grandchildren as "Gampy" and Margaret was known to her grandchildren as "Nana". Submitted by Holly Banks, granddaughter of Clifton Maywood Hammett
Apr 15, 2004 · posted to the surname Hammett